proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

Hey guys, was wondering which suspension components cause ride height unevenness in the front?

Background: Car was found with wheels stolen resting on front passenger rotor (halfway off crates) and noticed that front passenger ride height is half an inch lower than drivers side. Took car to mechanic and they inspected all the components, alignment, specs, and found nothing to be wrong, just the pit of spec ride height difference on level ground. They're waiting on insurance to approve disassembling the suspension to inspect the springs.

Insurance is dragging their feet, (has been in the shop for a month now) citing covid related staffing issues to come and inspect it themselves after pics/video's "exhausted all options" for a remote inspection.

Any ideas on what can actually be wrong? And if it is most likely the springs? I have the option of paying the $800 out of pocket for springs install/alignment and would maybe get reimbursed if it solves the ride height issue. But feel like would rather wait for an approval from insurance so that if it doesn't work they'll pay.

Edit: Car has EDC and is a 2015 non-comp model.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bump, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Ride height is determined by the component stack up in line from the lower control arm mounts to the body, to the spindle, to the strut and spring.

If the underbody and spindle isn't damaged or bent it's most likely in the strut, spring, or upper mount.

There's some chance the bar could be tweaked as well, so check that. Also, the opposite rear corner could be the problem and it just shows more obvious in the front.
      09-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Ride height is determined by the component stack up in line from the lower control arm mounts to the body, to the spindle, to the strut and spring.

If the underbody and spindle isn't damaged or bent it's most likely in the strut, spring, or upper mount.

There's some chance the bar could be tweaked as well, so check that. Also, the opposite rear corner could be the problem and it just shows more obvious in the front.
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll take a look, and Google where those locations are. I did take it to a fairly reputable Indy shop and they did a visual inspection. alignment test, and checked the struts to see if it was in spec. They didn't take anything except the wheels apart because insurance is being difficult.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ride heights are never perfect..... your just sensitive to it now since there was an issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Ride heights are never perfect..... your just sensitive to it now since there was an issue.
Maybe, but, I've been looking into getting springs for months and have measured wheel gap (mostly with my fingers) here and there when close to pulling the trigger and it hasn't been that drastically different. Almost 4 fingers worth of gap in one side. What's are height differences in your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvsixaxisvll View Post
Maybe, but, I've been looking into getting springs for months and have measured wheel gap (mostly with my fingers) here and there when close to pulling the trigger and it hasn't been that drastically different. Almost 4 fingers worth of gap in one side. What's are height differences in your car?
Well springs will not fix it, only HAS kits or coil overs. I always measure from center of axle to fender lip or if you plan on always keeping the same div wheels from the upper wheel lip to fender lip. never measure in the garage always drive down a semi level street and roll to a gentle stop. shut off in gear do not pull brake...it lifts the rear.
Appreciate 0