Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
Darkmann
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Does Switching Between Modes Healthy for the Car?

MY18 CP DCT
So we have default driving (Efficient/Sport/Sport) I believe, then we have M1 and M2 which are driver settable. Is that same for MT cars?

My M1 = Sport/Sport/Sport, and my M2=Sport+ all the way. I try to move between all three modes when the car is stopped (but do change suspension setting on the fly depending on road condition). I do that because even at city driving, there is a clear difference in response from my M1 to M2 at a given throttle level. I like M2 with the exhaust burble, but with the DCT, it seems like it is meant for highway 70+ mph driving. You folks with MT may have a different experience. So, does it hurt the system, changing driving modes on the fly? Or is it a nothing to worry about until I buy my next M3 thing?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

You're definitely over analyzing this. Just hit the button and go. If BMW engineers didn't want you to change driving modes with the car in motion, they would have disabled this feature.
Appreciate 3
      09-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Drive it like you stole it.

It actually hurts the car to drive it slow and stupid, it struggles, it makes shit exhaust noises, the dct gets clunky as it is not warm, the throttle response suffers.

Just make sure you drive it hard and the car stays healthy no matter the mode. If you drive it slow you risk breaking things
Appreciate 13
2011ninja3396.00
AlterZgo1537.50
xxHRxx47.50
Pseudolus134.50
HotRodM4685.50
TimmyM56241.50
gripenM83.00
CYANiDE167.00
      09-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post

It actually hurts the car to drive it slow and stupid, it struggles, it makes shit exhaust noises, the dct gets clunky as it is not warm, the throttle response suffers.

Just make sure you drive it hard and the car stays healthy no matter the mode. If you drive it slow you risk breaking things
Don't forget your M3 is a predator

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:

Ahahaha i am not even kidding though any time i drive this car in a tame manner it sounds like it is going to break down at anytime, i hear all sorts of metal and clunky garbage.

It sucks
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ahahaha i am not even kidding though any time i drive this car in a tame manner it sounds like it is going to break down at anytime, i hear all sorts of metal and clunky garbage.

It sucks
You are 100% correct; and totally agree!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Drive it like you stole it. Switch modes all day, every day. It makes zero difference to this car.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
gripenM83.00
      09-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It sucks
You are 100% correct; and totally agree!
Could not agree more. In Efficient/Comfort this thing is worse than a Prius

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:24 AM   #9
Darkmann
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
You're definitely over analyzing this. Just hit the button and go. If BMW engineers didn't want you to change driving modes with the car in motion, they would have disabled this feature.
Yes, I am probably overdoing this, but I am also an aero and mech engineer and I have a pretty good idea how engineers think. It's the same engineers who don't offer Efficient/Comfort/Comfort as default. Ever wonder why?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:34 AM   #10
Darkmann
Private
Rep

Quote:

You are actually making my point. Most city driving is 35 mph and most residential driving is at 25 - 30 mph. So, per your last sentence, how much of a risk am I taking driving in all Sport in the city with DCT warm? At 35 mph, I can't really drive it slow and "stupid." On highway, I'm all Sport and usually swift!
Appreciate 1
HyeM3464.50
      09-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #11
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
Yes, I am probably overdoing this, but I am also an aero and mech engineer and I have a pretty good idea how engineers think. It's the same engineers who don't offer Efficient/Comfort/Comfort as default. Ever wonder why?
Because an M car isn't comfortable by default? Lol, the comfort mode is just there so the mass market doesn't complain, the car starts up in sport because that's what it does best. Fair question, but it's like asking why does a 5 series start up in comfort mode if you see what I'm saying.

I think the efficient part is for if you have family or valet driving they don't get startled by the sharp throttle in sport / sport plus. anyone driving your car, whether it's a valet or family moving it around the driveway, who's used to commuter cars, should have it in efficient because the throttle is very sharp in sport modes.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:42 AM   #12
Darkmann
Private
Rep

OK, general reply to all: You are all insane, in a complimentary way,and have answered my question. I do run the M3 (I hope my wife does not read this) when I'm cruising without my wife in the car. She has a SL400 but she can get bad ass as required. I'll leave to the moderator to kill this thread.

Last edited by Darkmann; 09-21-2020 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You are actually making my point. Most city driving is 35 mph and most residential driving is at 25 - 30 mph. So, per your last sentence, how much of a risk am I taking driving in all Sport in the city with DCT warm? At 35 mph, I can't really drive it slow and "stupid." On highway, I'm all Sport and usually swift!
I would drive it strong and swift in the city too ahah, at least i do, my revs rarely go under 2.5k. I am always the douchebag accelerating hard from the lights.

It isn't to show anyone up or act like a dick, it's just that i really think the car is very annoying to drive in the city when you aren't driving hard, my main complaint is the clunky noises of dct as well as the jerkiness. Then comes the exhaust being raspy and not clean, even the engine feels out of sorts, sometimes i am giving it throttle and it is not that sensitive. Overall the car is just lazy.

On the freeway/backroads it is a whole different story. I had to go help a friend out 2 hours and 27 minutes away on a mix of highway/back country roads with posted speed limits of 100 km/h. I did the trip in 1 hour and 25 minutes. My average speed was around 175 an hour.

For once the car felt perfectly smooth and at home, no jerking, no clunky shifts, no raggedy throttle response.

Also when i opened the engine bay when i arrived everything was pretty much warm but not even close to hot while the intercooler was ice cold.

My conclusion is if your lifestyle allows it, drive it hard because it drives better that way, i don't think it hurts any components driving slow but i am weary of having the dct stay cold for so long.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #14
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:

yup can confirm she likes to be tossed around and treated rough
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #15
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would drive it strong and swift in the city too ahah, at least i do, my revs rarely go under 2.5k. I am always the douchebag accelerating hard from the lights.

It isn't to show anyone up or act like a dick, it's just that i really think the car is very annoying to drive in the city when you aren't driving hard, my main complaint is the clunky noises of dct as well as the jerkiness. Then comes the exhaust being raspy and not clean, even the engine feels out of sorts, sometimes i am giving it throttle and it is not that sensitive. Overall the car is just lazy.

On the freeway/backroads it is a whole different story. I had to go help a friend out 2 hours and 27 minutes away on a mix of highway/back country roads with posted speed limits of 100 km/h. I did the trip in 1 hour and 25 minutes. My average speed was around 175 an hour.

For once the car felt perfectly smooth and at home, no jerking, no clunky shifts, no raggedy throttle response.

Also when i opened the engine bay when i arrived everything was pretty much warm but not even close to hot while the intercooler was ice cold.

My conclusion is if your lifestyle allows it, drive it hard because it drives better that way, i don't think it hurts any components driving slow but i am weary of having the dct stay cold for so long.
How exactly do you warm up a Dct? Cause I see how higher (not high bc it's cold, just above regular driving) rpms/throttle warms up the engine. Which shift mode is it best to keep it in when it's cold ? Reason I'm asking is cause this is about to be my first winter with it in the northeast.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #16
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How exactly do you warm up a Dct? Cause I see how higher (not high bc it's cold, just above regular driving) rpms/throttle warms up the engine. Which shift mode is it best to keep it in when it's cold ? Reason I'm asking is cause this is about to be my first winter with it in the northeast.
When it is cold i generally keep it in S1 to start my day off as i live in Toronto and have been through 1 winter.

As engine warm up so does your transmission but generally as my car gets to operating temps i will switch into S2, hold revs out and just shift, in fact i will upshift downshift when not required and accelerate when i can to get it to temps.

My best test is if in first gear you can get to around 4k rpm and switch and it feels smooth the car is warmed up well enough. To do this on a cold day is a real challenge but i get super annoyed hearing clunky shifts so i make an effort to drive it hard to get it to temps.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x778.50
      09-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

The harder you drive it, the harder it is on components, the shorter the overall service lifespan. Whether you'll own it long enough to weigh on your wallet? YMMV.
      09-21-2020, 05:38 PM   #18
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
The harder you drive it, the harder it is on components, the shorter the overall service lifespan. Whether you'll own it long enough to weigh on your wallet? YMMV.
Uh it's a bit of give and take.

Potting around with the car never up to operating temps can shorten it's life span too.

I think the engineers built it in mind to handle 8 hour days at a track, i am sure us moving around at 60 mph on a lazy commute doing a pull here and there is a joke to the car.

As i said i did 1.5 hours of 110 mph+ driving non stop with constant acceleration from 70-130+ 10's of times through out the trip.

When i got out of the car and opened my hood the engine bay was barely above ambient temps, it felt like i went into a heated room sticking my head in there but not anywhere close to hot and my intercooler was ice cold.

I did the equivalent of a little finger blasting on the car essentially and in my day to day i pretty much give a kiss on the lips. BMW built it in mind so we can raw dog it no dome on.

Should be fine, but as i said before get the damn thing to operating temps at least and drive it hard keep things warm, warm = smooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #19
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:

I did the equivalent of a little finger blasting a kiss on the lips. raw dog it no dome on.

hard keep things warm, warm = smooth.
Wrong forum bud
SD ///M42992.00
arashir164.00
PhatLyfe985.00
      09-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #20
oduli81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
there is nothing more satisfying after the car warms up and you hit your preset m2 or m1 button while driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #21
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oduli81 View Post
there is nothing more satisfying after the car warms up and you hit your preset m2 or m1 button while driving.
100%

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #22
jvit27
Private
Rep
Drives: '99 M3, '04 M3