GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

05-26-2023, 03:48 AM   #1
Tpatty
Rep
Drives: None

F82 Buying Advice / Price Check

I've been wanting to get an F82 for the past few years but kept waiting to see if the prices go back down. I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on one but considering this would be my first M/BMW car, I'm not entirely sure what things I need to be looking for/be aware of when buying one.

I've come across one that I think may be a good car/price, but would like some input from more experienced users in the scene

The car is a CPO 2020 M4, 30k miles & 1 owner, listed for $62K. It has:

- Competition package
- M Driver package
- Executive package
- Full cameras
- Carbon fiber trim, brake handle, mirror caps & selector lever

The only drawback is the AY color; I'm not the biggest fan. But if the car is at a good price and in good condition, I can always wrap the car down the line so I'm not fully opposed to it.

Is this a good deal?
I'd also appreciate any advice for a first time used M car buyer!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 06:19 AM   #2
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
If it’s a CPO you’re probably covered. You might hear people talk about spun crank hubs, but that’s not really a widespread problem and primarily related to tuning. Overall, the S55 has been a rather solid platform in my experience.

While this probably won’t happen until 80-100k miles like previous N52, N54, N55 motors they will probably develop oil leaks with the oil filter housing gasket, valve cover, and oil pan.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 08:10 PM   #3
TRman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Of course condition is everything but it sounds like a reasonable price for the year and options. If it’s a good one and still has some warranty remaining, can’t go wrong. You won’t be disappointed. I’ve had my ‘16 M4 for about 5 months and would buy it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 09:07 PM   #4
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

CPO add 1 year to the mfg warranty......if you need that.

I bought a 19' M4CS that was offered ad CPO lease turn in. but since I had it transferred and purchased though a different deal IDK how it works and I didnt ask.

Seems like an ok deal but if you arent a fan of the color just be patient. location is important. I bought mine way under market and BB but had to pay $1500 to have it shipped.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 11:43 PM   #5
Tpatty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes1021 View Post
CPO add 1 year to the mfg warranty......if you need that.

I bought a 19' M4CS that was offered ad CPO lease turn in. but since I had it transferred and purchased though a different deal IDK how it works and I didnt ask.

Seems like an ok deal but if you arent a fan of the color just be patient. location is important. I bought mine way under market and BB but had to pay $1500 to have it shipped.
I've seen a lot of people in here mention they bought theirs out of state as well, but I've always wondered how it exactly works. Do you go and check out the car in person or just take a risk?

I've found a very similar 2020 M4 (no CPO) with 9k miles listed for $64K and it's actually a color I like, but this one is out of state so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Last edited by Tpatty; 05-27-2023 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 01:41 AM   #6
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep

I guess it depends.....

In my case the car was CPO with lots of pictures and maintenance recs. I took a chance, and just paid to have it shipped. Worst case I would have been out $1500...maybe...

I say maybe because Im not quite sure how they would have made me pay if I didn't purchase the car.

But it really depends 9K mi is still have plenty of factory warranty mileage wise. Time wise depends on the in service date, Id call and find out the in service date. Could have been sold at the end of 2019 or early 20 in which case the warranty has expired. If it was sold in late 2020 early 21 you MAY still have several months of factory coverage remaining.

Are you planning on moding/tuning? if so factory warranty may not matter. If not and you want the piece of mind then thats up to you.......

Last edited by snakes1021; 05-27-2023 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 10:32 PM   #7
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpatty View Post
I've seen a lot of people in here mention they bought theirs out of state as well, but I've always wondered how it exactly works. Do you go and check out the car in person or just take a risk?

I've found a very similar 2020 M4 (no CPO) with 9k miles listed for $64K and it's actually a color I like, but this one is out of state so I'm not sure how to go about it.
I got mine out of state through Carmax. I had to pay to have it shipped in. If it had been not as described I could have walked after seeing it in person and been out $1k. Mechanically if its CPO and has warranty left, and has a clean carfax you're probably not taking a huge risk. The cosmetic stuff is the biggest issue. Scratches you didn't see in the pics or they purposefully hid.

I'd probably contact a dealer and have the car held. Buy a RT ticket to go see it. Drive it back or ship depending on distance. Its worth the hassle to get the car you want imho.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 11:12 PM   #8
Tpatty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes1021 View Post
I guess it depends.....

In my case the car was CPO with lots of pictures and maintenance recs. I took a chance, and just paid to have it shipped. Worst case I would have been out $1500...maybe...

I say maybe because Im not quite sure how they would have made me pay if I didn't purchase the car.

But it really depends 9K mi is still have plenty of factory warranty mileage wise. Time wise depends on the in service date, Id call and find out the in service date. Could have been sold at the end of 2019 or early 20 in which case the warranty has expired. If it was sold in late 2020 early 21 you MAY still have several months of factory coverage remaining.

Are you planning on moding/tuning? if so factory warranty may not matter. If not and you want the piece of mind then thats up to you.......
I looked into it and the car only has 1 month left on the original warranty. As far as tuning, I do plan on tuning the car down the road but most likely not within the first couple months
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 11:15 PM   #9
Tpatty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
I got mine out of state through Carmax. I had to pay to have it shipped in. If it had been not as described I could have walked after seeing it in person and been out $1k. Mechanically if its CPO and has warranty left, and has a clean carfax you're probably not taking a huge risk. The cosmetic stuff is the biggest issue. Scratches you didn't see in the pics or they purposefully hid.

I'd probably contact a dealer and have the car held. Buy a RT ticket to go see it. Drive it back or ship depending on distance. Its worth the hassle to get the car you want imho.
I'm thinking about doing that; calling them and flying there to see it. My guess is that the car is most likely in good condition considering it's 1 owner with only 9k miles. The only thing that I'm a bit skeptical/confused about is that the Carfax doesn't show any service being done to the car throughout the years. It was essentially just bought and 3 years later sold and the only thing in between was an emission inspection.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:03 AM   #10
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpatty View Post
I'm thinking about doing that; calling them and flying there to see it. My guess is that the car is most likely in good condition considering it's 1 owner with only 9k miles. The only thing that I'm a bit skeptical/confused about is that the Carfax doesn't show any service being done to the car throughout the years. It was essentially just bought and 3 years later sold and the only thing in between was an emission inspection.
Just means the dealer probably didn't do it. Most places don't report and I wonder how consistent the dealer is. The car is pretty annoying about reminders so I doubt they just ignored them.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:10 PM   #11
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep

thats probably because it only has 9k miles. first oil change isnt supposed to be until 10k or 12 mos, I would assume someone didn't drive it so it is still original oil. or that the owner changed it themself.
Appreciate 0