Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

12-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
DarkSide24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Front lip - paint protection film worth it?

My car is not fitted with paint protection film, but wondering if it is worth having the Status Gruppe Carbon lip covered?

Has anyone done this with any lip on the M3/M4? Was it worth it?

For those that haven't, have you picked up damage? I'm thinking of stone chips mainly.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSide24
My car is not fitted with paint protection film, but wondering if it is worth having the Status Gruppe Carbon lip covered?

Has anyone done this with any lip on the M3/M4? Was it worth it?

For those that haven't, have you picked up damage? I'm thinking of stone chips mainly.

Cheers!
What's the point it's going to get scrapped?
      12-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
DarkSide24
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
What's the point it's going to get scrapped?
The car isn't lowered and I live in a flat part of the world. Obviously it may get scraped, but I think major damage will be avoided and scuffs to the bottom are more likely, if anything.

Protection film or not, I am going to put an edge guard along the base of the lip as has been seen in other threads.

Still curious to see if people have protected their lips (whatever the manufacturer) with film...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSide24 View Post
The car isn't lowered and I live in a flat part of the world. Obviously it may get scraped, but I think major damage will be avoided and scuffs to the bottom are more likely, if anything.

Protection film or not, I am going to put an edge guard along the base of the lip as has been seen in other threads.

Still curious to see if people have protected their lips (whatever the manufacturer) with film...
The detail shop that I frequent has done numerous wraps on lips. If you're anal about every chip on your car, it will help it from pitting from road debris, but nothing for scrapes. You'll want to get a metal plate installed underneath for that.
      12-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Got a metal plate installed under my front lip. I scrape all over the place and it's done a great job protecting the lip. Unfortunately for rock chips it seem to impact the Resin or clear coat or whatever is on the carbon fiber front lip and creates just about the nastiest chip I've ever seen. It's not even repairable as it's cracked underneath the clear coat.

Worse yet had clear bra put on it and on the way home there must have been another chip which tore the clear bra and put another crack/chip on the front lip. In retrospect clear bra on the front lip was not worth it..... At least with suntek... I found their film to be much thinner and just flat out crappier in general. Wish I went with Xpel.

After Suntek, new chip, failure to protect the carbon fiber, as well as rip/tear in the ppf itself.

Last edited by TheLegend; 12-02-2015 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Thanks for the feedback on Suntek. Glad I went with XPel Ultimate myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:57 AM   #7
DarkSide24
Private
Rep

I'm having the Status Gruppe lip wrapped in Xpel and will post some pictures and thoughts once it's done. Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0