Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-28-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Prepping the car for next chapter (horsepower)

I'm a big fan of preparation and a firm believer that the little details matter. While maintenance is not the most exciting thing, it really matters and its importance is often understated.

Below is my list of maintenance items recently done in preparation to custom tune the car for more potential. Would like to know if I'm missing anything else from a maintenance perspective. Thank you in advance!

FLUIDS CHANGED @ 55-60k miles:
Transmission Fluid (OEM)
Rear Differential Fluid (OEM)
Brake Fluid (Ate Typ 200 Boiling point - Dry 280°C (536°F) / Wet 200°C (392°F))
Coolant Flush (BMW) (forthcoming)

CONSUMMABLES REPLACED @ 55-60k miles:
Spark Plugs (NGK 1 degree colder)
Brake Pads - All 4 (OEM)

SUPPORTING UPGRADES PLANNED:
Performance Thermostat (-90c)
Front Sway Bar (H&R)

CURRENT MODS:
KW V3 Coilovers (20k miles on them)
Dinan Muffler Exhaust
Dinan X-Pipe
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3+
Everything else on the car is stock

Obviously depending on power goals, the typical often discussed mods will be added. My focus for this post is maintenance and support in the quest for "reliable power and performance" .... thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Since you’re planning on more power, I’d change the charge pipes and throw on a crank bolt capture before the thermostat and sway bar. I don’t remember seeing a thermostat in any of the build threads I’ve ever read on here.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #3
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Since you're planning on more power, I'd change the charge pipes and throw on a crank bolt capture before the thermostat and sway bar. I don't remember seeing a thermostat in any of the build threads I've ever read on here.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4 comp

Max cooling mode on bm3 is essentially like adding a lower temp thermostat. Charge pipes, e85, bm3 e85 tune (Cary) and crank hub fix would be my recommendation.
      04-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Willing to take a chance, and not to go to far? If yes do the CBC and Stage1 tune. If not then do the full replacement and you'll have peace of mind, and can go nuts on power.

I run a BPM Stage 1 tune+code package on my F80 but made sure to get Rev Match on to protect from a mis-shift or fast clutch drop. No problems with cracked or popped chargepipes after multiple full blast launches. No problems at all. Sounded real good with GTS burbles on full stock exhaust (can go for Extended Burbles too, or even Custom). Probably sound great on your Dinan back. If you want hands-on tune and coding help then Mike Benvo at BPM does a great job helping you get exactly what you want. I liked the benefit of an expert human being on the phone teaching me...repeatedly...until I was comfortable. Oh yeah, he has a great combo deal, just PM and ask him.

If you're good with full DIY then get a BM3 with unlimited OTS maps, and if you really need Stage "holy crap" only then would I add Cary's custom BM3 tune (~$500 more?).
      04-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #6
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

@BlownOne and TopJimmy .... thank you both for the insightful recommendations.

I'm probably going to stay away from E85 because I don't think the OEM injectors like it. What you save at the pump for extra octane might end up being paid back down the road in other more costly ways. Just my opinion on E85 and want to avoid the highly popular debate on this thread all together. There's a few threads going in the engine / bolt-on / tuning section about E85. Now if an aftermarket injector solution exists for the S55, more than happy to revisit this topic.

Yes, charge pipes and necessary hardware, for sure if we're aiming for more than 500whp.

The crankhub is an interesting topic. My last project was a 24v VR6 turbo into a B5 S4 which was quite $$$$. My gut tells me if I'm gonna pay for the 20 hours of labor I might as well get other work done too while it's all apart. So I'm taking the contrarian view and rather wait for it to spin. Call me crazy, I know. CBC for sure, TopJimmy.

PS - Car in stock trim does seem to pull harder with now a -90c thermostat installed vs -105c OEM. Good to do along with a coolant flush. Pleasantly surprised to think that coolant flowing 26F earlier would make the car pull that much harder.

Not trying to be a product cheerleader but I really do believe in the Red Line 5w50. When we installed the thermostat earlier this week, upon removing the undercarriage shield, there was no oil leakage from the stock turbos. This is 64k miles into the life of the car and hard daily driving (car sees at least 100mph a day and made it through 3 Chicago winters) ... Red Line is not cheap but the 2 things I have Iearned over the years is not to cheap out on are tires and motor oil.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

What thermostat?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
@BlownOne and TopJimmy .... thank you both for the insightful recommendations.

I'm probably going to stay away from E85 because I don't think the OEM injectors like it. What you save at the pump for extra octane might end up being paid back down the road in other more costly ways. Just my opinion on E85 and want to avoid the highly popular debate on this thread all together. There's a few threads going in the engine / bolt-on / tuning section about E85. Now if an aftermarket injector solution exists for the S55, more than happy to revisit this topic.

Yes, charge pipes and necessary hardware, for sure if we're aiming for more than 500whp.

The crankhub is an interesting topic. My last project was a 24v VR6 turbo into a B5 S4 which was quite $$$$. My gut tells me if I'm gonna pay for the 20 hours of labor I might as well get other work done too while it's all apart. So I'm taking the contrarian view and rather wait for it to spin. Call me crazy, I know. CBC for sure, TopJimmy.

PS - Car in stock trim does seem to pull harder with now a -90c thermostat installed vs -105c OEM. Good to do along with a coolant flush. Pleasantly surprised to think that coolant flowing 26F earlier would make the car pull that much harder.

Not trying to be a product cheerleader but I really do believe in the Red Line 5w50. When we installed the thermostat earlier this week, upon removing the undercarriage shield, there was no oil leakage from the stock turbos. This is 64k miles into the life of the car and hard daily driving (car sees at least 100mph a day and made it through 3 Chicago winters) ... Red Line is not cheap but the 2 things I have Iearned over the years is not to cheap out on are tires and motor oil.
Redline is good, but there's nothing wrong with factory. I fully agree with you on tires, I've see a ton of people put a ton of money in dialing in their build, and limit to crappy tires.

You're going to need to get over the fear of E85 if you want to make big power as mentioned in the other thread, most people do not experience any issues. Bosch injectors can be obtained much less (~$75ea) than purchasing from the dealership (~$300ea). Otherwise, look into running methanol/port injection.

Running a CBC only is not guaranteed to prevent you from a slipped hub.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #9
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I also see no issues with E85 and injectors. I could run an E85 map without going for max power and have no problems with stock injectors or plugs. I could also run a 100 octane map with high boost and still outrun stock injection and spark. It's all a balance.

These M cars are real race cars made for street use. It's easy to overpower beyond the driver's skill or enjoyment level. Trying to daily-drive my Stage 1 in Sport+ can be difficult, since I have a stick shift and my BPM tune comes on hard and fast. I suggest you add in steps to keep your fun lasting a while.

I'll leave trying E85 for the future, after I've done the crank hub (@Kies), NGKs and maybe a J-pipe meth kit.

Have Fun! Post pix and updates as you go.
      04-11-2020, 01:06 AM   #10
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4 comp

Gotta just do whatever makes your ocd happy and enjoy it, but my cars injectors and motor loves e85 haha. I also agree with Tom, tires are usually left Oem or not sticky enough to actually put the power down.
      04-11-2020, 03:10 AM   #11
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! Will update soon.
Appreciate 0