BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MW/SO

Instrument cluster option display issues?

Recently I was trying to customize what is displayed on the instrument cluster and ran into an apparent issue where none of the options below the dividing line in the settings are displayed regardless of what is selected. Anyone else have this issue or am I missing something?

Everything below the line in the settings appears to share the same space in the cluster, so I was unchecking them one by one from the top to see how each one looked. When I was finished I re-checked the box for range but nothing happened. Tried the other options and they wouldn't appear either. I can still toggle things above the line, like the digital speedometer but the bottom space in the cluster is blank now and it wasn't before.

Also, both mileage numbers in the cluster are showing the overall total, and I assumed resetting the trip counter would zero one of those but it didn't.

Feel free to tell me to if I'm missing something, but so far everything else has been pretty self explanatory and those two things are driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
You have to use the "BC" button at the end of the turn-signal stalk to scroll through the different items to be displayed.

By default, you will permanently see time and outside temperature and a third item that can be toggled with the "BC" button (such as fuel consumption, range, date, etc...)

If you select the digital speedo, then it is the digital speedo that becomes the constant item displayed with a second item that can be toggled with the "BC" button (time, outside temp, range, fuel consumption, etc...).

How did you proceed with resetting the trip odometer? You need the briefly press the "TC" button situated below the fuel gauge with the ignition on. If you press it with the ignition off, the odo, time and temperature will be displayed, but the trip odo will not reset. Further, if you press the "TC" button for too long with the ignition on, you will access the service menu instead of resetting the odo.
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-28-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You have to use the "BC" button at the end of the turn-signal stalk to scroll through the different items to be displayed.

By default, you will permanently see time and outside temperature and a third item that can be toggled with the "BC" button (such as fuel consumption, range, date, etc...)

If you select the digital speedo, then it is the digital speedo that becomes the constant item displayed with a second item that can be toggled with the "BC" button (time, outside temp, range, fuel consumption, etc...).

How did you proceed with resetting the trip odometer? You need the briefly press the "TC" button situated below the fuel gauge with the ignition on. If you press it with the ignition off, the odo, time and temperature will be displayed, but the trip odo will not reset. Further, if you press the "TC" button for too long with the ignition on, you will access the service menu instead of resetting the odo.
Thanks! Both mysteries solved and user error as I suspected was probably the case.

By dividing line I meant the one in the iDrive settings screen that separates the main options from those you can toggle with the BC button. I didn't realize I had to hit the BC button to load the first selected option again after disabling and re-enabling all of them.

For the TC I was resetting it with the option in the iDrive menu, which apparently doesn't reset the TC odo reading. After hitting the button below the fuel gauge the TC mileage was reset on the odo.

Looks like it's time for me to go back and read the manual in more detail. I'm sure I'm probably missing out on some nice features that I haven't stumbled across yet. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetkin View Post
Thanks! Both mysteries solved and user error as I suspected was probably the case.

By dividing line I meant the one in the iDrive settings screen that separates the main options from those you can toggle with the BC button. I didn't realize I had to hit the BC button to load the first selected option again after disabling and re-enabling all of them.

For the TC I was resetting it with the option in the iDrive menu, which apparently doesn't reset the TC odo reading. After hitting the button below the fuel gauge the TC mileage was reset on the odo.

Looks like it's time for me to go back and read the manual in more detail. I'm sure I'm probably missing out on some nice features that I haven't stumbled across yet. Thanks again!
I've been 18 month into ownership, have read the manual multiple times and I am still learning cool stuff about our cars . Just so much to learn and figure out .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I've been 18 month into ownership, have read the manual multiple times and I am still learning cool stuff about our cars . Just so much to learn and figure out .
Share with us CanAutM3!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
PYT
Registered
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

CanAutM3, thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:30 AM   #7
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetkin View Post

When I was finished I re-checked the box for range but nothing happened. Tried the other options and they wouldn't appear either. I can still toggle things above the line, like the digital speedometer but the bottom space in the cluster is blank now and it wasn't before.

I have a 2018 M3 and I experienced this exact same thing today This thread really helped me out, but just thought it was funny that now a full two years later people (i.e. me) are still experiencing this issue. C'mon BMW, get a clue
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I can't get anything else to display in the left cluster where the ///M is
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
It's a static display. There are no options for that space. Such a waste of real estate.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #10
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
It's a static display. There are no options for that space. Such a waste of real estate.
That was a sarcastic post but I just wanted someone to chime in
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

They made a small detail into a big issue. Who would of knew about the bc button. Thought my fuse gauge broke lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3classic View Post
They made a small detail into a big issue. Who would of knew about the bc button. Thought my fuse gauge broke lol.
Complaint:

"I wish that BMW would document some of these features in my car!"

Solution:

BTW, whats a "fuse gauge"?

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:32 AM   #13
AAA2610
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3E30,M3E36,M3E46,M3E92,M3F80

Dear CanAutM3
Grettings from Portugal,
I am a new member but following this forum for Years!
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for this info for 1.5 years, since the time I bought my F80!
I need Your help! I want change in my instrument cluster the digital speedo for the time/Temp. I pressed the "TC" button situated below the fuel gauge with the ignition off like You are sugesting but nothing happens! What am I doing wrong? Can You make a video or something that can help me?
Thank You
António
Appreciate 0