Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

05-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

How many lease payments would you suck up if you found your "perfect next car"?

I have three months left on my 2017 340 lease. I found a 17 M3, 8000 miles, three years remaining on the warranty. The car has a competition package, executive package, driver assist plus, ceramic brakes, as well as the 19 inch 437 wheels that I prefer for these horrible roads where I live.The price is great. There may be a little wiggle room. I like the color of the car as well, my only possible negative is the cloth interior with the competition seats. I need a that I think I like. And the last thing is it's at a dealer not too far from me, from where I've bought a car before from the salesman I bought a car from previously.

So the question is, The reality is I would just return my car early. So I'm going to take a hit on the lease payments, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to find a similar car in the next three months. I could roll the dice and say I'm not gonna waste the money. The flipside is, I'm going to buy that car, so whether I buy it now or in three months, does it really matter? I probably won't pay the entire thing in cash, although if I did, I think it will be a little more palatable for me to say I'm losing three payments, but I was going to make those payments anyway, why not just get the car now.I last consideration is if I wait until August/September to get the car, I'm only going to get two months of nice weather if I'm lucky before I have to put winter wheels on it and essentially drive it only on the OK days for the next five months.

My opinion is fuck it. You only live once. In six months I won't even be thinking about those lease payments. But, what do you want more rational folks lthink?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I ate 5 payments on my last 335 to get into my M3 back in 2016. The 335 payment wasn't big so overall it was worth it to not lose out on an M3 at almost the same payment.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Does the selling dealer know of your situation? They might be willing to work with you a bit and cover some of the payments...or work some positive shenanigans if they’re a franchised BMW dealer. If you were buying/leasing new, i know that they would most likely let you ‘pull ahead’ with no future payments...but you’re not buying new. Still, it doesn’t hurt to ask
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
      05-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
You've said that you don't like the seats, so how is this the perfect car?

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Does the selling dealer know of your situation? They might be willing to work with you a bit and cover some of the payments...or work some positive shenanigans if they're a franchised BMW dealer. If you were buying/leasing new, i know that they would most likely let you 'pull ahead' with no future payments...but you're not buying new. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask
They will know more in detail and will likely do something to help... but the car appears to be priced quite fairly. But I intend to investigate creative options
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
You've said that you don't like the seats, so how is this the perfect car?
It should have read "and even that I think I like"

I don't know how I feel about the seats. I do like them, but do I love them... or at least are they acceptable... that's my only hang up

So it's a near perfect car, given miles, price, options, warranty, proximity. I won't find PERFECT, but it only has one thing that I don't find to be my exact preference. But, unless I'm gonna order it, I doubt it will be PERFECT, and even then, I will find something.

So if I'm being more precise, it's is "nearly perfect"
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2594.00
      05-18-2019, 09:59 PM   #7
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Check the carfax. Did it originate from NJ? M school car bro.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #8
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It did not, from the best I can tell
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #10
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Car fax actually shows it originating in Ohio, but how can I definitively find it it's an M school car? Would m school cars have executive package, and driver assistance plus packages? Do they have a normal window sticker?

Can you run the VIN, and see if it was used in an M school? That's concerning
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #11
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Low mileage, ZCP, Carbon brakes, cloth seats? Highly likely it was a M School car
The more research I do, it's a definite possibility. For 58k with 3 years of factory warranty... would anyone consider this?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #12
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Don't do it OP. I feel like the cloth interior is either something you know you want or not. A few months into ownership you will looking at your interior and thinking wtf did I pay all this money and my car doesn't even have leather seats.

The ceramic brakes are really the only rare thing about that car. If you can live without those then there should be plenty of others to chose from.
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
      05-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #13
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

I ate more months of lease payments to get out of my last car and into something I really enjoy driving. If you can afford it and found the perfect car, I wouldn't bat an eye at eating 3 payments. Yeah I made a mistake leasing a car I got quickly bored with, but life is too short.

BTW, I love my cloth seats. If you aren't sure, then it doesn't sound like you found your perfect car.

Last edited by M3anth; 05-19-2019 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #14
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Low mileage, ZCP, Carbon brakes, cloth seats? Highly likely it was a M School car
So this is what I've found...

Car originated in Ohio. Dealer says it was likely a demo/executive loaner. It was then sold at auction. It was then titled once in 2018 and then sold to a dealer...

But if it was a demo, wouldn't the car show the initial dealership as ordering the car to be a demo or whatever?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #15
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post

Car originated in Ohio. Dealer says it was likely a demo/executive loaner. It was then sold at auction. It was then titled once in 2018 and then sold to a dealer...

But if it was a demo, wouldn't the car show the initial dealership as ordering the car to be a demo or whatever?
Is it CPOed or CPOable? Cloth seats with DCT and CCBs etc is a rare combo and would be a big red flag to me that it was a previous M School car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #16
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:

Is it CPOed or CPOable? Cloth seats with DCT and CCBs etc is a rare combo and would be a big red flag to me that it was a previous M School car.
It is not eligible for cpo because it is at an infiniti dealership, so they say...that dealership is affiliated with a BMW dealership, but the car is owned by infiniti dealership
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
It is not eligible for cpo because it is at an infiniti dealership, so they say...that dealership is affiliated with a BMW dealership, but the car is owned by infiniti dealership
Huh, why wouldn’t they just sell it at their BMW store? Too many red flags if it was me, but good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
electrifi8
Rep
Drives: i8, M3 CS, X2

This is a good problem to have. If you had more time on the lease, I would transfer it. As it is, a few months is not a bad price to pay for the car you want to drive next. Carpe diem!
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #19
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Huh, why wouldn't they just sell it at their BMW store? Too many red flags if it was me, but good luck with whatever you decide to do.
It's gotta be an M School car... all the evidence or lack of evidence points that direction. Now the question is at 58k for an 89k MSRP car with 3 years of warranty, and only 8k miles on it, would I take the chance...

I don't know the answer... I'm leaning towards no. Cuz for 10k more I can get a new 2018 M4
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      05-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #20
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Thats too much for that car I bought my 2017 last year with 9k miles 86k MSRP at 57K. You can get a 2018 comp used for 58k today.....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #21
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Not sure why you are so hung up on this car. The dealer has you right where they want you. This car as an 'executive loaner' translates to - "We couldn't sell it so we just drove the piss out of it for a few thousand miles dogging it out like there is no tomorrow."

Find a personal owned car and if you can't find that than even a leased car is a better proposition than this big red flag.

There are literally 100's of 2017 and 2018 cars out there probably within 500 miles of your doorstep.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #22
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I have three months left on my 2017 340 lease. I found a 17 M3, 8000 miles, three years remaining on the warranty. The car has a competition package, executive package, driver assist plus, ceramic brakes, as well as the 19 inch 437 wheels that I prefer for these horrible roads where I live.The price is great. There may be a little wiggle room. I like the color of the car as well, my only possible negative is the cloth interior with the competition seats. I need a that I think I like. And the last thing is it's at a dealer not too far from me, from where I've bought a car before from the salesman I bought a car from previously.

So the question is, The reality is I would just return my car early. So I'm going to take a hit on the lease payments, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to find a similar car in the next three months. I could roll the dice and say I'm not gonna waste the money. The flipside is, I'm going to buy that car, so whether I buy it now or in three months, does it really matter? I probably won't pay the entire thing in cash, although if I did, I think it will be a little more palatable for me to say I'm losing three payments, but I was going to make those payments anyway, why not just get the car now.I last consideration is if I wait until August/September to get the car, I'm only going to get two months of nice weather if I'm lucky before I have to put winter wheels on it and essentially drive it only on the OK days for the next five months.

My opinion is fuck it. You only live once. In six months I won't even be thinking about those lease payments. But, what do you want more rational folks lthink?
I ate 3 payments on my 2016 M3 to get my M3 CS, but I negotiated zero drive off (no registration, no fees) and first month free, so really, I only ate the equivalent of 1 payment. To me, that was worth it to get the color I wanted. I returned the car 2 months early to save 2 months of insurance payments. BMWFS will happily take your car early if you just write them a check for the remaining payments. However, in my case, I'm leasing, which is much cheaper with less exposure, so take that into consideration.

On a side note, cloth competition seats are a PLUS in my book!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0