European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICA

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #2817
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9119
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
I hate Facebook, but this is better than nothing!
... and maybe - JUST MAYBE! - it might actually help somehow!


__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-03-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn196958.00

      02-05-2020, 11:38 PM   #2818
MrPrena
Captain
MrPrena's Avatar
United_States
1520
Rep
800
Posts

Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Damn .I see . I know what you are talking about . Still miss my "Dina" (Riesenschnauzer) every single day !
Spanish in Finland ? Well...I'm not so sure if that is usefull .
But hey ! I write and speak 4 languages . But can't use it in a Japanese company !

Wait ! Yesterday we were talking in another thread . And suddenly I see (here) our posts somewhere else ?
Is this Twilight Zone ?

Meanwhile how are the potatoes in Finland ? 2 years ago you said to me you give it up ?

It's very.....Very nice Anna, to hear everything is just fine on your side !
Long time no see ///M Power-Belgium. How you been? Still have E92?
__________________
Beware of Jeff Oliver the fraud at Highland Expedition Outfitters (aka HEO or HEOutfitters) located in Cosby TN.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #2819
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
5883
Rep
1,786
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I couldn't help but sit in a RS3 on the way out of the dealership yesterday. I need to sell a lot more insurance......that was a nice car to sit in. The interior wasn't that great, but that's not what excites me about a car (I mean, I drive a 135).
I test drove the 2019 RS3 and a used 2017 S6 (the one with the 4.0 TT V8) in November on my birthday.

The RS3 is decent looking, though I have a slight problem with the proportions when you look at it from the side. I can't really describe it, but it just looks off to me. Still a car I obviously considered, since I took it for a drive.

The drive in the RS3 was fun in the sense that it was hilarious to put it in dynamic and hear the exhaust burble and crackle on overrun and that, but I thought that might get a little tiring in the end (though you can put it in comfort and all those sounds go away). The drive is good overall, definitely peppy, faster than the S6. I would say the interior left a little to be desired though, struck me as too much like an A3 / S3...little plain.

As you can see from my sig, I wound up in the S6, despite the RS3 being lighter, faster, and cheaper. What I loved about the S6 was the proportions were bang on for me, it was in that Audi blue that I loved, the engine just sort of feels like it is a steamroller, very smooth and just pulls. Not as snappy/peppy as the RS3, but it was what I wanted at my advanced age of 38.

Plus, if I ever go down the tuning route, there is a lot of power to be unlocked in that 4.0 TT V8...I just don't think the tranny will hold up to anything over Stage 1 for any significant period of time. This is a guess, but I suspect it is for this reason Audi went to a regular 8 speed auto in the RS7 which the S6 makes the same power in Stage 1 tune from APR...rather than the DSG in the S6.

Anyways, don't discount a used S6. The new ones are going down to the 3.0L six cylinder and that doesn't appeal to me as much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott9119.00

      02-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #2820
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
10438
Rep
13,161
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I couldn't help but sit in a RS3 on the way out of the dealership yesterday. I need to sell a lot more insurance......that was a nice car to sit in. The interior wasn't that great, but that's not what excites me about a car (I mean, I drive a 135).
I test drove the 2019 RS3 and a used 2017 S6 (the one with the 4.0 TT V8) in November on my birthday.

The RS3 is decent looking, though I have a slight problem with the proportions when you look at it from the side. I can't really describe it, but it just looks off to me. Still a car I obviously considered, since I took it for a drive.

The drive in the RS3 was fun in the sense that it was hilarious to put it in dynamic and hear the exhaust burble and crackle on overrun and that, but I thought that might get a little tiring in the end (though you can put it in comfort and all those sounds go away). The drive is good overall, definitely peppy, faster than the S6. I would say the interior left a little to be desired though, struck me as too much like an A3 / S3...little plain.

As you can see from my sig, I wound up in the S6, despite the RS3 being lighter, faster, and cheaper. What I loved about the S6 was the proportions were bang on for me, it was in that Audi blue that I loved, the engine just sort of feels like it is a steamroller, very smooth and just pulls. Not as snappy/peppy as the RS3, but it was what I wanted at my advanced age of 38.

Plus, if I ever go down the tuning route, there is a lot of power to be unlocked in that 4.0 TT V8...I just don't think the tranny will hold up to anything over Stage 1 for any significant period of time. This is a guess, but I suspect it is for this reason Audi went to a regular 8 speed auto in the RS7 which the S6 makes the same power in Stage 1 tune from APR...rather than the DSG in the S6.

Anyways, don't discount a used S6. The new ones are going down to the 3.0L six cylinder and that doesn't appeal to me as much.
C'mon, some of the best people I know own turbo sixes. You are spot on with the odd look of the three series Audi, but the price performance ratio Looks hard to beat.
__________________
My best amp goes up to 11........
Appreciate 1
Joekerr5882.50

      02-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #2821
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
5883
Rep
1,786
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
C'mon, some of the best people I know own turbo sixes. You are spot on with the odd look of the three series Audi, but the price performance ratio Looks hard to beat.
Its true, which is what drew me in. Happily, I now have the ability to wait to see what the new rs3 looks like which should be coming in 2021. If it looks good that could be the next car.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #2822
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
5883
Rep
1,786
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

GrussGott - I have to say - you called it on Tesla and the dramatic incline after earnings call. Sounds like the options market for Tesla is just insanely volatile though.

I've been thinking about an options account recently, low dollars, just something to play with. The rest of my wife's corp investments are staying in blue chip and managed by a wealth management group so I don't have to think too much about them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott9119.00

      02-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #2823
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
20485
Rep
12,021
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Long time no see ///M Power-Belgium. How you been? Still have E92?
My friend...What a pleasant surprise to hear from you again !
For a moment I thought is this real ? Damn I'm in the Twilight Zone !

Of course I still have my Silverstone M3-E92 . And I'm pretty sure you still miss yours ...

I'm super/crazy busy at work like usual . But I'm fine . Thank you my friend !
And I would love to know how you are ?
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:28 AM   #2824
MrPrena
Captain
MrPrena's Avatar
United_States
1520
Rep
800
Posts

Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
My friend...What a pleasant surprise to hear from you again !
For a moment I thought is this real ? Damn I'm in the Twilight Zone !

Of course I still have my Silverstone M3-E92 . And I'm pretty sure you still miss yours ...

I'm super/crazy busy at work like usual . But I'm fine . Thank you my friend !
And I would love to know how you are ?
Doing fine sir. After surgery, I am back to normal, and decreasing the weight which I added when I could not walk.
Sold the M3 on October 2019 and got a Tacoma due to my business related stuff. I really miss the E93 M3.
__________________
Beware of Jeff Oliver the fraud at Highland Expedition Outfitters (aka HEO or HEOutfitters) located in Cosby TN.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 04:41 AM   #2825
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
20485
Rep
12,021
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Doing fine sir. After surgery, I am back to normal, and decreasing the weight which I added when I could not walk.
Sold the M3 on October 2019 and got a Tacoma due to my business related stuff. I really miss the E93 M3.
Surgery ? I didn't knew that ?
I really hope everything is fine on your side...and I wish you a complete recovery .

The Tocoma looks big and strong . That's a good choise. It's a powerfull work horse !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
MrPrena1519.50

      02-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #2826
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9119
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
GrussGott - I have to say - you called it on Tesla and the dramatic incline after earnings call. Sounds like the options market for Tesla is just insanely volatile though.

I've been thinking about an options account recently, low dollars, just something to play with. The rest of my wife's corp investments are staying in blue chip and managed by a wealth management group so I don't have to think too much about them.
Hey thanks! You inspired me to make another ridiculously long post on the Tesla thread ...

Net-net is that Tesla's share price is very likely not a short-squeeze, despite that being all over in the media. When you look at the actual data from S3, the opposite is practically true, very little short covering going on now (since the stock is so high the only people who would HAVE to cover are people with margin calls). Further, if you look at SoFi and Robinhood data, the share price is being driven by investors under 45 piling into TSLA. I linked to the SoFi data, but there's also a bunch of Robinhood data showing a wave of millennials opening new accounts and buying TSLA.

Anyway, I used to do single-stock investing, and options play (saddles, straddles, etc) but I stopped 10 years ago and have been index funds 99% since. Given the historic growth of the market that's been more than fine and about a year ago we took a chunk out of equity market, leaving the rest in for super long horizon (not to be touched for 25+ years). Further, index investing has beat every other return out there over 15+ years. Warren Buffett bet any manager $1M to beat an index fund:
In 2008, Warren Buffett issued a challenge to the hedge fund industry, which in his view charged exorbitant fees that the funds' performances couldn't justify. Protégé Partners LLC accepted, and the two parties placed a million-dollar bet.

Buffett has won the bet, Ted Seides wrote in a Bloomberg op-ed in May. The Protégé co-founder, who left in the fund in 2015, conceded defeat ahead of the contest's scheduled wrap-up on December 31, 2017, writing, "for all intents and purposes, the game is over. I lost."

Buffett's ultimately successful contention was that, including fees, costs and expenses, an S&P 500 index fund would outperform a hand-picked portfolio of hedge funds over 10 years. The bet pit two basic investing philosophies against each other: passive and active investing.
Anyway, I love to watch the market (especially new-paradigm shit like Tesla), but there are probably two things I'll never do again: own a home & invest in single stocks.

For me, the data says both are losers because my personality is such that I won't daily maintain either.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #2827
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9119
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
In aviation news, is anyone following how completely shit Boeing's engineering culture has become?

With the 737 MAX they've now found new software bugs created by the fixes to the old bugs. Regression testing and test scripts anyone maybe? Cause, you know, passenger aircraft and stuff.

And THEN, with the their "starliner" test flight, the clock is off by 11 hours so it missed its engine firing timing. And then Boeing lost communications with their rocket for reasons they still don't know why and in trying to fix all of that during the flight - oh wait! Boeing finds this other bug over here which could cause catastrophic failure so Boeing has a team work all night to code a fix only finishing hours before it had to perform its separation maneuver.

And THEN it turns out that, sure, both SpaceX and Boeing are building a solution but only SpaceX got a full safety review from NASA, Boeing was just asked if everything's cool (like almost literally - that was the safety review).


Anybody else have zero excitement to fly anything Boeing has built in the last decade?

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-08-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
minn196958.00

      02-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #2828
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
10438
Rep
13,161
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
In aviation news, is anyone following how completely shit Boeing's engineering culture has become?

With the 737 MAX they've now found new software bugs created by the fixes to the old bugs. Regression testing and test scripts anyone maybe? Cause, you know, passenger aircraft and stuff.

And THEN, with the their "starliner" test flight, the clock is off by 11 hours so it missed its engine firing timing. And then Boeing lost communications with their rocket for reasons they still don't know why and in trying to fix all of that during the flight - oh wait! Boeing finds this other bug over here which could cause catastrophic failure so Boeing has a team work all night to code a fix only finishing hours before it had to perform its separation maneuver.

And THEN it turns out that, sure, both SpaceX and Boeing are building a solution but only SpaceX got a full safety review from NASA, Boeing was just asked if everything's cool (like almost literally - that was the safety review).


Anybody else have zero excitement to fly anything Boeing has built in the last decade?

I've been railing on this for a long time. I think you can look at the Boeing versus SpaceX rivalry , and project it across the entire military industrial complex. Except there's not another SpaceX in that field.
Taxpayers have been getting it in the shorts for a long time.

As far as the 737 max goes, it's amazing what a slight change in the center of gravity can do........
__________________
My best amp goes up to 11........
Appreciate 1
GrussGott9119.00

      02-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #2829
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9119
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Today's political thought, courtesy of Mr. Fyodor Dostoyevsky:
Man is stupid, you know, phenomenally stupid; or rather he is not at all stupid, but he is so ungrateful that you could not find another like him in all creation.

I, for instance, would not be in the least surprised if all of a sudden, apropos of nothing, in the midst of general prosperity a gentleman with an ignoble, or rather with a reactionary and ironical, countenance were to arise and, putting his arms akimbo, say to us all: "I say, gentleman, hadn't we better kick over the whole show and scatter rationalism to the winds, simply to send these logarithms to the devil, and to enable us to live once more at our own sweet foolish will!"

That again would not matter, but what is annoying is that he would be sure to find followers--such is the nature of man.
-- Notes From the Underground, 1864
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 2
minn196958.00

      02-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #2830
Arcades
Lup's Kid
Arcades's Avatar
Taiwan
2388
Rep
3,702
Posts

Drives: 18' Grigio Medio F80
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
In aviation news, is anyone following how completely shit Boeing's engineering culture has become?

With the 737 MAX they've now found new software bugs created by the fixes to the old bugs. Regression testing and test scripts anyone maybe? Cause, you know, passenger aircraft and stuff.

And THEN, with the their "starliner" test flight, the clock is off by 11 hours so it missed its engine firing timing. And then Boeing lost communications with their rocket for reasons they still don't know why and in trying to fix all of that during the flight - oh wait! Boeing finds this other bug over here which could cause catastrophic failure so Boeing has a team work all night to code a fix only finishing hours before it had to perform its separation maneuver.

And THEN it turns out that, sure, both SpaceX and Boeing are building a solution but only SpaceX got a full safety review from NASA, Boeing was just asked if everything's cool (like almost literally - that was the safety review).


Anybody else have zero excitement to fly anything Boeing has built in the last decade?

Boeing has been going downhill morally since their acquisition of McDonald Douglas. Remember, the DC-10 was also grounded worldwide, albeit not nearly as long as the current 737 MAX but the very same company that made the DC-10 and it's wonky plane, has it's hand in the 737 MAX.

This is what happens when a company is now ran by bean counters and not engineers who cares for the passengers who flies on the planes. I won't ever allow my gf to even fly on the 737 MAX, nor would I want her to.

Aside from that, remember this too they only removed the CEO of Boeing, not the board members that made all of this crap happen in the first place. Nothing in Boeing has changed. The idiots that created this disaster are still there.

There is a video about the bad influence the McDonald Douglas people have on Boeing after the merger and I can't seem to find it. Mainly from former Boeing Engineers and workers who left the company.
__________________
'18 Grigio Medio/Nutmeg BMW F80 M3 Competition "Stella" // '17 Mahogany Metallic/Black Porsche Macan S "Gisele"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
You're making babies for me!
Appreciate 2
GrussGott9119.00
minn196958.00

      02-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #2831
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
10438
Rep
13,161
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
In aviation news, is anyone following how completely shit Boeing's engineering culture has become?

With the 737 MAX they've now found new software bugs created by the fixes to the old bugs. Regression testing and test scripts anyone maybe? Cause, you know, passenger aircraft and stuff.

And THEN, with the their "starliner" test flight, the clock is off by 11 hours so it missed its engine firing timing. And then Boeing lost communications with their rocket for reasons they still don't know why and in trying to fix all of that during the flight - oh wait! Boeing finds this other bug over here which could cause catastrophic failure so Boeing has a team work all night to code a fix only finishing hours before it had to perform its separation maneuver.

And THEN it turns out that, sure, both SpaceX and Boeing are building a solution but only SpaceX got a full safety review from NASA, Boeing was just asked if everything's cool (like almost literally - that was the safety review).


Anybody else have zero excitement to fly anything Boeing has built in the last decade?

Boeing has been going downhill morally since their acquisition of McDonald Douglas. Remember, the DC-10 was also grounded worldwide, albeit not nearly as long as the current 737 MAX but the very same company that made the DC-10 and it's wonky plane, has it's hand in the 737 MAX.

This is what happens when a company is now ran by bean counters and not engineers who cares for the passengers who flies on the planes. I won't ever allow my gf to even fly on the 737 MAX, nor would I want her to.

Aside from that, remember this too they only removed the CEO of Boeing, not the board members that made all of this crap happen in the first place. Nothing in Boeing has changed. The idiots that created this disaster are still there.

There is a video about the bad influence the McDonald Douglas people have on Boeing after the merger and I can't seem to find it. Mainly from former Boeing Engineers and workers who left the company.
McDonnell Douglas made some good planes. F-15, F-4, DC 3 come to mind. I've always thought their acquisition of McDonald Douglas was a mistake, but from a different perspective. I think the lack of competition has made them very complacent.
__________________
My best amp goes up to 11........
Appreciate 2
GrussGott9119.00
minn196958.00

      02-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #2832
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9119
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
McDonnell Douglas made some good planes. F-15, F-4, DC 3 come to mind. I've always thought their acquisition of McDonald Douglas was a mistake, but from a different perspective. I think the lack of competition has made them very complacent.
Yeah, agreed, the DC-10 was the cadillac ride of the skys - i even rode in the hump of the 747 once (back when it was first class, then business class, then economy class).

Something about the DC-10 ride that was just plush no matter which class you were in.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 2
minn196958.00

      02-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #2833
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
10438
Rep
13,161
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
McDonnell Douglas made some good planes. F-15, F-4, DC 3 come to mind. I've always thought their acquisition of McDonald Douglas was a mistake, but from a different perspective. I think the lack of competition has made them very complacent.
Yeah, agreed, the DC-10 was the cadillac ride of the skys - i even rode in the hump of the 747 once (back when it was first class, then business class, then economy class).

Something about the DC-10 ride that was just plush no matter which class you were in.
I never got to try an L-1011........

I remember being the traffic pattern in 1999 for Honolulu international. I was always amazed at looking at the 20 or so planes at various points of the landing pattern. The intricate nature of getting those planes to land.


As far as the safety of the airplanes goes, in the 70s 80s and 90s, I don't think the DC-10 was any worse than the 727, or 747. They had a problem with the back cargo door, which caused one horrific hull loss. The American Airlines flight out of Chicago crashed because the pilots didn't realize they only had 2 engines not three, and cut back power too far. If they'd known they only had 2 engines, they would've applied more power.
__________________
My best amp goes up to 11........
Appreciate 2
GrussGott9119.00
minn196958.00

      02-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #2834
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9119
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I don't think the DC-10 was any worse than the 727, or 747. They had a problem with the back cargo door, which caused one horrific hull loss. The American Airlines flight out of Chicago crashed because the pilots didn't realize they only had 2 engines not three, and cut back power too far. If they'd known they only had 2 engines, they would've applied more power.
Nice to have another airplane guy on SSOT! yeah, I'd add that I also loved the DC-9, not due to the ride, but because of how reliable they were over 4 decades for the airline I worked for! there were guys who could literally listen inside of the fuselage with the engines juiced and tell you if anything major was wrong - not making that up, saw it numerous times ... of course in that case the safety is due to the config, the maintenance program, and long-term employees who worked the same tail numbers for their entire careers!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
minn196958.00

      02-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #2835
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
10438
Rep
13,161
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I don't think the DC-10 was any worse than the 727, or 747. They had a problem with the back cargo door, which caused one horrific hull loss. The American Airlines flight out of Chicago crashed because the pilots didn't realize they only had 2 engines not three, and cut back power too far. If they'd known they only had 2 engines, they would've applied more power.
Nice to have another airplane guy on SSOT! yeah, I'd add that I also loved the DC-9, not due to the ride, but because of how reliable they were over 4 decades for the airline I worked for! there were guys who could literally listen inside of the fuselage with the engines juiced and tell you if anything major was wrong - not making that up, saw it numerous times ... of course in that case the safety is due to the config, the maintenance program, and long-term employees who worked the same tail numbers for their entire careers!
I have a cousin who's husband flies md80s for Delta. He says it's his favorite airplane to fly. I hate flying in that plane, probably because it's a smaller interior, makes time go by slower.

But I do enjoy reading about all things aviation.
__________________
My best amp goes up to 11........
Appreciate 1
minn196958.00

      02-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #2836
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
6958
Rep
7,426
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 19 ZLE, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

GrussGott, here is the ride. 9k off plus 5250 in rebates, 57% residual and base MF equals not bad at all.

https://www.bmwofminnetonka.com/inve...ts0c08l9b18259
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #2837
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
6958
Rep
7,426
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 19 ZLE, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I have a cousin who's husband flies md80s for Delta. He says it's his favorite airplane to fly. I hate flying in that plane, probably because it's a smaller interior, makes time go by slower.

But I do enjoy reading about all things aviation.
Probably one of the last “manual” planes left to fly in the US anyway. Gonna miss the mad dogs when they are all gone.

It’s too bad the DC-10 had such a bad start as it turned out to be a great aircraft that never completely shook the early bad rep. I flew on one of the last Northwest DC-10 Atlantic crossings in 06 to Europe.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 10:04 PM   #2838
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
6958
Rep
7,426
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 19 ZLE, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I never got to try an L-1011........

I remember being the traffic pattern in 1999 for Honolulu international. I was always amazed at looking at the 20 or so planes at various points of the landing pattern. The intricate nature of getting those planes to land.


As far as the safety of the airplanes goes, in the 70s 80s and 90s, I don't think the DC-10 was any worse than the 727, or 747. They had a problem with the back cargo door, which caused one horrific hull loss. The American Airlines flight out of Chicago crashed because the pilots didn't realize they only had 2 engines not three, and cut back power too far. If they'd known they only had 2 engines, they would've applied more power.
IIRC, when the engine left the wing it took with it the hydraulics on that side causing the leading edge slats to retract and then stall quicker than would be expected. Hence the left turn dive into the ground. That one was on AA maintenance cutting corners during engine mounting/dismounting weakening the pylon/leading to the detachment. Definitely one of the more horrible/completely preventable accidents in US aviation history.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST