BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
N55Msport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 15'F30 16'F80

F80 6 speed manual fluid analysis

(I posted this earlier in a wrong section)

I'm not sure if an F80 manual gearbox fluid analysis has ever been posted before. So here is one. The reason for the test is that back during a 50,000 mile gearbox fluid change I had an issue while removing the drain plug. Halfway through the removal while turning with my fingers the plug started to bind eventually being stuck to the point where I had to re insert the hex drive and use a wrench to fully remove the plug.

The plug ended up having a slight burr on it which caused a few shavings and specs of metal both on the plug and the threaded hole on the gearbox. I bought a new drain plug, and again as the bolt went in halfway, it ended up binding a little bit but eventually worked past whatever was causing resistance.

I've done many gearbox changes on BMW's before but never noticed this much material on drain plugs before so, with my OCD, and not sure if the new plug pushed slightly damaged thread material up into the gearbox, I decided to run the gearbox oil for a little over 10,000 miles, do a second flush, and have the fluid tested just to see if anything odd would show up. During this fluid drain the plug still had a bit of resistance while taking it out along with very small metal particles still showing on the threads, but not nearly as much as the first drain.

For now, I've had 2 new drain plugs installed, and at this point I'm most likely rethreading a slightly damaged drain hole from either new gearbox material or an initial bad plug from the factory.
Aside from the shearing that Blackstone noted, everything looks normal.
Pretty tough machines.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
nbennettksu
Colonel
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Values look spot on
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M

Posted mine here

Tranmission Oil Change Yes/No https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1576053