Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
Alacrious
Rep
Drives: F82

Best upgrade kits for 2015 NBT -> Android Auto/Carplay?

Scoured the threads a bit, but didnt really get a complete picture of this, so looking for some guidance on this...

I have a 2015 M4, looking to do a full upgrade to support Android Auto and Carplay... Found a series of kits that I assume are all just slight variations on each other depending on their interface....

Bimmertech kit, Bimmerplug kit, Ebay seller, etc

Who has done a full upgrade to this, and which kits actually give full functionality?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #2
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

What do you mean by full upgrade? There are plenty of different routes to go for CarPlay and android auto. The MMI prime systems are very popular, pretty easy to install and work well (I use this). There are the touchscreen replacements which in my opinion all look noticeably aftermarket, not sure on how well they work.

What I would consider a "full upgrade" is changing the head unit and screen to the updated versions with CarPlay built it. This is by far the most expensive way but it is all OEM.

Happy to answer any questions you have on the MMI route.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #3
Alacrious
Rep
Drives: F82

When I meant full, I meant upgrading the screen itself, while adding support for android auto (dont need carplay in my case). Wasnt sure if the head unit itself was in the display, behind the dash, could upgrade separately, etc...

Assume something like this should get me where I want.... https://motivesupplies.nl/product/na...f34-f35-f80-2/

Super appreciate any guidance - any cost isnt really much of a problem since part of this will be expensed by work.... Where could I snag like a full 2018+ setup that is OEM? Assume its just ebay stalking.

Last edited by Alacrious; 08-03-2022 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Save some money and order it off AliExpress, it’s all variations on the same stuff.

I have an MMI in my car and it’s been working great since installation in February.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 01:32 PM   #5
ac419
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Save some money and order it off AliExpress, it’s all variations on the same stuff.

I have an MMI in my car and it’s been working great since installation in February.
Great pictures! Would you mind sharing what you purchased from aliexpress? I'm researching ways to upgrade ID3 to something more relevant.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 01:55 PM   #6
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac419 View Post
Great pictures! Would you mind sharing what you purchased from aliexpress? I'm researching ways to upgrade ID3 to something more relevant.
When you say ID3 do you mean CIC? If so the unit I have won’t work for you. I did the same install in my E90 M3, I know there have been many updates since then.

AU $290.51 12% Off | Wireless CarPlay Android Auto Retrofit for BMW 1 2 3 4 5 7 X1 X3 X4 X5 X6 Mirroring Link Google Assistant Airplay Siri Control
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPW0KSS

What car are you installing it in?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0