proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #1
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Why do a PPF AND a coating?

I have seen quite a few cars lately to which were applied both Xpel (or competitor) AND a coating (Opti,CQ,Modesta,ceramic pro, etc).

I understand the film goes first then the coating over the entire car, since the film won't adhere well to the coating).

I previously had seen this as a one or the other choice - and before I go off the deep end wondered what the collective wisdom says about doing both.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

These products both serve different purposes.... allow me to help explain.

Paint Coatings such as Opti-Coat Pro, Cquartz Finst, CQuartz, 22ple, etc. work to provide a thin barrier to protect your paint from environmental contaminates such as bird droppings, hard water, bug splatter, uv rays, and general dirt/grime. For simplification, you can imagine these paint coatings as simply another very thin clear coat on top of your clear coat. These products serve the same purpose as traditional waxes or sealants, however paint coatings offer many great benefits over traditional methods of protection.

The particles in paint coating (usually silica based (SiO2) or silicon carbide based (SiC)) bond together at an atomic level to create a crystalline structure that is very strong. This matrix of particles offers great resistance to chemicals and dirt compared to traditional waxes. A paint coating will also add a material back to the surface of your paint which becomes important when the vehicle needs to be polished as you or your detailer will then be removing much less paint, therefore preserving your clearcoat over time. Paint coatings will cure to a surface hardness that is greater (sometimes only slightly) than your bare clear coat, therefore they do provide some resistance to light marring, however these coatings cannot and will not protect from rock chips, scratches, etc.

These products are very durable, easily lasting years instead of weeks or months, and make maintenance much easier as there is absolutely no need to wax your vehicle once it has been coated, and you will find that you may not even need to use detailing clay on it anymore depending on your environment (I haven't clayed my own cars in 2.5 years since the last time they were coated and they are still slick).

There are many other great benefits which I highlight in my article below....

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

Paint Protection Film (PPF) or Clear Bra is simply meant to provide protection from impacts.... most commonly rock chips on the front end of your car. These films are quite thick, and are essentially like a clear vinyl wrap to simplify it.

It is a common practice to apply a coating, or even just a wax if you prefer, on top of PPF in order to create a hydrophobic surface that is easier to clean and maintain. This way you still get the impact protection from the film, while also receiving the easy maintenance and environmental protection that comes with a coating.

Please let me know if you've got any further questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, Zach.

So the coating over the PPF is to make it easier to maintain, essentially. I had my 335i opti coated the day after I bought it, and it was certainly easy to keep looking great.

One of the benefits (at least in my own head) about PPF was that if it yellowed or became unattractive, it could just be peeled off. If you have coating atop it, then off it goes with the film. Does the coating help prolong the life of the film in any way?
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
Thanks, Zach.

So the coating over the PPF is to make it easier to maintain, essentially. I had my 335i opti coated the day after I bought it, and it was certainly easy to keep looking great.

One of the benefits (at least in my own head) about PPF was that if it yellowed or became unattractive, it could just be peeled off. If you have coating atop it, then off it goes with the film. Does the coating help prolong the life of the film in any way?
Yes - a coating on top of PPF would add the wonderful self cleaning and hydrophobic properties to the surface of the PPF.

Modern films certainly do not yellow/fade anywhere nearly as quickly or as badly as PPF of the past (I suppose unless cheaper ppf still does?). A coating will help to provide some additional UV protection on top of the PPF, so in theory it will help slow down signs of UV degradation, however all PPF and paint coatings will have to be replaced/reapplied eventually.

If I had to put a number on it, I would estimate that on a daily driven cars PPF would likely start looking word after 5-7 years (obviously many variables can effect this estimate).

Likewise, you will develop surface defects such as scratches and swirls in your paint coating overtime, and therefore the surface will need to be corrected/polished which will remove the paint coating and require reapplication.

Each of these products should be considered a 'temporary sacraficial barrier' that works to help protect your paint by adding a layer that will take the beating and be replaced instead of the paint directly taking the beating and leading to earlier paint failure.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

When I bought the M the first thing I did was take it straight to a detailer to put on the film and do a nano coat.

This is the first time I have ever had a nano coat on a car... and WOW.

I dont have to hand wash it. I just use a pressure washer and the dirt and everything just comes right off. It is actually the most incredible thing ever.

I will ALWAYS put this coating on my cars from now on. Water and dirt bead off.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HIGH~PSI View Post
When I bought the M the first thing I did was take it straight to a detailer to put on the film and do a nano coat.

This is the first time I have ever had a nano coat on a car... and WOW.

I dont have to hand wash it. I just use a pressure washer and the dirt and everything just comes right off. It is actually the most incredible thing ever.

I will ALWAYS put this coating on my cars from now on. Water and dirt bead off.
Thanks for the feedback - I am narrowing in on what I want to do. If I may ask, which nano-coat did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
Thanks for the feedback - I am narrowing in on what I want to do. If I may ask, which nano-coat did you go with?
I am pretty sure it is this one. These are the guys that did it for me.

http://www.autoobsessed.com/detailin...o-coating.html
Appreciate 0