BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #45
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Don't apologize. My only gripe about it all is it makes me feel like something is taken away from the M name just throwing badges on everything, that's all. Nothing wrong with your car or the choice you made.

Still waiting on pics though. This thread needs pics. Merry Christmas!
Really taking something away from M name?: I could your pain and disappointment if you bought your car not because of performance but because it has ' areal M badge'

This is a quote from another forum user:

'The first M car based on a production vehicle was the E12 M535i; the engine was the same engine found in the E23 7 Series and E24 6 Series. M modifications were mostly confined to the suspension, although the front brake rotors were 3mm thicker. The interior had Recaro seats and a Motorsport wheel. The exterior had a front airdam, rear lip spoiler, cross-spoke BBS wheels and Motorsport striping. No bespoke engine or body panels.'
Dafuq. I bought it for the heritage and prestige. However, what makes my car special and badass if a M340i comes with almost the same power and cool bells and whistles? It doesn't, just means I paid a bunch of useless money for a car I could've essentially gotten for cheaper.
I would surely buy 'a full M' in the future for its coolness, appearance and heritage knowing fully well I would be wasting 50% of my money as I would never track it. I know deep down that M performance cars are more than enough for my street use but it is my dream to own a full M car.

Buying a full M car that is not regularly tracked is an emotional buy rather than pragmatic one. It does not mean you have to invalidate other M variants in order to prove to yourself subconsciously that you have not wasted your money on your real M car

The only entity that can define an M car is BMW. If a car is labelled as an M car by the manufacturer no amount of head clashing is going to change this fact
I'm not invalidating anything, I'm simply expressing my own opinion. You must hate Trump?
      12-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #46
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

So, I guess the answer is no?
Appreciate 1
Graves1130.00
      12-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #47
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Congrats on car.
Why not M5 or M5 Competition?
Appreciate 1
Graves1130.00
      12-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #48
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Excellent choice, hlothery! I consider the G30 M550i as a major upgrade over your F83.

While the 2017+ M550i isn't categorized as an M car on BMW's website, the ones who are saying this is not an M car clearly have not driven one hard on the track, yet alone drive it on the streets. The G30 M550i is far from being a slouch on either track or streets. All it takes is one hot session to realize that the M550i has M Performance capabilities written all over it... Clearly it's no F10 or F90 M5, but the M5 is also a step and a half above in $$$ compared to the F80/F82/F83 sans CS/GTS models.
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      12-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #49
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Congrats on car.
Why not M5 or M5 Competition?
You know, I really thought about that. It came down to price. They were over 30K more than the price I paid. Just couldn't see going that route. Loved the M4, it was just a little too raw and too small. The M550i was close in street performance (I don't track my cars), actually better off the line, with the luxury and room I needed, for a lot less. This "real M car" business does not matter to me at all. I either love the way a car drives, or not. And I loved it when I drove it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #50
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
You know, I really thought about that. It came down to price. They were over 30K more than the price I paid. Just couldn't see going that route. Loved the M4, it was just a little too raw and too small. The M550i was close in street performance (I don't track my cars), actually better off the line, with the luxury and room I needed, for a lot less. This "real M car" business does not matter to me at all. I either love the way a car drives, or not. And I loved it when I drove it.
Sounds good
Appreciate 0