Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Anyone considering the X2 M35i?

I know it's a slight "step down" on the totem pole, but has anyone considered this as a next car? Nice performance within the constraints of the 2L, also doesn't have the bulkiness of a full size SUV, more of a HB. Intriguing...
      12-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

In my opinion, BMW has dropped the ball with their small transverse vehicle architecture by not developing an M proper drivetrain and chassis. If you have decided to drop serious coin on a small performance SUV, I’d check the Mercedes Benz GLA45 or the upcoming second generation RS Q3 which should debut very soon and will be sold in the US market this time around. These models share running gear with the CLA45 and RS3 respectively - vehicles which at least offer acceleration that approaches an M3 - and will put a beat down on an X2 M35i. More expensive than an X2 M35i, yes, but not excessively.

In other words, you don’t buy the X2 M35i for the same reason you don’t buy an M340i, S4 or S5 Sportback, or C43. There’s more value for the enthusiast in stepping up to the M3, RS5 Sportback, or C63. Don’t let BMW’s marketing fool you into believing the X2 M35i is “the real deal”. One look at what’s on the market shows us they are way behind.
Appreciate 8
minn1914018.00
jmg18658.50
CanAutM321115.00
svr2132.00
allinon724907.50
JamesGames1326.00
      12-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

I have the regular X2 as my winter car. It has an M sport package. I agree with mkoesel that this is not an M car and wouldn't be one with a bigger engine either. I like it for what it is. A zippy little car that I can commute to work in the snow in (with snow tires). I had a Subaru Outback previously. The Outback was bigger and nicer, but the X2 drives better.

I didn't buy this car to be an M car, but it looks cool, and drives nice. And it's not an SUV, which was my goal.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Sr Thomas drove one for a while as a demo and I drove one for a few days as well and I actually thought it was a very fun car. I could totally see myself owning one of those. The size was a little small for me personally but overall I enjoyed it.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      12-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
In my opinion, BMW has dropped the ball with their small transverse vehicle architecture by not developing an M proper drivetrain and chassis. If you have decided to drop serious coin on a small performance SUV, I'd check the Mercedes Benz GLA45 or the upcoming second generation RS Q3 which should debut very soon and will be sold in the US market this time around. These models share running gear with the CLA45 and RS3 respectively - vehicles which at least offer acceleration that approaches an M3 - and will put a beat down on an X2 M35i. More expensive than an X2 M35i, yes, but not excessively.

In other words, you don't buy the X2 M35i for the same reason you don't buy an M340i, S4 or S5 Sportback, or C43. There's more value for the enthusiast in stepping up to the M3, RS5 Sportback, or C63. Don't let BMW's marketing fool you into believing the X2 M35i is "the real deal". One look at what's on the market shows us they are way behind.
^^^^this

I have been looking around for wifey's next ride and considered the X2 for a second until I drove one.

Nope. Can't do it.

The X1 is the better "car" IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

no thanks. X3m please for a BMW SUV or GLA45 for a small premium hatch, or focus RS or civic type R for a non premium hatch.

That being said, where I voted with my wallet when wife needed a new car recently is a cheap lease 2018 f31 330. Love it. It such an honest car that's comfortable, with big cargo space and doesn't have any sporting pretensions that it can't back up.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
doesn't have any sporting pretensions that it can't back up.
I think this is very important factor in experiencing the enjoyment level of the vehicle.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1872.50
      12-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #8
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
^^^^this

I have been looking around for wifey's next ride and considered the X2 for a second until I drove one.

Nope. Can't do it.

You must have had a very short test drive because the X2 is head and shoulders better driving than the X1...and it’s not even close...at all.

My father leaves his 4th car (an X1 leased for daily dog park duty) in my garage during Spring through Fall, and my girlfriend had an X2 M-Sport Pkg for over a week while her X3 was being serviced.

People on this forum seem to like shitting on the X2 for some reason, but it’s actually a surprisingly good vehicle for FWD-based AWD, and I can’t even imagine how much better the X2 M35i is going to be by putting out those types of performance numbers.

Last edited by mcc3456; 01-29-2019 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
You must have had a very short test drive because the X2 is head and shoulders better driving than the X1...and it’s not even close...at all.

My father leaves his 4th car (an X1 leased for daily dog park duty) in my garage during Spring through Fall, and my girlfriend had an X2 M-Sport Pkg for over a week while her X3 was being serviced.

People on this forum seem to like shitting on the X2 for some reason, but it’s actually a surprisingly good vehicle for FWD, and I can’t even imagine how much better the X2 M35i is going to be by putting out those types of performance numbers.
I got an X2 (regular) as a loaner and I thought it was crap. Felt like I was next to the windshield. I can’t imagine the M35i being able to improve on the aesthetics or seating position.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
Quote:
^^^^this

Nope. Can't do it.

You must have had a very short test drive because the X2 is head and shoulders better driving than the X1...and it's not even close...at all.

People on this forum seem to like shitting on the X2 for some reason, but it's actually a surprisingly good vehicle for FWD, and I can't even imagine how much better the X2 M35i is going to be by putting out those types of performance numbers.
Ok. Maybe I should say I'm not a huge fan of either car in this segment but the X2 was just so small inside. I get that BMW is attempting to make the car "sportier" looking but the utility is completely sacrificed. It was surprising to both my wife and I how little room the X2 had inside. We have a new baby and we felt there was gonna be very little room for all his shit in the X2. The X1 on the other have doesn't look as cool but had way better utility going on.

Neither car is a great drivers car but my wife works very close to home and doesn't feel it's worth it to get another M340 XDrive that will barely get driven. We need a safe, inexpensive, commuter SUV that is good in the snow for the occasional ski trip.

The X1 or X3 should fit the bill nicely.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #11
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Maybe I should say I'm not a huge fan of either car in this segment but the X2 was just so small inside. I get that BMW is attempting to make the car "sportier" looking but the utility is completely sacrificed. It was surprising to both my wife and I how little room the X2 had inside. We have a new baby and we felt there was gonna be very little room for all his shit in the X2. The X1 on the other have doesn't look as cool but had way better utility going on.

Neither car is a great drivers car but my wife works very close to home and doesn't feel it's worth it to get another M340 XDrive that will barely get driven. We need a safe, inexpensive, commuter SUV that is good in the snow for the occasional ski trip.

The X1 or X3 should fit the bill nicely.
The X3 is notably better for your needs. The X1 is about 4" roomier in the trunk depth and height area than the X2. Rear head room is compromised but the front seat area is pretty much identical to the X1. I was fortunate to have an X2 with the M Sport package for the loaner whereas my father's X1 dog carrier does not...which makes all the difference.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kss View Post
I got an X2 (regular) as a loaner and I thought it was crap. Felt like I was next to the windshield. I can’t imagine the M35i being able to improve on the aesthetics or seating position.
With non-sport package, the regular X1/X2 are crap, but add the M-Sport Pkg with leather sport seats, sport steering wheel, sport suspension, and aesthetics makes for a dramatically different experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

My wife owns an F48 and I was against that car from the get go, but at the end of the day we paid 35k for the car new and she enjoys it. The X1 is barely an suv let alone the X2 with slanted c pillar and lower rooflines. Here are my gripes with the x1/x2..

1) FWD / AWD architecture shared from Mini. As a long time bmw owner.. this just doesn't work
2) This isn't a true SUV - to me it's a compact hatchback lifted
3) Rear seats room isn't enough - seats are short and with a rear facing seat the front passenger seat is basically useless

And what I like about it
1) Cheap (relatively) - as a 35k daily driver it isn't bad
2) Actually has more room than other cars in its segment (GLA, NX, etc)
3) Looks like a larger more square suv (X1) as opposed to a mini compact hatchback like some of its competitors QX30

As the X1 and X2 share chassis, I would never get the X2.. the X1 seems small already. What is the point of the X2 - more expensive, it is smaller, has less cargo room, barely seats 5, and has a higher center of gravity for a car that is supposedly sportier with fwd/awd. Confused. The X1 FWD I own has torque steer as well.. and its not even a 35i.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #14
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I don't get the point of the X2. It's all sacrifice for no real gain over the X1.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
I'd step up to an X3M before considering an X2 of any variant.

/// M3
Appreciate 1
pokerface429.50
      01-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #16
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I don't get the point of the X2. It's all sacrifice for no real gain over the X1.
In the context of an SUV, I totally agree..but I don't think that is what BMW is going after here. I think they are trying to attack more of the hatch segment than the SUV segment, except they refuse to call it hatch, which is where much of the confusion stems from.

If you look at it as more of a Golf R -ish competitor, then it's existence makes a lot more sense (similar to the GLA).
      01-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
In the context of an SUV, I totally agree..but I don't think that is what BMW is going after here. I think they are trying to attack more of the hatch segment than the SUV segment, except they refuse to call it hatch, which is where much of the confusion stems from.

If you look at it as more of a Golf R -ish competitor, then it's existence makes a lot more sense (similar to the GLA).
If BMW wanted to sell a hatchback, they'd offer the 1 Series. The same applies to Mercedes and the A Class. And the same applies to Audi and the A3 hatchback for that matter.

If selling a hatchback were as simple as not calling the vehicle a "hatch" as you suggest, then that's exactly what these manufacturers would do. They'd sell their hatchbacks as is and call them SUVs or whatever else instead. Or, maybe they'd go a step further and start with the hatch but give it a slight visual makeover to make it look more rugged similar to a Golf Alltrack or Subaru Crosstrek.

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple. The market would cry foul if a premium manufacturer tried to pull that move. That doesn't mean that you can't sell a premium hatch or wagon with cladding - obviously Volvo and Audi do that. But they don't even try to call it an SUV. Volvo has both the V60 Cross Country and the XC60. Audi has both the A4 Allroad and the Q5. The market is keenly aware which is an SUV and which is not.

The X2 and GLA are SUVs. BMW and Mercedes spent a big wad of cash developing them for that purpose. Are they pushing the boundaries of how car-like an SUV can look before the market tells you to GTFO? Sure. But they are SUVs nevertheless. All you have to do is park one next to an A Class or 1 Series hatchback to see why. When you do that, there's no hiding it - obvious SUV is obvious.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #18
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
I'd step up to an X3M before considering an X2 of any variant.
I like this idea. But I also think I'd get into X3 M40i than an X3M realistically.

"Urban car architecture" does not really appeal to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #19
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post

Even if they called it a hatch, the performance numbers don't compete in that segment.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Even if they called it a hatch, the performance numbers don't compete in that segment.
Acceleration Numbers aside, if it turns out x2 "m"35 is actually a hot hatch and can dice it up at track days with the civic type R and focus RS crowd (or gla45) then it's got my attention

But nothing so far to indicate this is the case.

My $0.02, bmw should take all the money used on "segment Buster" x2, x4, 3series GT, 5series GT and use it to figure out how to shove dual electric motors and huge battery into an X3.

X3e with all the functionality of x3, plus 0-60 in about 4s, 1/4 mile trap speed around 110mph and 300 miles all EV range for $65k would have SO MANY takers (me included)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Acceleration Numbers aside, if it turns out x2 "m"35 is actually a hot hatch and can dice it up at track days with the civic type R and focus RS crowd (or gla45) then it's got my attention

But nothing so far to indicate this is the case.

My $0.02, bmw should take all the money used on "segment Buster" x2, x4, 3series GT, 5series GT and use it to figure out how to shove dual electric motors and huge battery into an X3.

X3e with all the functionality of x3, plus 0-60 in about 4s, 1/4 mile trap speed around 110mph and 300 miles all EV range for $65k would have SO MANY takers (me included)
Please don't give them anymore electric ideas
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #22
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

the x m 3049593 m x l io xdrvie...what now tehehe
Appreciate 0