Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-17-2023, 06:49 PM   #1
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Steering Motor Swap?

Has any one ever just replaced the steering motor? Mine was damaged when my engine blew a piece of the connecting rod out of the oil pan and right into the steering motor. It's a pretty pricey repair since it's either a used half assembled unit one or remanufactured but I found that I can some folks sell just the motor. Is it really as easy it seems? Looks like 3 bolts. Are there calibration issues or anything like that? I'm already deep in the hole with this engine swap so trying to save where I can.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 08:05 PM   #2
Jonwho2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Did you get anywhere with this?

I just swapped mine today after. The old one was damage in an accident. And I can say there is defiantly some coding involved. I think the new rack needs to be registered and then calibrated. Something like this

I'll try tomorrow and report back.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwho2 View Post
Did you get anywhere with this?

I just swapped mine today after. The old one was damage in an accident. And I can say there is defiantly some coding involved. I think the new rack needs to be registered and then calibrated. Something like this

I'll try tomorrow and report back.
The shop made me purchase an entire steering rack. I picked up a used one for a reasonable price at Straight Six Auto Parts. The concern was the amount of splines on the gearing and we weren't sure if there would be some sort of calibration issue by swapping just the motor (does it spin indefinitely or is there a 'tdc' point?). There's also no BMW repair guide for swapping the motor alone, it calls for the entire assembly. We coded it via ISTA.