Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

10-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Chimp View Post
Did you take a look at the wear indicators on the ccb rotors? What did they look like? In one image on the dealers site, it looks like the indicator circle is very dark.

I've been contemplating a little road trip to go take a look at the car but I want to get the basics on it first. Unfortunately, the online sales manager was not willing to go out and take a quick snapshot of the wear indicators or other parts of the car. He wasn't really willing to get out of his chair for me at all. He also wasn't forthright about the car being someone's track day toy.

From what I can tell by the low resolution pics, it might need 4 new ccb rotors ($15k) and a new upper and lower front splitter ($5k). Since the car clearly had a track-off, I (or anyone who sees this and is interested in buying that car) would also want to budget to inspect or replace cracked front suspension parts ($?k) as well as any cooling package and underbody parts directly behind that splitter crack.

If these are selling for $80-85k without any service/maintenance needs right now, a car with these needs is possibly only worth around $70k-ish as-is, right?

SC~
(my first post)
I spoke to John Therien there, his # is 415-482-2005, he was really helpful and truthful on the condition of the car. Said it was tracked "heavily" and came in on slicks but otherwise was in good condition. Said they would not weigh the CCB's even before I asked. But he did say they would replace the front splitter for free with an OEM replacement. He also said it has 4 new tires due to the aforementioned arrival on slicks.

I don't think this is a bad car and it has been for sale for a long time. I got the feeling they are motivated to sell and price can be lowered substantially. They were also throwing in free shipping to Dallas. If you are serious about the car just go visit it if you are nearby and see for yourself. The miles overall are low and I've been told the CCB's can take 6-8k track miles before they wear out so could have a lot of life left in them. M2C rotors aren't expensive either. I wouldn't pass on the car so easily IF you are looking for something that will see track time.

Just thoroughly do a PPI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
This one at BMW of Akron looks like the best buy to me at the moment. mid-80's. https://www.bmwakron.com/used-Akron-...4S9C55GK578917
I bought this one.
Appreciate 2
Gomeler500.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
      10-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #112
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

The BMW Akron car looked like the best option on the market. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #113
the_scotsman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sport Evo/JP M3/M4 GTS

If you want a clean car with full warranty, then BMW Akron still have a NEW white GTS for sale at MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #114
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
What he said buy the damn thing
I did!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #115
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786 View Post
Quote:
Did you take a look at the wear indicators on the ccb rotors? What did they look like? In one image on the dealers site, it looks like the indicator circle is very dark.

I've been contemplating a little road trip to go take a look at the car but I want to get the basics on it first. Unfortunately, the online sales manager was not willing to go out and take a quick snapshot of the wear indicators or other parts of the car. He wasn't really willing to get out of his chair for me at all. He also wasn't forthright about the car being someone's track day toy.

From what I can tell by the low resolution pics, it might need 4 new ccb rotors ($15k) and a new upper and lower front splitter ($5k). Since the car clearly had a track-off, I (or anyone who sees this and is interested in buying that car) would also want to budget to inspect or replace cracked front suspension parts ($?k) as well as any cooling package and underbody parts directly behind that splitter crack.

If these are selling for $80-85k without any service/maintenance needs right now, a car with these needs is possibly only worth around $70k-ish as-is, right?

SC~
(my first post)
I spoke to John Therien there, his # is 415-482-2005, he was really helpful and truthful on the condition of the car. Said it was tracked "heavily" and came in on slicks but otherwise was in good condition. Said they would not weigh the CCB's even before I asked. But he did say they would replace the front splitter for free with an OEM replacement. He also said it has 4 new tires due to the aforementioned arrival on slicks.

I don't think this is a bad car and it has been for sale for a long time. I got the feeling they are motivated to sell and price can be lowered substantially. They were also throwing in free shipping to Dallas. If you are serious about the car just go visit it if you are nearby and see for yourself. The miles overall are low and I've been told the CCB's can take 6-8k track miles before they wear out so could have a lot of life left in them. M2C rotors aren't expensive either. I wouldn't pass on the car so easily IF you are looking for something that will see track time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
This one at BMW of Akron looks like the best buy to me at the moment. mid-80's. https://www.bmwakron.com/used-Akron-...4S9C55GK578917
I bought this one.

Couldn't see listing any more, if still under warranty get the water injection checked, there is a replacement part (valve block assembly) which has been re-designed.

Mine had 5100 miles late 2016 production I think, water injection needed replacing.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #116
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Scratch that, deal fell through. So I had a trade and we agreed on a value, they overnighted paperwork, I signed and returned, then we scheduled shipping and everything looked to be a done deal. Then on the day of shipping I get a call from their sales manager wanting to change the value of my trade due to their buyer backing out. Apparently they were flipping my car. Unbelievable as we already signed all the paperwork and scheduled delivery but I’m out of state so I guess they feel they can treat me this way.

Anyway, back to the drawing board. Will find another GTS.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #117
Stark7x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nothing, for now...

Quote:
Quote:
Scratch that, deal fell through. So I had a trade and we agreed on a value, they overnighted paperwork, I signed and returned, then we scheduled shipping and everything looked to be a done deal. Then on the day of shipping I get a call from their sales manager wanting to change the value of my trade due to their buyer backing out. Apparently they were flipping my car. Unbelievable as we already signed all the paperwork and scheduled delivery but I'm out of state so I guess they feel they can treat me this way.

That sucks man. What a blow. Pretty shitty on their part. If the deal was signed, I'm sure you have some legal action you could pursue, If you want to go that route.
      10-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #118
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:
Scratch that, deal fell through. So I had a trade and we agreed on a value, they overnighted paperwork, I signed and returned, then we scheduled shipping and everything looked to be a done deal. Then on the day of shipping I get a call from their sales manager wanting to change the value of my trade due to their buyer backing out. Apparently they were flipping my car. Unbelievable as we already signed all the paperwork and scheduled delivery but I’m out of state so I guess they feel they can treat me this way.

Check cars.com.
2 new ones since yesterday...
It looks like $89,000 is going to be the new base line for a clean one though.
The two cheaper ones have issues.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #119
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Scratch that, deal fell through. So I had a trade and we agreed on a value, they overnighted paperwork, I signed and returned, then we scheduled shipping and everything looked to be a done deal. Then on the day of shipping I get a call from their sales manager wanting to change the value of my trade due to their buyer backing out. Apparently they were flipping my car. Unbelievable as we already signed all the paperwork and scheduled delivery but I'm out of state so I guess they feel they can treat me this way.

That sucks.

What are you trading in?
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #120
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark7x View Post
That sucks man. What a blow. Pretty shitty on their part. If the deal was signed, I'm sure you have some legal action you could pursue, If you want to go that route.
Ya it sucks but c'est la vie. I spoke to my attorney and he said I definitely have a case but the jurisdiction is likely in Ohio so wouldn't be worth fighting. I just do business differently and if I have a signed commitment which I've countersigned then I consider it a done deal. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Check cars.com.
2 new ones since yesterday...
It looks like $89,000 is going to be the new base line for a clean one though.
The two cheaper ones have issues.
I have tentatively just bought one at $82k. Hopefully goes smoother this time. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post
That sucks.

What are you trading in?
Porsche 911.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #121
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I have tentatively just bought one at $82k. Hopefully goes smoother this time. Fingers crossed.
Good luck on this one. Post signatures is bush league.

Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 01:09 AM   #122
Secret Chimp
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, Lotus Exige S, 61 Mini

Quote:
I bought the San Rafael car today. It's my first BMW. The car is in extremely good shape!
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
fanatic11018.50
Andrae26852.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
Darth One6612.50
Gomeler500.00
4play414.50
h_bakken148.50
Lienrocs703.00
      10-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #123
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I bought the San Rafael car today. It's my first BMW. The car is in extremely good shape!
Looks great, virgin front splitter!

Is is zero miles?
Definitely get the 1200 mile running in service done ASAP and then get water injection checked, ENJOY!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #124
Secret Chimp
Private
Rep

Thanks! Yeah, the orange splitter has never been on the car. The carbon splitter has a crack to the epoxy resin coat and lots of scrapes underneath. I'll fix that this week.

On the service records it shows that the water injection system was serviced late last year and that the car had it's break-in service on schedule. It has 4100 miles on the clock as it sits in my garage today. I'm going to drop it off at the local dealership soon for a check before the warranty runs out. I'm also going to contact the guy on this forum who offers good deals on extended factory warranties.

Last edited by Secret Chimp; 10-12-2020 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #125
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, the orange splitter has never been on the car. The carbon splitter has a crack to the epoxy resin coat and lots of scrapes underneath. I'll fix that this week.

On the service records it shows that the water injection system was serviced late last year and that the car had it's break-in service on schedule. It has 4100 miles on the clock as it sits in my garage today. I'm going to drop it off at the local dealership soon for a check before the warranty runs. I'm also going to contact the guy on this forum who offers good deals on extended factory warranties.

Great plan, you will love the car.

I just bought mine about a month ago with 5100 miles, BMW warranty is good until 8 November, I just extended it until 84 months (GOLFFRR on this forum was who I contacted). Since car is still on warranty now is the time as should be a done deal.

BMW tried to deny extended on mine due to the fact the car didn't have an oil change for 18 months (didn't need one, was not being driven!)

Christine (warranty person at the shop) was persistent and turned out OK, got extended. Aftermarket is cheaper but I'm OK with that.

My orange splitter lip has some cosmetic dings, nothing deeper than the paint, cost of doing business...

My water injection was not working but previous owner unaware of the problem, has been fixed and now seems to work fine (I wasn't sure at first but now I am).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #126
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congrats man, looks great! Glad it went to a good home
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #127
Secret Chimp
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. It turns out, they removed the carbon lip and were going to have it repaired. They weren't replacing it. The damage is very light and I will be doing the epoxy crack repair myself.

Also, about the track time thing. I've owned and seen lots of new cars over the years with significant track time logged on them. This car doesn't look like it's been on the track much. It has almost no chips on the nose, almost no marks on the lower trim from rocks, and the Ti exhaust hasn't gotten very hot and is not colorful. The CCB brake wear indicators look great as well! The caliper paint isn't 'baked' looking. No chunks of rubber stuck to the underside or in nooks and crannies. So, if the car was on track a lot, the owner wasn't pushing it all that much! To me, it looks like it's has 2-3 HDPE's under its belt. Only the 'nut and bolt counter' collectors will care about that.

SC~
Appreciate 1
4play414.50
      10-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #128
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. It turns out, they removed the carbon lip and were going to have it repaired. They weren't replacing it. The damage is very light and I will be doing the epoxy crack repair myself.
If you are interested in replacing that upper splitter, I can confirm that the RW Carbon GTS upper splitter is an exact match for the stock one. Mine came today - it has the 6 threaded holes for the lower splitter and the 2x2 weave is the same as stock.

My stock splitter was cracked in multiple places, and I had an OEM replacement, but I wanted to save the OEM one for the next owner. So I picked up the RW one and it looks great!

Only $760 + shipping.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      10-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #129
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Also, about the track time thing. I've owned and seen lots of new cars over the years with significant track time logged on them. This car doesn't look like it's been on the track much. It has almost no chips on the nose, almost no marks on the lower trim from rocks, and the Ti exhaust hasn't gotten very hot and is not colorful. The CCB brake wear indicators look great as well! The caliper paint isn't 'baked' looking. No chunks of rubber stuck to the underside or in nooks and crannies. So, if the car was on track a lot, the owner wasn't pushing it all that much! To me, it looks like it's has 2-3 HDPE's under its belt. Only the 'nut and bolt counter' collectors will care about that.

SC~
No worries, glad you picked up the car. They said they would replace the orange lower splitter, didnt know the upper cf lip was damaged as well. Sounds like an easy fix or pick up a replacement.

And ya, the salesperson's definition of track time could be different from yours. At 3k miles iirc even if all the miles were track miles it doesn't necessarily mean the car is knackered. Happy for you man, enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #130
Secret Chimp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post
Great plan, you will love the car.

I just bought mine about a month ago with 5100 miles, BMW warranty is good until 8 November, I just extended it until 84 months (GOLFFRR on this forum was who I contacted). Since car is still on warranty now is the time as should be a done deal.

BMW tried to deny extended on mine due to the fact the car didn't have an oil change for 18 months (didn't need one, was not being driven!)

Christine (warranty person at the shop) was persistent and turned out OK, got extended. Aftermarket is cheaper but I'm OK with that.

My orange splitter lip has some cosmetic dings, nothing deeper than the paint, cost of doing business...

My water injection was not working but previous owner unaware of the problem, has been fixed and now seems to work fine (I wasn't sure at first but now I am).
I was eyeballing the car you ended up with a little while back. It looks like you got a great car! How were you able to surmise that the water injection system wasn't working? Did you just notice that it didn't seem to be using water?

I hope you don't mind, I'm going to PM you sometime soon to talk more about your extended warranty process.
Appreciate 1
h_bakken148.50
      10-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #131
Secret Chimp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
If you are interested in replacing that upper splitter, I can confirm that the RW Carbon GTS upper splitter is an exact match for the stock one. Mine came today - it has the 6 threaded holes for the lower splitter and the 2x2 weave is the same as stock.

My stock splitter was cracked in multiple places, and I had an OEM replacement, but I wanted to save the OEM one for the next owner. So I picked up the RW one and it looks great!

Only $760 + shipping.
I'm glad to hear it's a proper replica of the oem part. Thanks for the update on that. At $760, you won't cringe much when you hear it scrape! I might pick one up depending on how my repair goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #132
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post

Only $760 + shipping.
Super interesting

So how can you get the whole front GTS setup? Buy the RW Replica and then add the flat thing from Fall Line to connect to it?
Appreciate 0