R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #23
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
Have both cars and I think there summary is pretty accurate. The M3 is more clinical (German!) whereas the Giulia Quadrafoglio is more emotional (Italiano!). The M3 is more daily driving flexible (fold down rear seats, infotainment), but the engine in the Alfa is handsdown better. It also seems to put the power tonthe ground better than the M3 despite having 80 more horsepower. Always loved the steering in my M3 and think it is the best in this class, however, the Giulia is much better balanced on the limit. I suspect the torque vectoring is better than the M3's limited slip diff.

The interior quality on the BMW is only slightly better, but the Alfa's interior and exterior design are pretty special in person. Lastly, the Alfa in Race mode sounds a 1,000x better than the M3. My M3 had an MPE, but though louder than the Giulia, the Alfa sound like a Ferrari underload. Just amazing.

Only time will tell on the general ownership experience and reliability, but hard to see it eclipsing the M3. I think the next Gen M3 will leapfrog over the Giulia QV out of absolute necessity, but if this is Alfa's entry point, I can't even fathom where they go from here, other than adding a few missing features, and adding even more horsepower. Lastly, Pogea Racing already has a 600hp tune on for the Giulia Quadrafoglio. Given how much faster the Alfa is than the M3, I'm not even sure the tune is desirable at this point. These cars are already approaching too fast for the public roads as is.

If you haven't seen, heard, ridden in, or driven the new Quadrafoglio yet...phone a friend who has access to one. BTW...my number's unlisted now!! ;-)
"approaching too fast for the public roads as is"

Approaching? My tuned N20 is too fast for daily driving most of North Jersey's roads. That said, thanks for sharing your experience so far. What was the impetus to get the QV if you already had the M3? Just to compare, needed to change things up? Do you find yourself picking which car to drive based on your mood?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
mc3456389.50
      03-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #24
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Quote:
The M3 is an awesome car, but no longer king of the hill at this particular moment. However, 12-18 months from now, it will definitely leapfrog the Alfa.
The next gen M3 is not bound to arrive here for at least 3 years. Heck, the E90 M3 was in production into 2011 and there was a 3 year gap before the F80 became available. With the F80 in production into next year, it could be 2021 before you can get a new one, and then it's a first year car.
Appreciate 1
mc3456389.50
      03-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I love modern cars for this reason. Every car in this segment is good in its own way. I think BMW still had the edge when it came to "overall best car" but the Alfa really came in and shook things up.

Can someone tell me if the Alfa has a manual option. Heard it was squashed but have yet to confirm it.
Confirmed only 8-Speed Auto. No manual, no DCT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #26
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
The Alfa absolutely does not have 80 hp more than the BMW. Probably closer to 30hp, if the Alfa performs as listed, which the BMW does not do.

Where they should go from here is focus on quality. Every review I have read or watched they mention the Alfa breaks down after or during.
You could not be more wrong about the horsepower argument. Ask somebody else who owns both and they will confirm there is a YUGE difference in power levels. Everybody on this forum wants to believe the M3 is under-rated. It absolutely is not. What your seeing on dyno tests is the difference between DCT vs Automatic transmissions via estimated driveline correction factors. On the road, the Giulia is definitely faster. Drive both of them for several hours then report back to us.

Not sure what reviews your reading.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-07-2017 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #27
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post

Approaching? My tuned N20 is too fast for daily driving most of North Jersey's roads. That said, thanks for sharing your experience so far. What was the impetus to get the QV if you already had the M3? Just to compare, needed to change things up? Do you find yourself picking which car to drive based on your mood?

I loved my modded M3 but get bored quickly with cars. Like to change things up every 12-24 months. Have had lots of success with Swapalease.com to lease transfer with minimal or nothing out of pocket.

The tuned N20 is a pretty quick car too. Some cars are almost too fast to enjoy on public roads. I had 2014 E63s prior to my M3. That car was amazingly fast. I grew tired of it after 9 months of averaging 15MPH during my hour long morning commute. Frustrating! My favorite drive in it was on the way down to LimeRock at 6AM on the day I used my AMG Driving Academy Gift from AMG for buying the car. The car pulled like no other car I have owned before, including 3 prior AMGs.

Bought the M3 because it was more engaging to drive at lower speeds, but was a huge letdown acceleration-wise after 9 mos of 577hp...and THAT car actually was under rated horsepower-wise compared to the M3, which I really don't think is under rated despite people's wishes on this board.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-06-2017 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #28
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The next gen M3 is not bound to arrive here for at least 3 years. Heck, the E90 M3 was in production into 2011 and there was a 3 year gap before the F80 became available. With the F80 in production into next year, it could be 2021 before you can get a new one, and then it's a first year car.
That is unfortunate! Hopefully, BMW "turns up the volume" sooner then, or it will find itself at the bottom of the pack in 3 years. Unfortunately, I think the S55 is pretty stretched as is, whereas AMG could easily boost the C63s to anywhere between 550-600hp.

Pogea Racing already has an ECU tune putting out 600hp in the Giulia Quadrafoglio. They're a pretty good operation, so the Alfa's engine has potential too. Curious to see where the Jaguar XE SVR and Audi RS4/5 come in too.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #29
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

I loved my modded M3 but get bored quickly with cars. Like to change things up every 12-24 months. Have had lots of success with Swapalease.com to lease transfer with minimal or nothing out of pocket.

The tuned N20 is a pretty quick car too. Some cars are almost too fast to enjoy on public roads. I had 2014 E63s prior to my M3. That car was amazingly fast. I grew tired of it after 9 months of averaging 15MPH during my hour long morning commute. Frustrating! My favorite drive in it was on the way down to LimeRock at 6AM on the day I used my AMG Driving Academy Gift from AMG for buying the car. The car pulled like no other car I have owned before, including 3 prior AMGs.

Bought the M3 because it was more engaging to drive at lower speeds, but was a huge letdown acceleration-wise after 9 mos of 577hp...and THAT car actually was under rated horsepower-wise compared to the M3, which I really don't think is under rated despite people's wishes on this board.
You sound like me. I get bored pretty quick too. I'm planning to put a deposit down on an AMG wagon later this year, but I'm really loving the idea of Volvo's V90. I'm sure 600+ hp will help keep me happy for a bit, but I know full well I'll be lusting after every V90 wagon I see on the road.

I just wish BMW would come to their senses and build the perfect car: an M3 wagon. Sigh...

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
mc3456389.50
      03-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #30
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

The Alfa sounds very similar to the F8x, actually. You guys are funny.
Appreciate 1
mc3456389.50
      03-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #31
Rudeboy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
Never saw a Giulia in person but from the pictures and videos, imho the M3 is better looking and way more aggressive in styling, that V shape grill just don't do it for me. As for performance, they seem more exited in the M3 than the Giulia!
First off, it's "excited", not "exited", and you'd better watch the video again. The M3 is an awesome car, but no longer king of the hill at this particular moment. However, 12-18 months from now, it will definitely leapfrog the Alfa.

Never try to compare cars solely based on pictures. All cars present differently in person except the ATS-V. That's ugly any way you slice it.
Thanks for the spell check brobut not even in person I would like that car, the triangle grill is plain ugly! I hope I spelled everything correctly!
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      03-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #32
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
The Alfa sounds very similar to the F8x, actually. You guys are funny.
It's SO funny because it is similar in many ways, yet SO different at the same time. 580 miles into it and still trying to wrap my head around it after 22.5K in the M3.

I concluded about 30 mins ago while on a drive that if you could put the Alfa's engine and ride into the M3, you'd have the best sport sedan ever designed. I might update the M3's looks with some of the Alfa's sensual curves and to die for exhaust note, no better car there would be!

Last edited by mc3456; 03-07-2017 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #33
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
Thanks for the spell check brobut not even in person I would like that car, the triangle grill is plain ugly! I hope I spelled everything correctly!
Obviously, aestetics are subjective. There plenty of "modded" cars on this forum to prove that!

Many people hate the BMW kidney grills too. Personally, I love them both, and appreciate both manufacturers sticking close to their heritage, unlike soulless companies like Lexus, Lincoln, etc. that seem to change up their look ever two years due to mediocre market acceptance.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-06-2017 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #34
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You sound like me. I get bored pretty quick too. I'm planning to put a deposit down on an AMG wagon later this year, but I'm really loving the idea of Volvo's V90. I'm sure 600+ hp will help keep me happy for a bit, but I know full well I'll be lusting after every V90 wagon I see on the road.

I just wish BMW would come to their senses and build the perfect car: an M3 wagon. Sigh...

High horsepower is definitely addictive but not for everyone...obviously...as if all the racked up LaFerraris and McLarens by clueless Chinese Women in Asia were not evidence enough!

My point is not a critique of fast cars so much as antiquated regressionistic environmental policies in the U.S. I vote for increasing driving test standards/requirements, and upgrading roadways to Germany like standards.

Let's Make American Roads Great Again!
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      03-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #35
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
The Alfa absolutely does not have 80 hp more than the BMW. Probably closer to 30hp, if the Alfa performs as listed, which the BMW does not do.

Where they should go from here is focus on quality. Every review I have read or watched they mention the Alfa breaks down after or during.
I keep hearing this over an over in reviews as well. The Alfa is an impressive performance specimen, but reliability is almost dead last and the interior is not great. They've seem to got it down where it counts though, so maybe next generation or two they'll round out the package.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #36
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
This reviewer thinks the M3 steering in sport+ is perfection? Lmao. The Alphas steering is 1000 times better. Looks are subjective but I personally prefer the smoother lines in car designs. It's why Porsche design has stood the test of time. The Guila wins this comparison hands down. Oh, and I've heard the argument that if you think the BMW is not so reliable get friendly with the Alpha service department. It's the same argument the Lexus crowd makes when discussing their M3 completion...don't be that guy.

Much better review imo:

03-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #37
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Sport+ steering in M3 does not feel anywhere close to perfection at all.
I laughed when I heard this too. Perfect would certainly not be anything BMW whether hydraulic or electric. Porsche would take that one.

Mc3456 - loving hearing your further impressions. I don't think you'll see a new M3 for many years. Looks like the Alfa has proven to be the alpha (pun intended) of the group. I like my M4 but there is no a think I love besides how nice it looks after you spend thousands to lower it, tiny if, add all the M performance grills and a trunk spoiler. It certainly lacks in many key areas (steering, sound, transmission, quality).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #38
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
High horsepower is definitely addictive but not for everyone...obviously...as if all the racked up LaFerraris and McLarens by clueless Chinese Women in Asia were not evidence enough!

My point is not a critique of fast cars so much as antiquated regressionistic environmental policies in the U.S. I vote for increasing driving test standards/requirements, and upgrading roadways to Germany like standards.

Let's Make American Roads Great Again!
I'm with you 100% as I was born in Europe and live in the U.S. and 97.2% drivers here are atrocious, unaware and do not understand the 1st thing about right away or maintaining their vehicles. Its annoying and frustrating that some of the worlds straightest, most advanced 4-5 lane highways dwell here to only be used @ 55mph and even then ass clowns cruise in the left doing 54 cause insane accidents on "STRAIGHT-AWAYS".

Sigh...
The land of 100k mile warranty Hyundai's, Prius left lane traffic regulators, Get shot at because you flashed someone to GTF out of the way....I guess we cant have everything here...I wouldn't hold my breath on getting Germany like standards here in the next two to three hundred years till driving is fully automated.

Rant over. God Bless the USA though love me some Merica.
      03-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #39
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Sport+ steering in M3 does not feel anywhere close to perfection at all.
I laughed when I heard this too. Perfect would certainly not be anything BMW whether hydraulic or electric. Porsche would take that one.

Mc3456 - loving hearing your further impressions. I don't think you'll see a new M3 for many years. Looks like the Alfa has proven to be the alpha (pun intended) of the group. I like my M4 but there is no a think I love besides how nice it looks after you spend thousands to lower it, tiny if, add all the M performance grills and a trunk spoiler. It certainly lacks in many key areas (steering, sound, transmission, quality).
Honestly with technology the way it is now, it is usually the car that's newest that takes the overall edge.

The M3 is a great car. And would still be my choice only because it looks better imo.

There will always be something newer and better
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #40
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:

Enjoy your m3 bro
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #41
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

IMO, the F80 looks better. I've seen the Alfa in person, on the road, and doesn't look that great to me. The headlights are very bland. The grill is unique, but not my cup of tea.

Looks are very subjective, it's great there are so many designs for enthusiasts to choose from. I think the Merc is a great looker from the front and side. Maybe the Alfa has good angles too, need to see more to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #42
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Although I initially cringed at this video for non-car related factors, it is consistent with other reviews. Both are great cars. Until/if Alfa offers a MT (or BMW stops offering one) this is a non-comparison to me. That said, BMW needs to up the ante in terms of driver involvement (who'd have thought?) and Alfa need to pay attention to reliability.

While I am really enjoying my F80 M3 as a DD, a drive in my E39 M5 today reminded me what I miss in modern BMWs.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
SDPLV493.00
      03-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #43
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
It may sound 'better', but no turbocharged engine has ever sounded 'good'

Comments like 'it sounds like a Ferrari' are laughable except if you're talking about the new turbocharged Ferraris that sound like crap
No turbo charged engine sounds as great as a good naturally aspirated engine, but the 488 at speed is not terrible, nor is the C63s, and the Alfa in Race Mode actually sounds fantastic, whereas the M3 is just awful. How can you not grasp the comparison. I'm driving both cars everyday, so I think I'm giving you a pretty fair assessment.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4683.00
      03-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #44
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
IMO, the F80 looks better. I've seen the Alfa in person, on the road, and doesn't look that great to me. The headlights are very bland. The grill is unique, but not my cup of tea.

Looks are very subjective, it's great there are so many designs for enthusiasts to choose from. I think the Merc is a great looker from the front and side. Maybe the Alfa has good angles too, need to see more to know.
Did you see the Quadrafoglio or base Guilia? They look quite different, just like the 330/M3, C300/C63s. Looking at both in my garage and though beautiful, the M3 looks a little squared off on the fenders, kind of like the design is getting a little tired now. It was sort of the same way when the F80 came out, it made the E92 (though classic) look pretty old, pretty fast.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-07-2017 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0