GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #45
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
as usual you are pretty far off. the new m3/4 will be close in weight to the c7 with equal power and far more tuneable. 600whp will be fairly easy to achieve in a car that weighs 3300 lbs. both with be beasts.
Close in weight maybe.. And of course with a tune but as you should know by now when people compare to stock cars you compare them as stock. Not everyone, myself being one, is going to tune a factory turbo m3 or any other factory turbo car so its irrelevant. The c7 will have WAY better performance. The vette has always absolutely slaughtered the m3 in performance and it will be no different. Hell the e92 m3 with dct still can't beat a early run c6 with a slushbox.

Last edited by Longwong; 08-18-2013 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #46
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I'm sorry but I had not seen one in white and it looks GOOD. I hate black wheels but would consider ordering that car exactly as pictured. Wow!
Yah i agree completely, if i was to get a Vette i would order that exact car, man that white looks good.
      08-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #47
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Close in weight maybe.. And of course with a tune but as you should know by now when people compare to stock cars you compare them as stock. Not everyone, myself being one, is going to tune a factory turbo m3 or any other factory turbo car so its irrelevant. The c7 will have WAY better performance. The vette has always absolutely slaughtered the m3 in performance and it will be no different. Hell the e92 m3 with dct still can't beat a early run c6 with a slushbox.
well you may be the only one that doesnt tune the thing. most gtr owners ive ever met are tuned, because its so easy to do. playing field may level out some.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #48
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Sorry for the bump.

Being a c6 vette owner, I wouldn't go back to it as I have enjoyed it enough. Time to try something new and I want to experience something more practical. C6 might have the largest trunk space ever for a sports car but I really need a 4 seater.

BMW's pricing might be higher compared to c7 stingray but its not that bad is it. Besides, I always had a weak spot for m3/m4 and this would be like a dream come true.

I was also considering a Porsche 991 Carrera's but their pricing are off the roof. A mildly optioned carrera will touch close 100k. Porsche make some fine cars but damn their prices are high.

Last bit, I am really fascinated by turbo cars. I will miss the v8 noise but turbo's tunability with basic inputs is such a plus point. I dunno how tunable the m3 would be but lets see. Its exciting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I need four seats.
+1000
      08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #49
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

My rule is if you don't need back seats, don't get them. I am trying to decide whether I can go to a two seater now or if I still need the back seats for a few more years.

That aside, does anyone with a DCT M3 and loving it think they could go back to a manual transmission? That's my problem with the Vette right out of the gate. I really don't want to give up the lightning shifts. And the manualized automatic offered in the car is not noted for its quickness in shifting gears. A DCT would have made the C7 perfect. I have to believe it will get one sometime in its life, or at least a modern auto offering a comparable experience.

In fact, this is not just a problem with the C7, it is a problem with just about every American performance car. But I think we'll see that change with this new and upcoming generation of cars. It's just a matter of one of the Big Three being the first one to take the plunge.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #50
BoostJnkie
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46 M3 || 1993 RX-7

I'm sorry but I cannot get over those taillights. They absolutely ruin the C7 for me.

Also, the tune point for the M3/4 is kind of irrelevant as most people will not want to void warranty out the gate.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #51
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

There is no doubt that the performance of the Vette is going to be up there with the worlds best. I just got done selling a car that sacrifices everyday livability for the pinnacle of performance. When my old GT3 was in its element there wasn't another car I'd want to be driving. But for me and my lifestyle (work, family) those times are few and far between. This time around I want a car that is high performance and practical for everyday life. Otherwise I won't drive the car too often. For me the M4 looks like that car.
      08-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #52
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
The c7 will demolish the m3/4 so from a performance standpoint it is a no brainer. Its the same question it has long been. Do you want 10 times the performance but drive a vette or you want pretty good performance and have a bmw.
C&D says the C7 will do 0-60 in 3.8s. They got 3.9s from the E92 M3. For the 1/4 it was 12.0 for the C7, 12.1 for the M3. Better, yes. Just barely. Saying it has 10 times the performance is plain ignorant.

Handling is not so easy to compare, but the M3 is always at the top of the list here, only losing it to much lighter cars like Lotus and the Boxter S. Will the C7 handling beat it? Maybe, but, maybe not. It will, as Vettes have always been, great at handling. The M4 should not dissapoint. We shall see.

As for weight, the M4 is shedding weight and C7 gained weight. We really have to wait and see what the real weight of the M4 is, but it is possible, if BMW is to be believed, that the M3 will weigh less than the C7!

Will you shop the C7 against M4? They're both performance cars and similar in price. The M4 will be costlier but in return you will have 2 extra seats and very likely it will be put together better than the C7, even though they say that the new Vette is leaps and bounds better in this regard than previous versions. I think, just because the C7 is a two-seater and the M4 has 4 seats that most will not cross shop these. If you need the back seat the answer is truly a no-brainer for the M4 (or new M3). If you want a sports car without regard to convenience than the C7 becomes attractive, but, I dare say in this case, the decision is far from being a no-brainer for the C7.

Cheers.
      08-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #53
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

And on top of that you're buying a primarily plastic paneled car. Even though it's lighter and all that, Vettes do not exude quality because of it.
      08-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #54
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

LOL at people choosing an american car over a fine german-engineered iconic car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #55
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I've had my heart set on a M3 for awhile and will probably wait a year or two into the new iteration but man there is so much competition out there. Hard to deny the C7 bang for buck...

Old news but this paragraph stood out as it was eyeing the M3:
"As a point of comparison, the LT1 engine is now 40 pounds lighter than "a competitor's twin-turbo 4.4-liter, DOHC V-8 with similar output," according to Chevrolet's press release. We'll give you a hint; the mystery competitor is German and has a three-letter name, with the first a `B' and the last a `W.' The lighter engine is nestled into a Corvette platform featuring a longer wheelbase and, as a result, the C7 Corvette has a "near perfect" 50/50 weight balance front and rear. "

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first...specs-revealed
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #56
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
My rule is if you don't need back seats, don't get them. I am trying to decide whether I can go to a two seater now or if I still need the back seats for a few more years.

That aside, does anyone with a DCT M3 and loving it think they could go back to a manual transmission? That's my problem with the Vette right out of the gate. I really don't want to give up the lightning shifts. And the manualized automatic offered in the car is not noted for its quickness in shifting gears. A DCT would have made the C7 perfect. I have to believe it will get one sometime in its life, or at least a modern auto offering a comparable experience.

In fact, this is not just a problem with the C7, it is a problem with just about every American performance car. But I think we'll see that change with this new and upcoming generation of cars. It's just a matter of one of the Big Three being the first one to take the plunge.
I agree with you here. If American cars had the fantastic trannys that BMW and Porsche has... But we know those things don't come cheap and looks like the American cars are spending their money elsewhere and need to be competitive and less expensive. Drop in a DCT and while it make be game changing from a driving perspective for those who prefer paddles, I'm guessing the price point will be right at those cars they're trying to compete against on price.

/2cents
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #57
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
I'd say M4,
I like the looks better and had bad experiences with american cars in general. M4 post LCI will be a car to keep for a long time it's hard to pick one without interior pics of the M4 and no specs or pricing. I read in a post a while back that the M4 should have a 0-60 of 3.8 secs now that would be sick.

(a poll would be nice for this thread)
I'm sorry you have "had bad experiences with american cars in general", but to use that as an argument to own BMW (pretty crappy reliability and initial quality issues), is odd. For example, I don't remember the last time any American automaker was able to get away with defective HPFP in >100,000 cars for years and not admit anything was wrong.

Also, there is no data anywhere that suggests that the M4 will be 0-60 in 3.8 sec.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #58
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i am already seeing C7s now..
That's because you live in MI. The rest of the country hasn't seen the C7 yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #59
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
When was the last time you saw a 25yr ~35yr old male in a C6?
When was the last time you saw a non-Caucasian in a C6?

Yeah, I know, GM marketing is still scratching their heads as why they can't sell Corvettes to the younger crowd (and non-Caucasian) either, but they THINK C7 will change all that.

Simply put, a lot of guys here just cannot be seen in a 'Vette because it's not who we are, performance and interior quality has nothing to do with it.
+1. I've never been a Corvette fan and the thought of ever owning one was repulsive. I don't wear a wife-beater, gold chains, and I have all my teeth.

That said, the C7 changes everything. The new BMWs change everything as well. The C7 is a technological marvel, but don't take my word for it. That is verbatim from Car and Driver (or MT, or one of those reviews). The new BMWs are a bit fugly, expensive, and technologically, there's really nothing new or innovative.

I'd take the C7 and put the extra $25K toward a Wrangler (as my 4x4 and 4 seater). I'd run circles around the M4 both on road, off road, and on the track. The C7's Z51 package with Mag suspension is simply amazing...much better than anything BMW offers. Trust me, I would said you were crazy if you would have told me a few months ago that I was going to post this!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #60
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
And on top of that you're buying a primarily plastic paneled car. Even though it's lighter and all that, Vettes do not exude quality because of it.
True for C6 and before. However, the C7 has extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #61
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble View Post
LOL at people choosing an american car over a fine german-engineered iconic car.
LOL at people for being brand whores and not objective buyers.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #62
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I agree with you here. If American cars had the fantastic trannys that BMW and Porsche has... But we know those things don't come cheap and looks like the American cars are spending their money elsewhere and need to be competitive and less expensive. Drop in a DCT and while it make be game changing from a driving perspective for those who prefer paddles, I'm guessing the price point will be right at those cars they're trying to compete against on price.

/2cents
I'd pay more for a MT vs. DCT!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #63
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
LOL at people for being brand whores and not objective buyers.
Absolutely right! Because the C7 is made by GM, and they really know how to make great cars! More carbon fiber in construction, so it only weighs a little more than the C6. EMS, which you can be sure will be superior to BMW, because they're the leader in innovation, and I can't remember the last time they had any quality control issues. What's the downside? You should get the Vette. You're a Vette type of guy!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #64
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Absolutely right! Because the C7 is made by GM, and they really know how to make great cars! More carbon fiber in construction, so it only weighs a little more than the C6. EMS, which you can be sure will be superior to BMW, because they're the leader in innovation, and I can't remember the last time they had any quality control issues. What's the downside? You should get the Vette. You're a Vette type of guy!
And I rest my case.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #65
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R;1457 5944
C7 will have a plastic bumpers like the M3/M4.

C7 has standard carbon fiber hood and roof. Floor of C7 is even a carbon composite. Seat frames are magnesium.

All aluminum chassis, not aluminum/steel like the C6.

For a $50k price tag. The Vette is certainly not skimping on materials.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #66
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I get the fact the C7 is made by americans, and yes the corvette use to be a piece of plastic, but the materials they used for this new vet is astounding. Made by aluminum and carbon fiber, not just that the inside is real carbon fiber also. You can't be so ignorant about it since its just made by an american company. I bet if bmw or porsche slapped their brand on the corvette and not chevy most of the people would change their minds about it. The M4 looks like its going to be an amazing car as well, but in my opinion i dont see anything revolutionary from the e92 M3. Yeah it'll be lighter, faster, better gas, but I just expected more from a car that was so hyped from a couple months back.