Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-01-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
1of4jars
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 MWM, ZCP, ZDB, ZEC, ZLP

Drive Train Malfunction

My 2017 F82 M4 has thrown that fault 3x. The first time the dealer declared it an erroneous fault after following their prescripted troubleshooting process. The second time they found an open circuit on a vertical acceleration sensor, which they replaced. Third time (today) the fault pointed to a clutch pressure anomaly, and after following the prescripted troubleshooting process was also deemed an erroneous fault leading to nothing replaced or repaired. In each case, the fault was cleared and did not reappear following a test drive. I'll also add that each time, my car returned to normal mode after a restart. My SA told me that the DT Malfunction indication literally has 100's of faults underneath it. So seeking an online solution (spark plugs, coils, VANOS, etc) is pointless. Surprisingly my SA suggested I call BMW North America and start a formal record of dissatisfaction - said it could lead to a more aggressive response, buy-back, or even replacement. For me it's more of a nuisance, but driving in limp mode is NOT safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of4jars View Post
My 2017 F82 M4 has thrown that fault 3x. The first time the dealer declared it an erroneous fault after following their prescripted troubleshooting process. The second time they found an open circuit on a vertical acceleration sensor, which they replaced. Third time (today) the fault pointed to a clutch pressure anomaly, and after following the prescripted troubleshooting process was also deemed an erroneous fault leading to nothing replaced or repaired. In each case, the fault was cleared and did not reappear following a test drive. I'll also add that each time, my car returned to normal mode after a restart. My SA told me that the DT Malfunction indication literally has 100's of faults underneath it. So seeking an online solution (spark plugs, coils, VANOS, etc) is pointless. Surprisingly my SA suggested I call BMW North America and start a formal record of dissatisfaction - said it could lead to a more aggressive response, buy-back, or even replacement. For me it's more of a nuisance, but driving in limp mode is NOT safe.
Which San Diego dealer are you using for service? PM me if you want.

Appreciate 0