R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
d00bies
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

jrz coilover noise when cold

Anyone else have a dry shock shaft noise when cold? Sounds like the front shocks aren't getting lubed, but once i drive and everything heats up, noise goes away.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00bies View Post
Anyone else have a dry shock shaft noise when cold? Sounds like the front shocks aren't getting lubed, but once i drive and everything heats up, noise goes away.
I have been getting a lot of noise that you describe as well. Lots of creaks from what sounds like a dry shock shaft. At slow speeds while angled on a drive way will make the most creaks. I'm on JRZ RS2 Sport.

I'm gonna do a tear down of the front suspension soon and lube everything back up.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
d00bies
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

lmk how that goes. noise is starting to get really annoying. just too lazy to tear everything down.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Subbed, let us know what you figure out
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 05:16 AM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
lmk how that goes. noise is starting to get really annoying. just too lazy to tear everything down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bem4 View Post
I'll let you guys know when I get it done; It'll be a few weeks though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Yup, my RS Pros make a squeaking sound in the rear, and you can also hear the fluid moving between the shocks and reservoir. And after a track session they do seem to get quieter.
      04-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bem4 View Post
Alright, I finally got a chance to do a front strut tear down. Here's what I found.

Part of the upper spring seat was sheared at the location it comes into contact with the shock piston. The shock piston has a step to seat the upper spring seat and camber plate ball joint. Since the upper spring seat metal is softer than the piston, there was no damage done to the piston. This happened on both sides. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the source of the noises, but I thought I'd let you guys know about it anyways. I've attached photos of what I'm talking about.

After tearing down the strut assembly, I meticulously cleaned all debris out of the nooks and crannies then used ball bearing grease on all the components before putting it all back together again. I made sure the sway bar end links were under load before tightening the nut down as well.

Debris and the need for a lubrication refresh was probably the culprit for the noise. It happens.

All is quiet and smooth now. Absolutely no suspension noise. Unfortunately, I consider this kind of cleaning an annual or bi-annual maintenance that is required; probably more often for people that live in snowy/rainy locations. I am considering getting some coilover socks to keep the debris out though.

Last edited by x.shell; 04-23-2018 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0