Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #67
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

The CF roof is a big part of the looks of the car, so I don't know how you can choose color without considering the CF roof (unless you're choosing the sunroof). From this perspective, I think the lighter colors like white, silver or YMB look better in combination with the roof then darker colors like black or MG.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #68
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The CF roof is a big part of the looks of the car, so I don't know how you can choose color without considering the CF roof (unless you're choosing the sunroof). From this perspective, I think the lighter colors like white, silver or YMB look better in combination with the roof then darker colors like black or MG.
I agree the CF roof looks better with the light colors and YMB, no doubt. I'm getting the CF roof no matter what, but I still really like BSM and MG a lot. A real lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #69
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I agree the CF roof looks better with the light colors and YMB, no doubt. I'm getting the CF roof no matter what, but I still really like BSM and MG a lot. A real lot.
Sometimes I don't even notice the cf roof on my MG bc it damn near perfectly blends into the paint color at first glance. Kinda sucks but oh well. The color of the car overall makes it worthwhile having.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #70
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Fascinating post.

I've looked at all the colors. I've had mineral white on a 95 328is and my current 2013 335is, black on my 98 M3 and blue on my 2002 M3.

My problem is that I'm not a huge fan of the limited selection of colors, even for 2016. I love Sakhir Orange, but it's too flashy. So I'm leaning to San Marino Blue with a SS interior. Tanzanite Blue looks fantastic in the sun, but is so so dark at other times.

As far as I can tell, there are only 2 San Marino's listed on Bimmerpost, and one is in Europe, so it should be eye catching!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #71
jfox335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M line 335i

BSM/SS is what I ended up with and I'm pretty happy with it. They were my 2/2 choices for standard ext/int choices respectively.

As for the rest AY - After about 6 months, this color would wear me out, it's too much. wife said it was the color of baby poop. That ended that convo Haha)

AW/MW - MW is ok but I just don't feel white on these cars. Takes away their masculine profile with the light alloy wheels. IMO(sorry) MW with black alloy is doable but still doesn't excite me.

MG-solid choice. Not much more to say, it's a close 3rd behind BSM.

SS - my least favorite color, just bores me to tears. I'd vinyl wrap an SS if I somehow ended up with one. I'd rather drive the baby poop colored M3.

YMB - the risky choice but the one I'd go with if I was feeling brave. I test drove a YMB, I could have lived with it.

To be honest, I'd have to go Individual if I was going to order. Azurite would be my first, second and third choices. It's totally worth the mark up but really should be a standard color. (Or Jerez or carbon black, why there is no midnight blue baffles me)

Interior, SS is good choice (unlike in E9x where it was the worst choice) SO is ok, Sonoma is snooze. Black is the best choice.
      06-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #72
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I thought the AY was terrible from the pictures I saw. saw it in person and absolutely fell in love. YMB is my least favorite in person. looks like the color of the sky. but it all comes down to personal taste. me, having SO, find myself loving that more than anything else. all the other colors though are very subtle and normal. I think with a car like an M3/4 it needs to be something to grab ones attention. don't be shy about the color. make it loud in every way!
      06-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #73
Steve1155
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o
If you haven't seen Yas Marina Blue in person, then I highly advise you to try to find one.

YMB was my favorite color at first while Austin Yellow was my least favorite. But then I saw them both in real life. Yas Marina Blue fell to the bottom of my list while Austin Yellow went straight to the top. The photos don't really do these colors justice... You have to see them in real life.
This is SO true. I was thinking Yas all the way, but wanted to see it in person in the nearly year round Texas sun. When I did, Yas was too metallic and "baby bluish" than it appears in some pics. It was not to my liking. AY which I had never considered suddenly caught my eye. If you, or someone you know knows how to detail paint, the depth you could get on AY would make someone want to jump into the paint and swim in it. Now I'm just trying to decide if it's too loud a color for me. Moral of the story; see the colors IN PERSON in full sun, cloudy weather and different times of the day before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #74
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

i feel like the MG roof will pop a lot more in person than in pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #75
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

I have a friend on mine who doesn't car what color his car is. But then, he's COLOR BLIND!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #76
smajin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Ended up going with MG, was convinced by pictures on the forum here.

Also was a fan of AY but couldn't find one to see in person and the wife wasn't too excited about it. If I was super patient I probably would have done individual San Marino and if they offered any darker blue I probably would have gone with that.
Appreciate 0