ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

01-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

People who lease shouldnt modify their cars, sorry to say

Its like taking your car rental in to get it detailed. If you have plans to do a lease to buy option then fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Why not? Lease or buy, you still finance the car (..and unless you paid cash, both the buyer and the leasee are in the exact same position.....in other words, the finance company still owns the car). The comparisons to a 'rental' are absurd.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Why not? Lease or buy, you still finance the car (..and unless you paid cash, both the buyer and the leasee are in the exact same position.....in other words, the finance company still owns the car). The comparisons to a 'rental' are absurd.
Absolutely not. If you don't own something free and clear what else do you call it? Lease is a fancy word for rent. It makes those who 'lease' a car feel better. Leasing a vehicle is for people who want to keep up with the Jones' but can't exactly do that, so they rent the car for a couple years. Nobody pounds their chest and declares to the world 'I leased it' lol. If you did that you'd hear 'oh....you leased it'...

Last edited by Randy M; 01-31-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Absolutely not. If you don't own something free and clear what else do you call it? Lease is a fancy word for rent. It makes those who 'lease' a car feel better. Leasing a vehicle is for people who want to keep up with the Jones' but can't exactly do that, so they rent the car for a couple years. Nobody pounds their chest and declares to the world 'I leased it' lol. If you did that you'd hear 'oh....you leased it'...

You don't own ANYTHING free and clear until it's paid off. That applies to the leasee and the buyer. A leasee can effectively 'buy' the car if he/she chooses to, but they can also walk away much easier if their needs change (..or they just desire to have a new car). You make a lot of baseless generalizations about people just because their priorities differ from yours. There exists no shame in leasing. In fact, most people lease and have no shame in admitting that, so I don't know where you garnered that ridiculous perspective from. Ever taken a look at the 'Financing/Deals' threads? Obviously not!

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 01-31-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R
Quote:
You sound so ignorant but maybe you never learned about finance in case that's not your fault. Does free cash flow ring a bell to you? Tax-Write off? Market value vs book value? Investments?

After doing some math you will realize that leasing is better decision even if you want to keep a car past lease-end

You don't have the option to buy your rental out when you're done with it either
      01-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You don't own ANYTHING free and clear until it's paid off. That applies to the leasee and the buyer. A leasee can effectively 'buy' the car if he/she chooses too, but they can also walk away much easier if their needs change. You make a lot of baseless generalizations. There exists no shame in leasing. In fact, most people lease and have no shame in admitting that.
They may appear to have no shame admitting that when they have to but the main reason why leasing exists is that it is a rental for those who could not purchase it or otherwise enjoy the car any other way.

The preceding is not baseless at all but rather merely fact for the vast majority of those who 'lease' lol...

Maybe I should go 'lease' a Lamborghini. Chicks will dig it...
      01-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:

You don't own ANYTHING free and clear until it's paid off. That applies to the leasee and the buyer. A leasee can effectively 'buy' the car if he/she chooses too, but they can also walk away much easier if their needs change (..or they just desire to have a new car). You make a lot of baseless generalizations about people just because their priorities differ from yours. There exists no shame in leasing. In fact, most people lease and have no shame in admitting that, so I don't know where you garnered that ridiculous perspective from. Ever taken a look at the 'Financing/Deals' threads? Obviously not!
+1000

If I had a ton of money I would still lease then buyout lol.
      01-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
They may appear to have no shame admitting that when they have to but the main reason why leasing exists is that it is a rental for those who could not purchase it or otherwise enjoy the car any other way.

The preceding is not baseless at all but rather merely fact for the vast majority of those who 'lease' lol...

Your scope on life (..and financing) is myopic.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your scope on life (..and financing) is myopic.
If that makes you feel better...
      01-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:

Yeah, that's not true at all. Leasing actually just makes a lot of sense if you only want to keep your car a few years.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
Yeah, that's not true at all. Leasing actually just makes a lot of sense if you only want to keep your car a few years.
That's called renting.
      01-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
That's called renting.
Ok! Let's approach this from another angle. If a person buys a car and sells it before it's paid off, didn't they effectively 'rent' the car too?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok! Let's approach this from another angle. If a person buys a car and sells it before it's paid off, didn't they effectively 'rent' the car too?
Yep. Leasing is effectively the same thing as financing a car. I can't even think of a better way to explain it because it is such a basic principle. If the argument is that leasing OR financing is like renting when you can't pay CASH for a car, then okay, that's a little more solid of an argument. Not the best financial decision since money is so cheap right now, but if people would rather pay $75k cash for a car instead of leasing or financing at an interest rate of 3%, they must either be really poor investors incapable of making more than 3% on that money or have so much money they don't give a fuck.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
That's called renting.
I never buy cars. They're depreciating assets.

After you buy the car and drive it off the lot - voila - your car has depreciated several thousand dollars already.

If someone clips you right after pulling off the lot, now your car's value has depreciated even further.

Where is the financial sense in that?

AMG and M cars are notorious for not holding their value. Buying these cars makes zero sense to me. But people can do whatever they want.

Now, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, buying makes sense. If you plan on the car being a toy or a weekend car, again, buying makes sense (because of lower mileage, less wear, etc.). If you're looking at a used car, buying is really the only option. Again, to each their own.

Me? I prefer to lease a car for a few years and get maximum enjoyment out if it. It is mine just the same as if I bought it during the lease period. Except I get the added benefit of handing it off after 36 months and getting into something newer and better.

Without ever, for one second, worrying about depreciation.

That is my two cents for ya.

Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Quote:
Uh oh, someone said the magic word "lease vs buy" LOL This topic is like bringing up religion or politics at the dinner table

People always get butt hurt when I bring it up but I stand on my belief that you don't own something unless you have the title. Otherwise you don't own it.

Where's my popcorn smiley?
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, they have (had) the title. They own(ed) the car. They didn't have to pay interest along the way, points, lease doc fees, etc. they own it and are not bound by any sort of contract.

And I already have a vehicle that I write off through business. Cash flow is not an issue, nor are investments when I purchase anything. I make sure I can afford something without having to juggle whether or not it'll fit in my monthly nut or I don't buy it. Call me conservative. No I don't go to Vegas either.

Listen, I didn't mean to piss in anyone's cheerios. If leasing works for you then that's great. But leasing is in fact renting, just call it what it is and we'll be ok.
      01-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
No, they have (had) the title. They own(ed) the car. They didn't have to pay interest along the way, points, lease doc fees, etc. they own it and are not bound by any sort of contract.

And I already have a vehicle that I write off through business. Cash flow is not an issue, nor are investments when I purchase anything. I make sure I can afford something without having to juggle whether or not it'll fit in my monthly nut or I don't buy it. Call me conservative. No I don't go to Vegas either.

Listen, I didn't mean to piss in anyone's cheerios. If leasing works for you then that's great. But leasing is in fact renting, just call it what it is and we'll be ok.
For somebody seemingly successful enough to purchase a GT3, you are one daft dude. A person who finances as car does not have a title unless they paid cash for that car (..hence my example and specific reference to them 'buying and selling BEFORE the car was paid off'). I'm not referring to cash payees.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Financing is as much renting as leasing, but okay, let's move on.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:

Yep and let's leave it there. If you prefer to buy, that's awesome! That is absolutely your prerogative.

But the fact is that, from an investment standpoint, buying a run-of-the-mill, mass-produced car (like an M3) is not the wisest financial investment.

Investing in anything that depreciates thousands of dollars fifteen minutes after your purchase it, thousands of dollars if it's damaged (however slight the damage is), and then thousands of dollars a year every subsequent year after purchase, is a questionable investment, at best.

But PLEASE, can we move on.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #20
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For somebody seemingly successful enough to purchase a GT3, you are one daft dude. A person who finances as car does not have a title unless they paid cash for that car
Yes I'm aware of that lol.

Many of the opinions here are indicative of the mess this nation got into with sub prime mess. Someone questioned my investment prowess or the lack thereof. Nobody know what's going to happen. Go ahead and lease that car, and get laid off a few months later. Go ahead and finance that car thinking you're going to make a killing in the market with the money you chose to hold onto, then watch the market tank. Everything is so volatile right now and has been for years. Everyone is smarty pants when things are going well, until its not.
      01-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #21
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

Many of the opinions here are indicative of the mess this nation got into with sub prime mess. Someone questioned my investment prowess or the lack thereof. Nobody know what's going to happen. Go ahead and lease that car, and get laid off a few months later. Go ahead and finance that car thinking you're going to make a killing in the market with the money you chose to hold onto, then watch the market tank. Everything is so volatile right now and has been for years. Everyone is smarty pants when things are going well, until its not.
Fair point! if only 8% CDs were still around
      01-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

So what is your argument since you've gone off on some economically impotent tangential rant? Are we talking about the state of the economy or your ridiculous assertion that financing options - be it a lease or a buy - are so vastly different when they are, in reality, more or less the same, just with different terms?

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 01-31-2014 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread