BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

07-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Moving to Los Angeles

I am planning on moving from Boston to LA(potentially), already got the job offer just need to decide if I want to accept it or not. Hoping to get some insight from some locals about my car and what I would need to get removed to pass smog in Cali.

I have cold air intakes which is encased, catless downpipes, awe exhaust, and well as kw v3s. From what I am understanding the only think I would really have to do is swap back my cats and flash the stock tune so the monitors are all ready.

I got by in MA using the defouler/spacer at the o2 bung but I feel it is much more risky to do in Cali. In MA we can get away with two not ready monitors one being the cat and the space would delay the check engine light. So my other question is would high flow cats pass? Visual inspection would fail but I am reading that places don't do visual or sniff anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
lvevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Evo 9, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz_diesel View Post
I am planning on moving from Boston to LA(potentially), already got the job offer just need to decide if I want to accept it or not. Hoping to get some insight from some locals about my car and what I would need to get removed to pass smog in Cali.

I have cold air intakes which is encased, catless downpipes, awe exhaust, and well as kw v3s. From what I am understanding the only think I would really have to do is swap back my cats and flash the stock tune so the monitors are all ready.

I got by in MA using the defouler/spacer at the o2 bung but I feel it is much more risky to do in Cali. In MA we can get away with two not ready monitors one being the cat and the space would delay the check engine light. So my other question is would high flow cats pass? Visual inspection would fail but I am reading that places don't do visual or sniff anymore.
If it was my car I would install the stock intakes so that the smog tech would have no reason to check the downpipes if you plan on leaving the aftermarket one on. It is a hit or miss regarding visual inspection.

Regarding the highflow cats, I'm sure the cats will not pollute excessive, but if it doesn't have a CARB number approval, then it will not pass. As far as tunes, we aren't really sure what will pass now that all cars will be checked for tunes during the smog check.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1841786
      07-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Just put the stock cats back on, flash back to stock and drive around for a while. Do this in ample preparation as they send the registration renewals months before its actually due.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvevo View Post
If it was my car I would install the stock intakes so that the smog tech would have no reason to check the downpipes if you plan on leaving the aftermarket one on. It is a hit or miss regarding visual inspection.

Regarding the highflow cats, I'm sure the cats will not pollute excessive, but if it doesn't have a CARB number approval, then it will not pass. As far as tunes, we aren't really sure what will pass now that all cars will be checked for tunes during the smog check.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1841786
Yeah I've been reading up and down that post. Really even intakes will cause some shops to raise some concern? It literally just a CF housing, I use the same K&N fillter.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Just put the stock cats back on, flash back to stock and drive around for a while. Do this in ample preparation as they send the registration renewals months before its actually due.
Had every intention of going back to stock and flashing it prior but wasn't sure if it was worth getting high flows since they don't or should not throw codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 05:53 PM   #6
CarlieCameron
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey, I stumbled upon this old thread and wanted to chime in on your question about smog requirements for cars in LA. From what I've heard from my friends who live there, the requirements can be pretty strict. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to do to pass smog, but it might be a good idea to double-check with a local mechanic or DMV office just to be sure. As for your question about high flow cats, I'm not too sure if they would pass or not. It's probably best to ask a local expert about that. By the way, if you're still planning on moving from Boston to LA, have you thought about hiring boston to new york movers (for example) to help with the move? It can make things a lot easier and less stressful. Anyway, good luck, man. LMK how it's going!

Last edited by CarlieCameron; 05-26-2023 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 06:43 PM   #7
Dking078
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlieCameron View Post
Hey, I stumbled upon this old thread and wanted to chime in on your question about smog requirements for cars in LA. From what I've heard from my friends who live there, the requirements can be pretty strict. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to do to pass smog, but it might be a good idea to double-check with a local mechanic or DMV office just to be sure.
Basically... If your are modded / tuned in ANY way that is engine related and it doesn't have a CARB sticker. Go back to stock and pass.

Or know someone / someplace that know somethings that costs money in places you'd rather not go to make it pass with little questions asked.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2023, 11:50 AM   #8
petar7408
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

why would you move to california! If youre not from here, its not worth it- it is becoming a 3rd world. I was born here so my friends and all that are here but I would really love to leave if I could. The weather, mountain drives and all the other good stuff is what keeps me here which is a huge plus but starting from scratch?? Don't do it as sad as it pains me to say it
Appreciate 2
Tangent297.50
      06-12-2023, 12:28 PM   #9
KnockTsuKow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

U sure u wanna move here and where in CA? I am tryan get out and been here 13 yrs from NY LOL hahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #10
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by petar7408 View Post
why would you move to california! If youre not from here, its not worth it- it is becoming a 3rd world.
Would the last one leaving California please turn the lights out!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 04:21 PM   #11
JK READY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Hey op, I smogged by 2014 last year and I had to swap my intake, catless downpipes and flash back to stock. After reinstalling og parts and flashing, you need to drive around couple of miles so it doesn't alert the O2 sensor when they're performing the emission test. As others have mention, the visual is a hit or miss but they'll definitely check the intake (They didn't catch my charge pipe). My first shop said to remove the aftermarket intake. This is in San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 10:23 AM   #12
kfresh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F83 ZCP & G05 X5

Dont do it! But if you do, definitely dont live in the city.

2022 G05 X5 sDrive 40i Carbon Black ///M Sports Package
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 09:04 AM   #13
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockTsuKow View Post
U sure u wanna move here and where in CA? I am tryan get out and been here 13 yrs from NY LOL hahaha
Let me know if you need to sell your house! Will hook you up with forum member rates lol