BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #45
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

I'm going to remove the shoulder bolt today and inspect it and the bushings at the clevis mount location as eggrolls76 mentioned - could be getting some movement there. Will see if I can buy a replacement at an auto parts store or home depot and replace it, may torque it down a little tighter and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #46
eggrolls76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F80 M3

I haven't been able to get under the car and send the video in just yet. I have been swamped at work. Im looking at probably next weekend to get it on a lift and take the video and send it to them. The tech's name is Wyatt Gilbert, he actually called me back within 24 hours of me sending them an email.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #47
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

@Racer20
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #48
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One of the lower bushings had to be sort of forced into the spherical
bearing when I installed these last year. It rotates with the bearing
, so I wonder if it could be causing a bind? I'm trying to remove it with
some PB blaster and light tapping on the other side. Figured if I can get
it out, I'd flip the damper so that the adjustment knob is in the clevis
mount and see if that makes any difference
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #49
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I managed to get the bushing out. MCS is sending me new bushings, bearings and a shoulder bolt for the clevis mount. Will get those installed tomorrow. If that doesn't solve the issue, my chassis ears just arrived, so I can use those to attack it again
Appreciate 2
      05-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #50
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Boom, figured it out! Sort of. So, I'm waiting on new bushings and bearings for the MCS damper at the passenger rear where the noise has been...

Today, I threw the wheel back on, and took a ride around the block wth the damper removed completely. No noise!

So, bearings and bushings come in tomorrow. Will reinstall and give it a test. At least it's been narrowed down to the damper, and associated mount locations.
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #51
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As previously mentioned by another member, there was a theory that if the bushings for the lower damper mount are possibly to long, once torqued down in that location, it will not allow to properly torque down the camber bearing bolt, thus creating a potential knocking there. So it is possible that the damper being removed allowed that specific camber bearing to remain tight. The damper slid out of the mounts easily though, so I don't believe that the bushings were out of tolerance creating enough space do make noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #52
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Problem solved. It seems to have been one of the bushings that came along with the dampers - I had to force it in (on second thought I should have been more patient and asked for a replacement) it was bound up from the start and I believe it is what led to the noise. New bushings, bearing on that one damper, re-installed and it's all good
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #53
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalsMan View Post
Problem solved. It seems to have been one of the bushings that came along with the dampers - I had to force it in (on second thought I should have been more patient and asked for a replacement) it was bound up from the start and I believe it is what led to the noise. New bushings, bearing on that one damper, re-installed and it's all good
Awesome, congrats

That's gotta be a good feeling
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #54
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No doubt! Doesn't seem to happen often enough! Always seems to be something you can't figure out!

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 09:05 PM   #55
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
No doubt! Doesn't seem to happen often enough! Always seems to be something you can't figure out!

Thanks
Glad you were able to figure out the issue but also thank you (and other forum members) for posting your detailed troubleshooting journey as I'm sure it will help others down the line if/when these kinds of issues occurs. I know I rely heavily on the experience of others as I try to figure out my issues and glad to see other members proactively jumping in and trying to help.
Appreciate 1
x.shell6578.50
      05-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #56
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Fantastic! It's great you got it figured out. From what I've read, you're not the first to have this gremlin come visit them -- but you're the first I've read that has definitively figured it out. Congrats and enjoy!
Appreciate 0