R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Premiums aren't charged to cover cost but to create an exclusive service to exclusive clientele.
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, here, but, at it's beginnings, the individual color thing scared the manufacturer and the dealers. What they feared was: a customer ordering a preposterous color and when the car shows up the customer likely coming to the same conclusion and ,so, declines accepting the car. That, of course, leaves the dealer/manufacturer holding the bag. You do this enough and you start to loose lots of money.
To separate the customer from his desire for individual color, BMW instituted some ridiculous cost for individual paint, $5,000. What they soon discovered, however, was lot's customer were willing to pay the absurd amount - and they kept the cars! Then the light went on at BMW - "Let's make money on this thing." Voila - the individual paint program. The only thing left for them to do was to create plausible fictions about why it costs so much. Which is what the dealers, when asked, provide.
Profit, not exclusivity, is what its all about.
IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #24
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, here, but, at it's beginnings, the individual color thing scared the manufacturer and the dealers. What they feared was: a customer ordering a preposterous color and when the car shows up the customer likely coming to the same conclusion and ,so, declines accepting the car. That, of course, leaves the dealer/manufacturer holding the bag. You do this enough and you start to loose lots of money.
To separate the customer from his desire for individual color, BMW instituted some ridiculous cost for individual paint, $5,000. What they soon discovered, however, was lot's customer were willing to pay the absurd amount - and they kept the cars! Then the light went on at BMW - "Let's make money on this thing." Voila - the individual paint program. The only thing left for them to do was to create plausible fictions about why it costs so much. Which is what the dealers, when asked, provide.
Profit, not exclusivity, is what its all about.
IMO
This is why every individual request has to pass the approval of a uber cool german fashionista, with red glasses, to ensure their car won't be made fun of at any of the meets. There have been no instances (on this forum at least) of an unsatisfied BMW Individual client, except for one instance where a customer ordered an Atlantic Blue M3 and received an Atlantis Blue instead. In that case BMW were honorable enough to give the client the "wrong" M3 while they rebuilt the new car the right color.

$5000 compared to a 85K car is not by any means unreasonable to have something unique. I actually think it isn't enough, Lamborghini charges $15k+ for this, but they do throw in a pair of matching hand made loafers! No, it is not profit or greed, its exclusivity. Profit and greed is having to spend $4300 on an executive pack when all I am looking for is satilite radio.

But we all know where you are coming from bro…

Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #25
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
But we all know where you are coming from bro…
I apologize if I came across as angry. I'm not.
I, actually, came close to getting my E92 painted an individual color, Blue Water Metallic. I loved that color on my e39. Good thing I didn't do it because, ultimately, I found LMB to be even better looking.
Care to reveal the color you are leaning towards?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman
Quote:
But we all know where you are coming from bro
I apologize if I came across as angry. I'm not.
I, actually, came close to getting my E92 painted an individual color, Blue Water Metallic. I loved that color on my e39. Good thing I didn't do it because, ultimately, I found LMB to be even better looking.
Care to reveal the color you are leaning towards?
I hear what you're saying man. LMB is one of my favorite but I decided on something on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'll post more info as I hear word for the factory.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #27
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I ordered one two weeks ago as a week 39 build. I then changed to tanzanite blue. My order actually moved up to week 38. So ordering individual did not change my delivery.
      08-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #28
chaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Audi S6 2007, Future F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinemavrik View Post
Thinking about ordering a Tanzanite Blue M3 and I just wanted to know how much longer production takes compared to a regular paint.
I have a Tanzanite Blue M3 scheduled for week 33.

Does anyone else know their Tanzanite Blue M3 production week?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #29
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I was quoted $7,200 and an additional 8-12 weeks build time, for a non BMW color.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #30
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

I'm week 40 - but changed from BSM to Tanzanite Blue once I found out my car was delayed from week 25 to week 40 due to CCB shortage. Since there was a gap I was able to change my color to TZB - didn't add any delay since the CCBs already did that.

Although - now wondering if I can get some of the M Performance Parts done at the VPC and included with my total purchase - ie the diffuser or performance exhaust.

Seen either September or November timetables for availability since the parts were unveiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaver View Post
I have a Tanzanite Blue M3 scheduled for week 33.

Does anyone else know their Tanzanite Blue M3 production week?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #31
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

For those who ordered with individual color, did you see that color (or a mention of it) when adding your BMW to our BMWUSA profile? Mine does not show the color I chose and just shows Mineral White.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #32
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfl View Post
For those who ordered with individual color, did you see that color (or a mention of it) when adding your BMW to our BMWUSA profile? Mine does not show the color I chose and just shows Mineral White.
It will not show the correct color for your individual build. It should show up on your dealer's status check though.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #33
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
It will not show the correct color for your individual build. It should show up on your dealer's status check though.
So on BMWUSA profile, shouldn't it show up at least with no color? My issue is that when I called BMWUSA now, they have no indication of my color and show Mineral White as well. I can't get a hold of the dealer (Been calling, texting and emailing them).

Shouldn't BMWUSA at some point be able to see the color (My color)? This is what I see online now:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #34
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
My tanzanite did, maybe cause it was "semi" color. AT first it was YMB as that was the allocated build. but once production approved and prod date, it changed to blue.

Quote:
yes, see above. i suspect in a few weeks if you did Tanzanite it will change.
      02-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #35
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So on BMWUSA profile, shouldn't it show up at least with no color? My issue is that when I called BMWUSA now, they have no indication of my color and show Mineral White as well. I can't get a hold of the dealer (Been calling, texting and emailing them).

Shouldn't BMWUSA at some point be able to see the color (My color)? This is what I see online now:
Your dealer should be able to check the status and it should show the correct color for their screens. It may need to go into a certain status, i.e.. production number assigned or something like that first though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
My tanzanite did, maybe cause it was "semi" color. AT first it was YMB as that was the allocated build. but once production approved and prod date, it changed to blue.

yes, see above. i suspect in a few weeks if you did Tanzanite it will change.
That is good news. My color is a true individual color and it will not show up on the BMWUSA website at all. This has been true for my previous Brilliant White E90 M3 and my current F80 M3 that is currently in production.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #36
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I do have a production number, and this is how I am able to add it to my BMWUSA profile. My issue is that BMWUSA said "If the car goes into production, there is no going back on the paint color" and they don't show anything about my individual color.

I understand that this may just be a non-issue as their system is not updated but because I can't get a hold of my dealer, I'm worried it goes into production w/ wrong color.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #37
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I do have a production number, and this is how I am able to add it to my BMWUSA profile. My issue is that BMWUSA said "If the car goes into production, there is no going back on the paint color" and they don't show anything about my individual color.

I understand that this may just be a non-issue as their system is not updated but because I can't get a hold of my dealer, I'm worried it goes into production w/ wrong color.
It is your dealer's responsibility to confirm your order for you and they should be able to confirm the correct color is on the order. If your SA cannot help you then work our way up the chain a the dealer.

PM me your production number and I'll have my guy check for you if you want.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #38
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is your dealer's responsibility to confirm your order for you and they should be able to confirm the correct color is on the order. If your SA cannot help you then work our way up the chain a the dealer.

PM me your production number and I'll have my guy check for you if you want.

Sending you my prod number now. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0