Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
mapexvenus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 m40i

Update my Nav software

I bought Nav updates from my BMW dealers parts dept and the updates are not being recognized when I insert the stick into the USB port. The dealer then ordered another version and that didn't work either. I have a strange feeling that my dealer doesn't have a clue what version my car needs. I know that my USB port works because I am able to play MP3's and also connect to my iPhone and use the Spotify and Pandora apps via connected drive.

Does anyone know how I can find the right Nav update for my 2016 M4 Coupe and just buy and download it?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

You bought a map update from you dealer? The MY2016 cars get free map updates, over the air.

Get a refund, ASAP.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You bought a map update from you dealer? The MY2016 cars get free map updates, over the air.

Get a refund, ASAP.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
The OTA Map Updates are only your local region (which for me is only Texas). To get the rest of the regions I believe you need to purchase the full update.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
The OTA Map Updates are only your local region (which for me is only Texas). To get the rest of the regions I believe you need to purchase the full update.
I'm in Texas too. When there is an update available, you can pick your states (regions?) that you want the system to download.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Texas too. When there is an update available, you can pick your states (regions?) that you want the system to download.
I had to log into BMW ConnectedDrive (connecteddrive.bmwusa.com) and in there select my region.

Also, I think this is M3 only - he's got an M4. Could be wrong, but your link mentioned this OTA updates for the M3, but not the M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had to log into BMW ConnectedDrive (connecteddrive.bmwusa.com) and in there select my region.

Also, I think this is M3 only - he's got an M4. Could be wrong, but your link mentioned this OTA updates for the M3, but not the M4.
MY2016 M3 & M4 have the same behavior.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
StephPT
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 2015

Hi! What a coincidence!

I just updated the maps today on my M4!

So basically, if you register your car on the bmw Connected Drive Portal, now with the new web-design (at least in EU is a new one ) you are able to download a software called BMW Update Manager. In addition to it, you must download a file that is also present in the website. That file (extension .bmwm) contains the map information for your car!

As so, once you install the BMW Update Manager, you double click that file and it will start to download the new maps.

For me, EUROPE 2016-2 was around 24gb!

Once the software finishes to download, it asks you for a USB key. Once you put the USB key, it will start to extract the maps inside the USB.

After the extraction is complete, you plug in the USB in the car and automatically you will receive a message saying something like "new maps available, do you want to update?" and you hit yes! and it will do it. For me the whole update process took around 30m.

For your issue, did you try to connect it to the USB on the gloves compartment? Perhaps it does something different!

Hope it helped.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephPT View Post
Hi! What a coincidence!

I just updated the maps today on my M4!

So basically, if you register your car on the bmw Connected Drive Portal, now with the new web-design (at least in EU is a new one ) you are able to download a software called BMW Update Manager. In addition to it, you must download a file that is also present in the website. That file (extension .bmwm) contains the map information for your car!

As so, once you install the BMW Update Manager, you double click that file and it will start to download the new maps.

For me, EUROPE 2016-2 was around 24gb!

Once the software finishes to download, it asks you for a USB key. Once you put the USB key, it will start to extract the maps inside the USB.

After the extraction is complete, you plug in the USB in the car and automatically you will receive a message saying something like "new maps available, do you want to update?" and you hit yes! and it will do it. For me the whole update process took around 30m.

For your issue, did you try to connect it to the USB on the gloves compartment? Perhaps it does something different!

Hope it helped.

Thanks
I think we're talking about two different scenarios. For MY2016 M3 & M4, BMW provides 3 years of over-the-air map updates, 4x/year. There is no USB involved. This scenario is applicable to the USA, other countries I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think we're talking about two different scenarios. For MY2016 M3 & M4, BMW provides 3 years of over-the-air map updates, 4x/year. There is no USB involved. This scenario is applicable to the USA, other countries I don't know.
You still need USB updates if you want to update the full maps - the over the air updates only update 1 region.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You still need USB updates if you want to update the full maps - the over the air updates only update 1 region.
You sure about that? I remember being able to pick more than one region/state.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You sure about that? I remember being able to pick more than one region/state.
Where could you pick more than one? My ConnectedDrive account only allows me to pick one, and all the FAQs state it only updates one region over the air.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
Tobes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 SO/BL

Quote:
Where could you pick more than one? My ConnectedDrive account only allows me to pick one, and all the FAQs state it only updates one region over the air.
Agree that i was only able to select one region. I live in an area that borders two regions. I found that I select one of the regions and let that one update....Then I go in and select the other. I end up with both updates. Wish there were a better way to get multiple regions to update. This method takes way too much time and is a pain in the butt.
      09-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #13
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

Meanwhile my BMW dealer hasn't figured out how to updated maps on my 2016 M4 (North America).

Can I just buy the thing online from BMW and install it myself?

Last edited by mapexvenus; 09-02-2016 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #14
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus
Meanwhile my BMW dealer hasn't figured out how to updated maps on my 2016 M4 (North America).

Cam I just buy the thing online from BMW and install it myself?
Scroll a few threads down and hit up baccus. Way cheaper than the dealer/bmw
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

This is the version of maps on my car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
This is the version of maps on my car.
Automatic map updates. You don't pay.

Also, go to www.connecteddrive.bmwusa.com and make sure you have a region set.
Attached Images

Last edited by SamS; 09-05-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #17
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Automatic map updates. You don't pay.

Also, go to www.connecteddrive.bmwusa.com and make sure you have a region set.
So how do we pick more than one region/state? Seems you only have Texas selected - you can't select more than one can you?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So how do we pick more than one region/state? Seems you only have Texas selected - you can't select more than one can you?
There is an FAQ on the site which seems to imply you can only pick one region. However, it remains to be seen if you pick one region (i.e. Texas) for one quarterly update, then switch to another region, if it will keep your previously-updated region, while also updating a second region. That way you could alternate updates between a handful of regions. I suppose someone would have to find an update where they can pinpoint an exact change between one update and the next, then try my strategy above, then check afterwards.
Appreciate 0