EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #45
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMLaw View Post
Thank you for your post. I completely understand what you mean and I definitely agree that it comes down to previous experience and expectations. I hope for my own sake (believe me, I'm not rich by any means and affording this car was a slight sacrifice) I won't be disappointed by it since I don't know any better lol (lack of experience).

I would love to hear your review of the Bavsound though.. can't wait until you get yours!

Great post. Slightly makes me feel better as well lol. Are you going to install it yourself or have a shop do it? Please post up some videos if possible of the sound or a review on the system itself!
Will do, it will be interesting to see what a few of us think about installing the same upgrade.

Rich or not, it still sucks to have to do stuff like this. Especially on a car that costs as much as these do. I really wish BMW had another up grade over the HK like they do for the 5 series and up.

Congrats on the car! Be careful how much you read in to what is said on these forums and try not let it affect the enjoyment of your car. While there is a ton of great info there is also a bunch of whiny bitches on the forums that love to complain about everything.

Not to answer for JNoSol, but I plan to do it myself. I've done it on other cars not nearly as nice as these ones, but it looks pretty straight forward. I bought the install kit/sound deadening and the instructional videos look to be very helpful.

Last edited by minn19; 12-18-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #46
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Just received my BavSound today and completed the install in my garage. It took me 2.5hrs, it would be more like 1:45 but I'm OCD and I forgot a step. It will take longer if you have HK, I just have Hi-Fi = Only 7 speakers to replace.

Here are my install tips to save you the headache and re-work:
  1. Remember to connect the filter cable to the tweeter (see cable photo). I forgot on the first run, so I had to re-do the front doors which is why it took me over 2hrs total.
  2. Center speaker: Remove the rubber ring around the magnet or it will not fit. You'll need the spacer that comes with it. Don't over tighten the screw or you'll strip it.
  3. On the doors, no need to remove the window switch (despite what the youtube vid says). Leave it on and let the door hang or sit on a box. This will save you lots of time. On the trim piece that covers the screws to remove the door, there's a gap on the bottom side for you to use the wedge to pop it out.
  4. Use a piece of paper to map out the cutout of the sound deadening material. Mirror it for the opposite side to save time.
  5. Watch the YouTube vid before the install so you'll get the big picture.

Review: I don't claim to be an audiophile, but I do love music and good sounding system. I picked my M3, didn't even test the sound system during the test drive. When I got it home, I realized I have the hi-fi (standard) sound system. The bass was flat, the tweeter was tiring, and the mid had no life. I was very depressed that this BMW had the worst sound system I've ever own (this would be my 6th BMW in 5yrs). I did my research and found BavSound. I pulled the trigger and waited until now.

After the install, I had 3 songs I wanted to play at 90% volume. Leather So Soft (I wanted to hear the tight bass), Your Heart Will Go On (Gay, I know, but I wanted to hear the best vocal and treble instrument), and This Girl is on Fire (I wanted to hear big bass and tight snares).

I really can't believe just replacing the speakers can make that big of a difference. I know the review were all consistent, that's why I bought BavSound but hearing it in person is another story. The vocal is crystal clear, the snares are sharp, the bass go from tight to big sound. I now feel like this car's sound is just as good as the E90 with HK system, if not better. And yes, it is at least 40% louder (I can hear the bass from the outside of teh car).

Overall. I'm really glad I bought BavSound Stage 1. The service was good and the product is a great as they claimed.

Good luck with your installs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #47
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Very nice JNoSol! Glad you like it. Makes me look forward to getting mine in the car that much more.

How bad was the Center Channel to do? That is the only one I'm worried about doing. I can easily see myself dropping a screw in to the dash.

Those OEM speakers are pathetic looking.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #48
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Center channel wasn't hard, just use the tool kit they give, the screws stay attached to the screwdriver/wrench pretty well. Just don't be careless is all.
      12-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #49
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Center channel wasn't hard, just use the tool kit they give, the screws stay attached to the screwdriver/wrench pretty well. Just don't be careless is all.
Nice, thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #50
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Very nice JNoSol! Glad you like it. Makes me look forward to getting mine in the car that much more.

How bad was the Center Channel to do? That is the only one I'm worried about doing. I can easily see myself dropping a screw in to the dash.

Easy with the tool. I do recommend getting longer screws from the hardware store, the OEM ones are a bit short with that spacer. It'll work, but I would like a screw that's 1/4" longer. I sent BavSound this feedback as well.

Also, don't be gentle when ripping panels off. Just use force, nothing will break.

I only used the following tools: Plastic ply tool, 25 torx, 20 torx, and ratchet for center speaker.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #51
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Do you have the specs for the factory screw on the center channel? I have my bavsound on order and it would be nice not to have to stop midway.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #52
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
Do you have the specs for the factory screw on the center channel? I have my bavsound on order and it would be nice not to have to stop midway.
I believe it's 4x14mm - 20 torx. Go 1/4" longer, 3qty.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #53
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I believe it's 4x14mm - 20 torx. Go 1/4" longer, 3qty.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #54
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post

Just take a magnet to the tool you are going to use. Rub it in the same direction several times. This should align the electrons and thus make it magnetic. I'm going to assume the screws are
Ferrous.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #55
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Nice!! Got a quote from a shop they want $120 for the job so I may just do it myself haha or allow them to. Looks good though JNoSol!

Instagram: YMB_F80
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #56
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

I would seriously enjoy doing DYI upgrades like this. I saw the video replacing the stock kit but I wants to see how different it is compared to the HK system. The comparison for the tweeters on the stock vs Bav's was comical. Seriously, for a car of this price I would expect better effort. It makes me wonder though if its just cheaper to buy Bav stage one kit and get the missing components seperately. Additionally how much of a differences the two Bav setups are. Would like to see video comparison for the sound but hard to do for obvious reasons.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #57
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The difference between HK and Hi-Fi is just separate tweeters. The door panels, rear panels, and center channel still have to be removed, you just do twice as many speakers (mid plus tweeter vs just mid with coaxial tweeter). So it's actually not much more work for the HK.

Anyways, if anyone is in the SoCal area and wants to drive to Oceanside, I can do your install for you. $120 from a shop is ridiculous. I'll do it for the conversation.
      12-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #58
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
The difference between HK and Hi-Fi is just separate tweeters. The door panels, rear panels, and center channel still have to be removed, you just do twice as many speakers (mid plus tweeter vs just mid with coaxial tweeter). So it's actually not much more work for the HK.

Anyways, if anyone is in the SoCal area and wants to drive to Oceanside, I can do your install for you. $120 from a shop is ridiculous. I'll do it for the conversation.
This is what I'm talking about, a true car guy. $120 is ridiculous, do this yourself and you'll appreciate your car even more. I would do this for a nice bottle of Bourbon, drive to KC if you're not close to SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #59
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade View Post
I would seriously enjoy doing DYI upgrades like this. I saw the video replacing the stock kit but I wants to see how different it is compared to the HK system. The comparison for the tweeters on the stock vs Bav's was comical. Seriously, for a car of this price I would expect better effort. It makes me wonder though if its just cheaper to buy Bav stage one kit and get the missing components seperately. Additionally how much of a differences the two Bav setups are. Would like to see video comparison for the sound but hard to do for obvious reasons.
Go with Stage 1 only for your HK system. I promise you won't need amp or anything else. BavSound is working on a sub for our car, which can be added later. I should be out next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #60
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorwu120 View Post
Nice!! Got a quote from a shop they want $120 for the job so I may just do it myself haha or allow them to. Looks good though JNoSol!
Thanks bro. PM me if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #61
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
@JNoSol I think you should put your install as a separate thread so that it is easily found by those of us without HK. I am seriously considering this. My fear is that when I put everything back together, I'll get squeaks and rattles. Any issues with that?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #62
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
@JNoSol I think you should put your install as a separate thread so that it is easily found by those of us without HK. I am seriously considering this. My fear is that when I put everything back together, I'll get squeaks and rattles. Any issues with that?
Good point on the thread, lol. No squeak and rattle. Just pop everything back in the same order you remove them, and you should be fine. Watch the YouTube vid, it's very helpful for HK and hifi
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #63
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
This is part of the reason I decided to buy the HK upgrade. I have a couple of drivers door rattles and am going to see if I can do something about them with the install kit and sound deadening.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #64
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

I am on the fence with upgrading the HK system in my M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #65
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
Do eeeet.... http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1063804
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #66
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
If, after everything I and others have said, you are still on the fence, then I don't think there is anything else to say to convince you.