Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-27-2016, 04:00 AM   #45
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM3 View Post
First thing, I work in the field as well. I have dealt with many sales people, mechanics etc that "think" they know about cars, but cannot even change their own oil. So we will leave it at that. Even some of the techs I would not let change a tire, let alone give me advice on performance stuff

Moving along......

Next, like mentioned, the DME has no way to tell Ethanol content since it does not run an Ethanol sensor.

Your story makes no sense. So you are saying, this software update causes the car to go into limp mode with E85 correct? Then you said there are cars "at the dealer" being diagnosed because they are setting a limp mode because of E85. Why would someone bring their car to the dealer that is running E85 and mods to be diagnosed under WARRANTY by BMW? It is not BMW's problem......

Since you have this "close friend" that is telling you this in the dealer. What exact codes are these cars setting? Surely since this is so common at this particular dealer, your "close friend" can tell you the exact fault code # and description. Heck maybe he can even send you a screen shot from a cell phone pic. I am interested to see the exact code.

To me it just seems like a mere coincidence. Either a tuning issue, E85 mixture issue etc.

There is no software update that is changing anything, trust me on that.

Lastly, I poked around through your old threads. I just do not think I can trust the credibility of anyone who installed a JB4 on their vehicle and left 1 MAF plug disconnected for 6 months and have zero issues. Then all of a sudden have a problem. It seems like you may not be exactly knowledgeable about this stuff. Maybe whatever your "close friend" told you, you took it the wrong way and got lost in translation somewhere. Remember that game of "Telephone" you played when you were a child? I think that is what is going on here......
Quote:
I am not being an asshole, I can just see through the bullshit.

So you had a problem with E85 before the update correct? So OBVIOUSLY the problem is not that BMW made some software to prevent you from using E85 because this was happening BEFORE the update. Clearly the issue lies somewhere else. Why did you close friend at the dealer feel the need to update your software when you had E85 troubles? None of this makes any sense.

Just because somebody told you something, does not mean it is true. There is alot of false information passed around the forums daily. And clearly, sorry you are taking offense to it, but you are not very knowledgeable about this stuff. You are just going off what someone told you. Like I said, you drove around for 6 months with a MAF unplugged. C'mon now.

Like I said. If this is such a close friend to you. How about you get the details on what codes these cars are setting after the update when running E85 mixtures. Its not hard to take a cell phone pic and send it to you? Instead of just posting hearsay and stirring up a $hit storm on the forums. Lets see some proof...... Is that too much to ask for? Surely since these guys have seen it a bunch of times, you can get some solid proof instead of just blabbing rumors on the forum and then we can have a real conversation.

My bet is, there is another problem with the car. Problem with the tuning software, something no connected correctly(its already happened), incorrect settings in the tuning software or improper mixture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
BMS reported finding a injector IPW hard cap in the new B58 engine logic. Would be easy for BMW to add this logic to the S55 if they wanted. Not seen any proof they have though. For the B58 meth is the current work around.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
You can run small mixtures but run in to an issue with the DME leaning out since the volume of fuel you can inject is fixed (capped). That motor makes around 330whp stock and this cap kicks in around 380-400whp on normal fuel. If you start adding E85 the amount of power you can make drops proportionally. Until you add meth. Then its a beast.

Mike
YasM3 Still able to see through the "bullshit" that the OP posted?

Tuners have discovered that BMW have introduced a IPW hard cap that means running E85 doesn't work anymore... So the principle of what the OP was told is certainly true, namely that software can be used to stop using E85 for instance

As regards the S55 software update, we still don't have any more evidence to that of course. That could still be the dealer confusing the B58 and S55 software, but I wouldn't be surprised if BMW introduced this IPW hard cap in other cars as well. Both in order to stop E85 useage but probably mostly to stop the use of piggybacks to increase power over a certain level, as explained above by Mike.

Last edited by Boss330; 11-27-2016 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bestia64.50
      11-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #46
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

I currently had my DME updated to the latest firmware with ISTA before flash tuning and with the JB4 staked with Fuel It E85 port kit I had no issues running my motor with more then half tank E85.
My update was done 2 months ago to be exact.
Don't know if this pertains to it, just throwing it out there
Appreciate 1
Bestia64.50
      11-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #47
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
I currently had my DME updated to the latest firmware with ISTA before flash tuning and with the JB4 staked with Fuel It E85 port kit I had no issues running my motor with more then half tank E85.
My update was done 2 months ago to be exact.
Don't know if this pertains to it, just throwing it out there
Not sure when the update did come out/will come out. The people that told me said they won't get that info.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #48
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

So far there are no significant changes there that we've seen but its entirely possible they might tweak some thresholds in future revisions. If anything comes up we'll see it and advise.
Appreciate 2
Boss3301721.50
Bestia64.50
      11-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #49
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Just got the call from my Bmw tech. This info is true and he just had a car flagged for ecu tuning. He simply plugged the obdII in and checked for codes.

Time will tell if constant code clearing will be an issue with piggy backs with CAN Access as well.

Last edited by SflBimmer8484; 11-30-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bestia64.50
      11-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #50
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Just got the call from my Bmw tech. This info is true and he just had a car flagged for ecu tuning. He simply plugged the obdII in and checked for codes.

Time will tell if constant code clearing will be an issue with piggy backs with CAN Access as well.
So the piggy back is safe still?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #51
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
So the piggy back is safe still?
Here is what I think of piggys based on what I was told today. (Theory)

It may just be a checksum verification which would mean all Piggys are good to go but a No No on the Flashes.

main options are.. If Your SA is cool of course.

- jb4 stage 2 - must remove before dealer visit . May cause detection because of code clear counters. (Theory) At a minumum you should pull the Obd2 plug.

- jb stage 1 - must remove before dealer visit ( theory)

- Active 8 - connect bypass plug super easy

Im sure there are others with similar setups but these are what im familiar with.

I was about to flash mine when when I receive it next week but I think I will be holding off for now. Kicking myself for not getting a zcp

Last edited by SflBimmer8484; 11-30-2016 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bestia64.50
      11-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #52
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:

Would you mind clarifying your statement wth further detail? Thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #53
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Would you mind clarifying your statement wth further detail? Thanks for the post.
Sure, tech told me he had a Vehicle flagged while connecting to the ObdII port trying to read codes. Screen said not to work on vehicle without calling a bmw phone number first. He further explained this was due to a update they got on their end and hes not 100% what its looking for.

Car had a software flash and a jb4
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #54
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i ONLY put top tier gas in my car duhhhhh......:O
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #55
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
First thing, I work in the field as well. I have dealt with many sales people, mechanics etc that "think" they know about cars, but cannot even change their own oil. So we will leave it at that. Even some of the techs I would not let change a tire, let alone give me advice on performance stuff

Moving along......

Next, like mentioned, the DME has no way to tell Ethanol content since it does not run an Ethanol sensor.

Your story makes no sense. So you are saying, this software update causes the car to go into limp mode with E85 correct? Then you said there are cars "at the dealer" being diagnosed because they are setting a limp mode because of E85. Why would someone bring their car to the dealer that is running E85 and mods to be diagnosed under WARRANTY by BMW? It is not BMW's problem......

Since you have this "close friend" that is telling you this in the dealer. What exact codes are these cars setting? Surely since this is so common at this particular dealer, your "close friend" can tell you the exact fault code # and description. Heck maybe he can even send you a screen shot from a cell phone pic. I am interested to see the exact code.

To me it just seems like a mere coincidence. Either a tuning issue, E85 mixture issue etc.

There is no software update that is changing anything, trust me on that.

Lastly, I poked around through your old threads. I just do not think I can trust the credibility of anyone who installed a JB4 on their vehicle and left 1 MAF plug disconnected for 6 months and have zero issues. Then all of a sudden have a problem. It seems like you may not be exactly knowledgeable about this stuff. Maybe whatever your "close friend" told you, you took it the wrong way and got lost in translation somewhere. Remember that game of "Telephone" you played when you were a child? I think that is what is going on here......

jesus christ
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #56
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sure, tech told me he had a Vehicle flagged while connecting to the ObdII port trying to read codes. Screen said not to work on vehicle without calling a bmw phone number first. He further explained this was due to a update they got on their end and hes not 100% what its looking for.

woah...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #57
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

From what Andrew is saying (or what it sounds like, i think)

is that a car came in for whatever issue, car was scanned, and since the car indeed had the jb4, the computer picked it up, and then in turn told the tech to NOT work on the car and contact BMW. So my question is, can the tech simply work on the car...

And does this new "update" basically stop all modded ecu's from getting ANY kind of work done at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #58
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure the car had a flash? If it did, the owner of the vehicle is lying to someone. I spoke with the owner of the vehicle that got flagged. I ran his VIN to verify, he did get flagged, however he did not get his warranty void. He stated the JB4 was installed in the car and ON, however he said he had no flash and did not know what a flash was.

Unless it is a completely different person, he was from the Miami area though.
I'm in that FB thread. Yes, he did have a flash and a Jb4 connected per his reply. Looks like its all deleted now though.

Last edited by SflBimmer8484; 12-01-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #59
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
From what Andrew is saying (or what it sounds like, i think)

is that a car came in for whatever issue, car was scanned, and since the car indeed had the jb4, the computer picked it up, and then in turn told the tech to NOT work on the car and contact BMW. So my question is, can the tech simply work on the car...

And does this new "update" basically stop all modded ecu's from getting ANY kind of work done at all?
From what I was told the computer told the tech to not work on the vehicle and he would have to call a special number to get approval. I believe this would require someone to come and give it a look over and approve any parts or void warranty if parts are indeed found.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #60
M3LOLJK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Wow, are you talking about the guy that made the thread on FB or someone else in the thread? Because he PMed me. I asked if he had a flash. He said he does not know what a flash is lol.
Can confirm that the OP of that FB thread mentioned that he had a Flash and JB4.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #61
Bestia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, (sold) e70, e39 M5

Quote:
I am not being an asshole, I can just see through the bullshit.

So you had a problem with E85 before the update correct? So OBVIOUSLY the problem is not that BMW made some software to prevent you from using E85 because this was happening BEFORE the update. Clearly the issue lies somewhere else. Why did you close friend at the dealer feel the need to update your software when you had E85 troubles? None of this makes any sense.

Just because somebody told you something, does not mean it is true. There is alot of false information passed around the forums daily. And clearly, sorry you are taking offense to it, but you are not very knowledgeable about this stuff. You are just going off what someone told you. Like I said, you drove around for 6 months with a MAF unplugged. C'mon now.

Like I said. If this is such a close friend to you. How about you get the details on what codes these cars are setting after the update when running E85 mixtures. Its not hard to take a cell phone pic and send it to you? Instead of just posting hearsay and stirring up a $hit storm on the forums. Lets see some proof...... Is that too much to ask for? Surely since these guys have seen it a bunch of times, you can get some solid proof instead of just blabbing rumors on the forum and then we can have a real conversation.

My bet is, there is another problem with the car. Problem with the tuning software, something no connected correctly(its already happened), incorrect settings in the tuning software or improper mixture.
I am an unabashed asshole, so I can spot one when i "read" one; and you, my friend, are an asshole. Read the kid's post, "Welp, hopefully you guys are correct. I honestly don't know enough about it to say one way or another."
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #62
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LOLJK View Post
Can confirm that the OP of that FB thread mentioned that he had a Flash and JB4.

so that person took the car in, with a jb4, AND flash.....

void his warranty. nothing new here, that guy is an idiot.

all this stress for nothing.

where is that box i was looking for, to ship out my ECU's... ...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #63
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

They are cracking down on flashes. I have a friend with an m6 who got flagged as soon as the car was hooked up to check faults. Also, I know someone with an m4 who got flagged over gts dct software. If you have non oem software, either go back to stock or be prepared for the possibility of no warranty.

Last edited by heckyeahbro69; 12-01-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #64
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
so that person took the car in, with a jb4, AND flash.....

void his warranty. nothing new here, that guy is an idiot.

all this stress for nothing.

where is that box i was looking for, to ship out my ECU's... ...
I don't think you are understanding.. The Obd2 read Flagged his car not the tech. This is something that we have never seen before from bmw since all flags have been from a visual inspection in the past.

To reiterate his car was FLAGGED and warranty has not been voided. In this case the vehicle left without pursuing any type of warranty work.
Appreciate 1
Bestia64.50
      12-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #65
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckyeahbro69 View Post
They are cracking down on flashes. I have a friend with an m6 who got flagged as soon as the car was hooked up to check faults. Also, I know someone with an m4 who got flagged over gts dct software. If you have non oem software, either go back to stock or be prepared for the possibility of no warranty.
Why would BMW's own Software void a warranty or raise a flag?(GTS DCT software)
That one's hard to believe.
      12-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #66
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone? View Post
Why would BMW's own Software void a warranty or raise a flag?(GTS DCT software)
That one's hard to believe.

Go try it and report back. I'm relaying first hand experiences, not hearsay.