Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Owners who had E90/92/93 and got F80/82/83, how was the transition?

I have E93 and I am getting my F83 early Nov. I need tips about how was there Siri on between the 2 cars.

Any thoughts are welcome
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_attack View Post
I have E93 and I am getting my F83 early Nov. I need tips about how was there Siri on between the 2 cars.

Any thoughts are welcome
Totally different cars and everything is subjective but my 2 cents:

* The F8x sounds like shit compared to E9x
* The F8x is a total fucking demon that you're likely not in control of and it'll give you no warnings
* The F8x DCT, if you have that, feels a lot different and if you drive DCTs manually it'll take you awhile to get used to
* The F8x feels bigger and it's harder to place, at least for the first few months
* The F8x is a lot nicer inside and a lot more tame feeling unless you push it which is when you'll most definitely lose control (at least on the 2015s that's the case) but then I have one of the 1st 44 off the line so I'm probably missing updates
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Totally different cars and everything is subjective but my 2 cents:

* The F8x sounds like shit compared to E9x
* The F8x is a total fucking demon that you're likely not in control of and it'll give you no warnings
* The F8x DCT, if you have that, feels a lot different and if you drive DCTs manually it'll take you awhile to get used to
* The F8x feels bigger and it's harder to place, at least for the first few months
* The F8x is a lot nicer inside and a lot more tame feeling unless you push it which is when you'll most definitely lose control (at least on the 2015s that's the case) but then I have one of the 1st 44 off the line so I'm probably missing updates

So you didn't like the F8x? Did you make the transition recently? Was it ZCP?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
onetrader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMBM3,CCB,6MT,Exec,Lgt,FL

I honestly don't understand the sounds like shit criticism. SMH
Appreciate 1
'Cane8651.50
      10-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrader View Post
Relatively speaking.. relative to the S65, or the traditional high revving NA ///M car sounds. There was no way people weren't going to bash the S55's sound after the S65 made blissful stratospheric symphonies.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Honestly my E92 M3 was such a Great Car i didnt think it could get much better, BUT i was WRONG! the F82 M4 is a better car, Yup its true, More room, A lot faster, pretty much everything is better IMO.
My M3 had Akro exhaust/Dinan Intake/BMP tune and in my opinion is/was one of the best sounding cars ive EVER heard, and that still holds true,lol, BUT i love the sound of the M4 dam near as much.
      10-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So you didn't like the F8x? Did you make the transition recently? Was it ZCP?
I got the car in 2014, it was one of the first F83s built so no zcp (and no pass-through!). It's a great car, better in every way than the E93, but I loved the E93 and I like the F83. The E93 has a true personality whereas the F83 is more digital/clinical.

From a performance perspective there's no doubt - the F83 both as a sports car and as a convertible kicks the E93s ass by every measure - it's one of the best, if not THE best, convertible you can buy. For me, it's the best new convertible that you can buy for any amount. However where the E93 was predictable and sounded heavenly, the F83 is unpredictable and sounds like a diesel shrimp boat ... but where the E93 would twist and creak the F83 feels like it's carved out of solid steel - you can take corners WAY faster in the F83. Overall performance-wise, the F83 definitely feels like the next generation.

I drive the car hard on canyon roads most weeks and it's a top competitor against ANY other car whereas the E93 wasn't. (before the laptop racers freak out, I'm talking real world driving on real roads with real normal people driving)

So it's a great car, but it's not a car I'm in love with like I was with the E93 ... but the higher performance would be pretty hard to give up.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-08-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321125.00
RobbyMack738.50
      10-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_attack

Any thoughts are welcome
I miss the;

Seats ( The most comfortable seat I've ever sat in)
Light precise steering and good road feel ( f8x is too stiff/heavy)
EDC ( I didn't get this option but it certainly is a luxury)
Size (you feel the size difference)
Color (I don't like white and prefer black)
DCT ( it was less jerky and so smooth)
      10-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got the car in 2014, it was one of the first F83s built so no zcp (and no pass-through!). It's a great car, better in every way than the E93, but I loved the E93 and I like the F83. The E93 has a true personality whereas the F83 is more digital/clinical.

From a performance perspective there's no doubt - the F83 both as a sports car and as a convertible kicks the E93s ass by every measure - it's one of the best, if not THE best, convertible you can buy. For me, it's the best new convertible that you can buy for any amount. However where the E93 was predictable and sounded heavenly, the F83 is unpredictable and sounds like a diesel shrimp boat ... but where the E93 would twist and creak the F83 feels like it's carved out of solid steel - you can take corners WAY faster in the F83. Overall performance-wise, the F83 definitely feels like the next generation.

I drive the car hard on canyon roads most weeks and it's a top competitor against ANY other car whereas the E93 wasn't. (before the laptop racers freak out, I'm talking real world driving on real roads with real normal people driving)

So it's a great car, but it's not a car I'm in love with like I was with the E93 ... but the higher performance would be pretty hard to give up.

It makes lot of sense. I test drive one before I order mine and I can relate to some of what you said.

But did you have to change your driving habites after you got the F83?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I had 2 e92 M3s before the F80, first was a basic one on 18"/manual/passive dampers the second a loaded ZCP DCT frozen silver edition.

For me the F80 feels lighter/keener/sharper and stiffer than either but the S55 is no S65, in the way it delivers the goods and how it sounds whilst going about its business.
      10-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

But did you have to change your driving habites after you got the F83
Do you mean stop driving like a complete douche?

No, it's even worse in the F83 - any douchism you practiced in the E93 you can double-down on in the F83. You will definitely be one of the most hated people on the road at any given time - some people will try to spray you with windshield wiper fluid, but you can easily outrun that shit. Oh yeah, people will HATE you.

Or maybe that's just me ... whatever, I pay taxes and paid all my tickets on multiple continents. I'm a man of the people.

As to performance driving habits, yeah I had to change every one - it's a totally different car.
Appreciate 2
Vooj41.50
      10-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

The only thing I remember from the E9x was the exhaust sound

F80 is an improvement in all other areas.
Appreciate 1
zac5151.50
      10-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #13
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

It's not as good as the older V8 but it's much better than what the reviewers show in their video due to their crappy equipment. See this video maybe you'll change your mind about the sound:

Appreciate 2
rabman5112.50
      10-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
It's not as good as the older V8 but it's much better than what the reviewers show in their video due to their crappy equipment. See this video maybe you'll change your mind about the sound:
I'm pretty certain we're hearing ASD on the in-car clips since externally it sounds like any other M3, maybe louder, but it's still a fart covered up by glade to me. Now if synthesized sound like ASD is good or not, that's a whole other topic, but I'd say then it's not the M-car sound you like, rather a sweet 808 & 909 EDM track that some BMW engineers re-mixed up.

Anyway, not trying to start sound war since that's been rehashed a million times ... bottom line is some people like the sound and that's great, but some people don't and that's great too.

There's no "prove" it sucks or doesn't suck.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 01:41 AM   #15
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

I drove an E93 for the last 5 1/2 years and my F80 Comp Package arrived on Monday. Here are my initial impressions.

1) The F80 is more comfortable. I loved the E93 seats, but the Comp Pack seats feel like they mold to my body. Wifey agrees.

2) This thing is scary fast. I'm still getting used to it. Torque is unbelievable. No noticeable lag. I think it is a little more pronounced for me going from the E93 as opposed to a lighter E92.

3) I miss the engine growl more than the exhaust. I had an Arqray exhaust which was loud. The comp pack exhaust is noticeably quieter, but I do not dislike it and I'm not going to mod it.

4) I have yet to hit a canyon, but so far it handles very well. Less roll. However, Steering is a little numb in comfort. I keep it in sport plus with the throttle and dampers in sport.

5) I like that I can configure the HUD to include the rev meter in M - Mode.

So far, I'm loving it. Glad I moved up!
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean stop driving like a complete douche?

No, it's even worse in the F83 - any douchism you practiced in the E93 you can double-down on in the F83. You will definitely be one of the most hated people on the road at any given time - some people will try to spray you with windshield wiper fluid, but you can easily outrun that shit. Oh yeah, people will HATE you.

Or maybe that's just me ... whatever, I pay taxes and paid all my tickets on multiple continents. I'm a man of the people.

As to performance driving habits, yeah I had to change every one - it's a totally different car.
I don't care about that haters.

Thanks for the insights

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
I drove an E93 for the last 5 1/2 years and my F80 Comp Package arrived on Monday. Here are my initial impressions.

1) The F80 is more comfortable. I loved the E93 seats, but the Comp Pack seats feel like they mold to my body. Wifey agrees.

2) This thing is scary fast. I'm still getting used to it. Torque is unbelievable. No noticeable lag. I think it is a little more pronounced for me going from the E93 as opposed to a lighter E92.

3) I miss the engine growl more than the exhaust. I had an Arqray exhaust which was loud. The comp pack exhaust is noticeably quieter, but I do not dislike it and I'm not going to mod it.

4) I have yet to hit a canyon, but so far it handles very well. Less roll. However, Steering is a little numb in comfort. I keep it in sport plus with the throttle and dampers in sport.

Great to know
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 04:51 AM   #18
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80C,GT4,C4GTS,CT4-BW,MK8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrader View Post
F8x only sounds shit when you compare it to a Porsche 991.1 with PSA(sport exhaust), otherwise it sounds quite good.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #19
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

3 years behind a E92 ZCP/DCT

My f80 will be here in a few days, but I have considerable amount of time behind various f8x's including a Euro Delivery with my buddy which included some ring time and 1400'ish miles

Cons
- The sound, there wasn't much they could do about that. Hard to mess with a v8
- HK audio is trash, that upgrade was once worth something, I promise.
- I'm going to get some flack, but the DCT is lethargic. Perhaps it's the high revving nature and sound of the car to where DCT just made sense with the E9x; however, I don't think in the f8x that it adds to the experience and takes away from the car (ordered a 6mt without test driving one)
- This auto start/stop crap. Thanks for including that "feature"

Pros
- Torque, holy hell. The S65 got put to shame. Tough to compete with turbos
- MPG's, oh so it's clearly faster and gets better gas mileage? Damn you
- Power delivery, you don't have to wind the car out to get pushed back in the seat
- The car felt much more nimble and easier to throw around on track

Clearly both fantastic cars, I personally don't think you can go wrong with either.
      12-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #20
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post

Not to necro a thread but I just had a few questions about the ride quality compared to e9x. I had an e92 and I thought highway driving and ride quality was very good and smooth even over our bouncy concrete slab highway.

I heard the F80 is a bit stiffer and I am looking for a ZCP because I want all the other stuff it comes with, but with the even stiffer dampers how does the ride comfort on daily commutes compare with the e90?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #21
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English View Post
Not to necro a thread but I just had a few questions about the ride quality compared to e9x. I had an e92 and I thought highway driving and ride quality was very good and smooth even over our bouncy concrete slab highway.

I heard the F80 is a bit stiffer and I am looking for a ZCP because I want all the other stuff it comes with, but with the even stiffer dampers how does the ride comfort on daily commutes compare with the e90?
I only drove an E92 on the track at m performance school, so I can't exactly compare for you. But compared to my F30 335i (which had all the bells and whistles) to my F80 ZCP, I'd say it's pretty close in comfort suspension. After a week, I notice no difference. On some 'bumps', it actually performs better in my opinion, seems to be the harshest ones it eats up better than my F30 did, but in the mid of the range bumps it's barely noticeably more harsh. Splitting hairs here though.

It's really close and the ride should not be a factor. It's not lexus level smooth, but there is no floatyness at all and it is comparable to the regular 3 series in terms of overall harshness, just has a lot less body roll. To me it's a huge win, and yes that was one of my concerns with getting the ZCP before driving it.

Edit: To note, I do a lot of driving in crappy mississippi roads so I feel like it can't get much worse. If you drive in areas with nice roads, you'll likely not even notice a difference at all as I barely do on these poor surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #22
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I only drove an E92 on the track at m performance school, so I can't exactly compare for you. But compared to my F30 335i (which had all the bells and whistles) to my F80 ZCP, I'd say it's pretty close in comfort suspension. After a week, I notice no difference. On some 'bumps', it actually performs better in my opinion, seems to be the harshest ones it eats up better than my F30 did, but in the mid of the range bumps it's barely noticeably more harsh. Splitting hairs here though.

It's really close and the ride should not be a factor. It's not lexus level smooth, but there is no floatyness at all and it is comparable to the regular 3 series in terms of overall harshness, just has a lot less body roll. To me it's a huge win, and yes that was one of my concerns with getting the ZCP before driving it.

Edit: To note, I do a lot of driving in crappy mississippi roads so I feel like it can't get much worse. If you drive in areas with nice roads, you'll likely not even notice a difference at all as I barely do on these poor surfaces.
Hah yea our roads here are terribad with the rapid temp changes. Was 65 yesterday and 25 today ><.

Can you compare non ZCP to ZCP? I will be able to test drive a non ZCP soon as my dealer has a used one but want to make sure I can extrapolate that to the ZCP I may order.
Appreciate 0