European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #23
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
You can look at the price of the RS5 or the sales numbers on the F90 M5 as a good indicator of how this will end up already.

Everyone can say the RS5 or the M5 are far more practical but both of these cars sell in rather limited numbers already. Then you add in the wagon part of the RS6 Avant, which lets be honest, US buyers don't like wagons. I don't see this going well sales wise.

This is another one of those, "buyers" clamoring for this Avant but the amount of people actually going to end up buying it will be extremely little. You can get the Benz E63 AMG Wagon and yet, how many do you see on the road? Very, VERY little.

With how Audi prices cars, my educated guess is, this will easily hit 140k with options. WHich is what I have been saying, if Audi wants to do this correctly, they SHOULD do it with the RS4, judge the market first before they do the RS6 Avant. That is the more practical route, not this bring RS6 first, probably fail and not do this again.
I can't believe you didn't flag this post for me.

You and minn19 know my deep and undying power wagon love.
Arcades8136.50
      08-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #24
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post

I honestly was going to and I ended up having a crazy work/personal week. Not Lups crazy, but still. You know how it goes Myz, soccer ended Tuesday and hockey starts tonight.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it looks bad ass. Please whoever above (or below) forgive me for saying that about a station wagon.
Appreciate 1
myzmak2415.00
      08-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:

So which wagon do you have now?

Did you ever have a 6MT CTSV wagon? I was so sad that Enthusiast Internet didn’t buy those up by the railcar load and reverse the Perfomance SUV trend j to Performance 6MT wagon trend
Appreciate 1
myzmak2415.00
      08-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #26
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I honestly was going to and I ended up having a crazy work/personal week. Not Lups crazy, but still. You know how it goes Myz, soccer ended Tuesday and hockey starts tonight.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it looks bad ass. Please whoever above (or below) forgive me for saying that about a station wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

Did you ever have a 6MT CTSV wagon? I was so sad that Enthusiast Internet didn’t buy those up by the railcar load and reverse the Perfomance SUV trend j to Performance 6MT wagon trend
I thought you would know!

This RS6 Avant is very pretty. Definitely more of a looker than the current Benz E63S AMG. I can't see myself with wagons though no matter how much I secretly want one. I don't mind the new Panamera but... no.
minn1913970.00
myzmak2415.00
      08-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #27
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
Exactly, well said!
I am very much interested in the RS6 Avant as a replacement to my wife's X5M, but having dug a little deeper, this thing is going to cost crazy cash! AudiNA is setting this thing up to fail given the likely price, and America's aversion to wagons. It would have been much wiser to bring over the RS4 Avant at a relatively less expensive entry fee.
Totally agree Kief!! I think the RS6 will be out of range for most people, to include myself. The RS4 would definitely be a more entertaining entry point for most wagon enthusiasts. My gut tells me the RS6 will be priced somewhere between 120k and 130k.
      08-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #28
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

There's an imported euro v10 rs6 wagon around town and I still think it's such a great looking beast! The new one is way outta my price range but glad to see Audi bringing this beauty stateside.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #29
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Have always loved sporty wagons. Not that I could afford this Audi, but .....no manual, no deal. I miss my V70R. Not in the same league as the RS6, but plenty fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #30
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Totally agree Kief!! I think the RS6 will be out of range for most people, to include myself. The RS4 would definitely be a more entertaining entry point for most wagon enthusiasts. My gut tells me the RS6 will be priced somewhere between 120k and 130k.
I'm sure lease prices will be reasonable like most BMWs.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      08-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #31
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Check this out!!! Pretty Cool!
Great job Audi.

08-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #32
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
This car will be more special than having Ferrari in the states without all of the unwanted attention. The price will likely be ridiculous but I think it'll be worth it to have a unicorn-ish dream car that probably won't be around in the future due to cost/interest level.

Guess we'll have to see options on leasing next year and see if they want to push a few out the door. I'm guessing the low inventory will keep resale around 80k in 3 years but they'll run a pretty penny either route.

Side note, this ain't Sparky Griswold's wood panel station wagon. Try calling it an estate or a long roof and live in the now!
Appreciate 3
myzmak2415.00
ntg442887.50
heavyD^23684.00
      08-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #33
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post

All wagons are bad ass (ok, other than the type driven by Clark Griswald in Vacation...but even that one in its own way....)

and I know how the seasons go. We start tryouts for ringette again tomorrow, hockey in about a week and then we are right back into it.

Quote:

An E350 right now (and before that the sleeper VW Passat W8 wagon - wanted to get that one in 6MT, but we were right on the end of the production cycle and missed it). E63S has long been on the radar for when we replace the E350....though it might have some real competition with the RS6 Avant

Never had the CTS - can never get over the Cadillac styling.

Quote:
I thought you would know!

This RS6 Avant is very pretty. Definitely more of a looker than the current Benz E63S AMG. I can't see myself with wagons though no matter how much I secretly want one. I don't mind the new Panamera but... no.
I keep saying: absolute best of all worlds. The utility of whatever godawful looking SUVs north americans insist on buying (cargo room galore) BUT they drive like cars.
GERMAN M34176.50
      08-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #34
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

probably not.

If they limit quantity to under 1000 and don't allow leases.. then yeah i'd fork down 50% and finance it. do my own individual spec.

Otherwise the depreciation will just be silly. You could probably do a used GT4 + a nice $40-50k estate car daily of your choice... and save a load of cash.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #35
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
An E350 right now (and before that the sleeper VW Passat W8 wagon - wanted to get that one in 6MT, but we were right on the end of the production cycle and missed it). E63S has long been on the radar for when we replace the E350....though it might have some real competition with the RS6 Avant

Never had the CTS - can never get over the Cadillac styling.

I keep saying: absolute best of all worlds. The utility of whatever godawful looking SUVs north americans insist on buying (cargo room galore) BUT they drive like cars.
That's too bad on your opinion of Cadillac styling. You could be having E63 / RS6 type of performance right now in your driveway with 6MT to boot, for the same money as E350 wagon.

I really wanted to do euro delivery, so I went the F80 route, but those CTS-V 6MT wagons were super compelling back in 2014-2015

My wife has an F31 wagon right now. Definitely a nice road trip car. Too bad on the towing capacity though. That's likely to tip me into the large SUV or van market in the future (e.g. 4x4 sprinter van)
Appreciate 1
myzmak2415.00
      08-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #36
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I'm planning on it. It's at the top of the list to replace a Macan GTS in two years. But a few things have to break right:

1. The pricing can't be ridiculous. M5/E63 pricing is fair, but not Panamera pricing
2. Wife has to not hate it
3. Lease terms cannot be usurious
4. It can't drive like shit. It's gonna be a very heavy car, so the big question is, can it wear its weight well?

If those conditions are met, I'm reasonably certain I'll be leasing one if i can get my hands on one
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #37
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I'm planning on it. It's at the top of the list to replace a Macan GTS in two years. But a few things have to break right:

1. The pricing can't be ridiculous. M5/E63 pricing is fair, but not Panamera pricing
4. It can't drive like shit. It's gonna be a very heavy car, so the big question is, can it wear its weight well?

If those conditions are met, I'm reasonably certain I'll be leasing one if i can get my hands on one
Audi's RS leases are never great to begin with so I wouldn't expect it to be better.

I'm personally expecting the RS6's AWD to hide the weight for daily driving wise, probably not track wise (like almost all of Audi RS cars).
      08-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #38
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Audi's RS leases are never great to begin with so I wouldn't expect it to be better.

I'm personally expecting the RS6's AWD to hide the weight for daily driving wise, probably not track wise (like almost all of Audi RS cars).
Agreed. I think it's unrealistic to expect BMW-type deals, because Audi won't subsidize to that degree. I'm used to paying Porsche leases so that might be acceptable if they're similar
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #39
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
That's too bad on your opinion of Cadillac styling. You could be having E63 / RS6 type of performance right now in your driveway with 6MT to boot, for the same money as E350 wagon.

I really wanted to do euro delivery, so I went the F80 route, but those CTS-V 6MT wagons were super compelling back in 2014-2015

My wife has an F31 wagon right now. Definitely a nice road trip car. Too bad on the towing capacity though. That's likely to tip me into the large SUV or van market in the future (e.g. 4x4 sprinter van)
Yeah...its a long standing problem of mine with Cadillac. I've always loathed the Escalade and I think they just brought that whole look through the whole line.

Plus...I'll admit to some issues with the Cadillac brand. Every time I see one (even CTS-V or ATS-V), I assume the driver is silver haired - have yet to be disappointed on that. I'll admit to enough vanity that I don't want people to assume that about me when they see my car.

I often wonder if GM should just start a brand new brand to try to really compete on the performance side - ditch caddy (or remove this whole line from that brand) altogether. Charge a bit more (as, ironically, when people pay less they assume it isn't as good).

F31s look nice. We don't tow anything, so that isn't an issue but as the wagon is our 'full size', that size is a bit small for us (2 kids + dog with a ton of trips to the mountains each year with skis or golf clubs or hiking stuff or whatever).

If you like the size of the F31, AMG has done the C-43 wagon here now....which maybe gives you something else that is mildly sportier.

OR if you want a larger size but don't want to pay E63 dollars, there is an E53

(though, frankly, i'm not sure the performance is that different on those two from the C400 or E400....but that leads to a WHOLE OTHER rant about how AMG is cheapening its brand by offering these 'in betweener' cars like the C43 and E43 - even worse than BMW with all the "M240i" etcs....but I really digress now)

Buddy of mine and his partner (who worked with me at the time) have 4 kids between them (from multiple past marriages - very much a brady bunch) and I tried to convince them to get and modify a sprinter a few years ago (as I seriously think that could be cool). She would barely speak to me for a month after I suggested it instead, she just got some monstrously big infinit or something
      08-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #40
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Modified Sprinter is my dream but i think i would hate driving it.

I priced it out and it’s around M5 pricing (actually a bit more than that tbh). It’s a nice option if you don’t care about performance
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #41
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Modified Sprinter is my dream but i think i would hate driving it.

I priced it out and it’s around M5 pricing (actually a bit more than that tbh). It’s a nice option if you don’t care about performance
My buddy has had a couple modified sprinters and a modified Metris for his work. They cool and all but noisy as all hell with the big open space behind the driver/passenger. Don't get me wrong if you need one then they are great but other than a need I can't see anyone actually wanting one.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #42
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
I often wonder if GM should just start a brand new brand to try to really compete on the performance side - ditch caddy (or remove this whole line from that brand) altogether. Charge a bit more (as, ironically, when people pay less they assume it isn't as good).
Sounds to me like a Pontiac revival, kind of what Dodge is trying to turn itself into. Pontiacs used to cost more than Chevys, would be a pretty good opportunity to bring the brand back.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #43
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

G80 with a cargo-box on top for me, due to manual transmission.
If a manual transmission wagon came to the US, I would definitely get one.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #44
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah...its a long standing problem of mine with Cadillac. I've always loathed the Escalade and I think they just brought that whole look through the whole line.

Plus...I'll admit to some issues with the Cadillac brand. Every time I see one (even CTS-V or ATS-V), I assume the driver is silver haired - have yet to be disappointed on that. I'll admit to enough vanity that I don't want people to assume that about me when they see my car.

F31s look nice. We don't tow anything, so that isn't an issue but as the wagon is our 'full size', that size is a bit small for us (2 kids + dog with a ton of trips to the mountains each year with skis or golf clubs or hiking stuff or whatever).

If you like the size of the F31, AMG has done the C-43 wagon here now....which maybe gives you something else that is mildly sportier.

OR if you want a larger size but don't want to pay E63 dollars, there is an E53

(though, frankly, i'm not sure the performance is that different on those two from the C400 or E400....but that leads to a WHOLE OTHER rant about how AMG is cheapening its brand by offering these 'in betweener' cars like the C43 and E43 - even worse than BMW with all the "M240i" etcs....but I really digress now)

Buddy of mine and his partner (who worked with me at the time) have 4 kids between them (from multiple past marriages - very much a brady bunch) and I tried to convince them to get and modify a sprinter a few years ago (as I seriously think that could be cool). She would barely speak to me for a month after I suggested it instead, she just got some monstrously big infinit or something
My brother had an e63 wagon that he kindly lent to me whenever I visited him in a toronto (including some DEs). Cool car but definitely tough to fully max out.

Im not really going to do highway pulls to triple digits with my family and dog in the car, and would prefer to drive a more focused sports car if it’s a solo drive or track day, so e63 is sort of in a no man’s land for me.

After my brother’s ownership, a good friend bought the e63 and modded it to 700hp and he recently sold it (replaced with fast EV) since he never had enough chances to unleash the horsepower either.

The family hauler I am really interested in is the Lincoln aviator. Great towing specs and amazing mid century modern style interior. 400hp is enough for a family hauler, and competent but not sporty handling is ok.

Towing aside, I do like the size of the f31, and it’s 40mpg on the freeway (with awd) with “good enough” power. If the steering feeling was improved it would get pretty close to “perfect family hauling commuter” in my eyes.
Appreciate 1
myzmak2415.00