EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Ohlinds R&T Review

I have not been active on the forum but thought I would give my initial impressions of the Ohlinds Road and Track kit.

I had the kit expertly installed by the folks at EAS in Anaheim CA.

On the initial install I had the setting set at 10 or about the mid-way point of the settings. Even with fairly nice roads I found this setting to be too harsh for daily driving especially when on the toll roads doing 75-80 there are some pretty good bumps that are quite harsh.

A week later I took it back and had them back every thing out to the softest setting. This is an excellent setting for DD. Only the most harshest pavement bumps upset the car.

On this softest setting I was able to shave about 3 seconds off my AAA Speedway ROVAL course lap time. This definitely exceeded my expectations. It allowed me to carry much more speed in the medium-high speed corners where before I felt the car was pushing quite a bit and I was having to wait too long to square the car ip again before accelerating out of these corners.

My plan is to adjust the car back to the mid settings for my next event to see if I can improve my time. At some point I will try the stiffest setting to see how that performs.

One minor complaint is I think the rear springs could be a little softer. Over big bumps it does squat pretty hard especially compared to the fronts that handle them much better.

I will provide an update after my next track day but so far very happy with them.

2016 M4-BOOTMOD3 Stage 1

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 3
Wanted_M759.00
irunalot1518.00
richf8079.00
      01-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

When you said you took it back, what exactly did they change to make it softer? Did they adjust the spring preload or turn the nobs to a softer setting?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

He said
"had them back every thing out to the softest setting"
That would be the rebound/dampening settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
I have not been active on the forum but thought I would give my initial impressions of the Ohlinds Road and Track kit.

I had the kit expertly installed by the folks at EAS in Anaheim CA.

On the initial install I had the setting set at 10 or about the mid-way point of the settings. Even with fairly nice roads I found this setting to be too harsh for daily driving especially when on the toll roads doing 75-80 there are some pretty good bumps that are quite harsh.

A week later I took it back and had them back every thing out to the softest setting. This is an excellent setting for DD. Only the most harshest pavement bumps upset the car.

On this softest setting I was able to shave about 3 seconds off my AAA Speedway ROVAL course lap time. This definitely exceeded my expectations. It allowed me to carry much more speed in the medium-high speed corners where before I felt the car was pushing quite a bit and I was having to wait too long to square the car ip again before accelerating out of these corners.

My plan is to adjust the car back to the mid settings for my next event to see if I can improve my time. At some point I will try the stiffest setting to see how that performs.

One minor complaint is I think the rear springs could be a little softer. Over big bumps it does squat pretty hard especially compared to the fronts that handle them much better.

I will provide an update after my next track day but so far very happy with them.

2016 M4-BOOTMOD3 Stage 1
What were your Spring Rates?
      01-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
Intensemojo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Keep in mind that at 20F and 25R clicks out, the needle valve is fully backed out and is free flowing. For DD I am at 17F and 20R. Then 12F and 16R for the track. Any stiffer in the rear and it starts to skip out in the corners.
Appreciate 0