EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Brake Cooling - Spindle Ducts Installed!

So we all know the M3 isn't the lightest car and the stock brakes aren't the best, and quite possibly undersized. That being said, the car seems to lack any sort of forced air brake cooling as seen in other performance cars like Porsche...

So I decided to install Spindle ducts by RevoZport
http://www.revozport.com/f8x/rzp-brake-cooling-kit.html

My initial take is the following:
-Price was good
-Molding was quite good as in the form is almost perfect (Especially the CF backing plates)
-Backing plates are delicate and I could easily see breaking them if I drop the wheel on it, ( I almost wish they were metal instead of CF)
-Whole job only takes about 3 hours or so.
-I have a feeling the front scoops will eventually get damages by something like a speed bump, road debris, bad parking job etc...
-I have a bigger feeling I'll get the hoses ripped off from the bottom of the car at some point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 DCT ZCP

Thanks for sharing this. I think it is a good investment for a track junkie. Looking at the backing plate where the hose attaches. I can't help but wonder if they had placed the hole too far away from the center of the rotor. Wouldn't it make more sense to route air closer to the center and have the rotor's natural centrifugal force carry the air through the veins? Instead this design looks like it is just blowing on the rotor face. I'm sure it will still help...

Do you have a front view of the intake scoops in the lower bumper area? Curious to see how they look like w/o the M-Performance lip.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
JMon
FAST
Rep

I actually questioned that as well, but see these rotors can actually breath from the front as well as behind because of the internal vanes and floating disk setup. Older designs just breathed from behind.
So in this case, just dumping cold air on the inner rotor surface probably yields some help to what is usually the hottest side.
How much it helps, I could only guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 DCT ZCP

I'm not sure if I follow what you are saying about breathing from the Front or Behind the rotor. Are you referring to Inboard or Outboard sides of the rotor?

Anyway, this picture below shows what I am talking about. Air is directed closer to the center of the rotor, or in other words closer to the hub or bearing area. From there, the air will flow radially outwards through the vanes via centrifugal force of the rotating rotor. I think this is a more efficient way than to blow air on the face of the rotor. 2nd Picture below is your Revozport setup for comparison.

I'm not knocking your setup, just looking for an open discussion as I plan to do many track days myself when my F80 arrives this summer.
Attached Images

Last edited by M3Tooner; 03-02-2016 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
Flying Low
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2003 M3, 2015 M4

I was looking at the Revozport setup as well but I'm inclined to make my own setup for two reasons. The air should be directed to the hub area (so the rotor vanes can cool both side of the rotor more evenly) and not so much to the inside rotor face. Revozport will help but maybe not enough and that setup is very expensive. Secondly Revozport uses a smaller 2 1/2" dia. duct that snakes around quite a bit and the inlet seems too small, so I'm inclined to stick with the 2 1/2" duct but go with a larger collector mounted under the front bumper cover to help with flow. I'm looking at a collector that is 3" high and about 7 1/2" wide. But there is bracing for the outboard coolers that limit how flush the larger collector can be and still have enough ground clearance.
      03-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
baz171
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3 SS M Performance CF

Hi guys

Adding a brake cooling duct kit is something I think is seriously needed if your serious when going the track. I want to get a kit fitted or make my own (well probably with a little help)

I'm not sold on this Revozport kit but it seems to be the only kit available at the moment. It has Pro's and Con's which I think has been covered above.

I think we need to make a list of solutions etc as to decide whats the best way to:

1. Suck enough cold air in from the front
2. Best routing for ducting and size.
3. Best/most efficient way to cool rotors (direct at rotor face or into hub area)

I think it's necessary to discuss and resolve each of the above separately!

I guess we can start by using the Revozport kit and look at ways of improving it.

It seems the cold air intake is not big enough to flow sufficient air to cool the brakes. This is obviously due to the fact the kit has been designed to fit in nicely with the shape of the front bumper and their aftermarket kit. But a big thing to remember about this location is the fact its the only real option on standard bumper with out having an aftermarket lower lip fitted.

So as I have the M Performance lip I plan to utilise the opening between the bumper and lower lip. A custom fabricated rectangular duct seems to be the answer.

It's clear the ground clearance under the front of the car to the wheel well is limited in height.
As with the design of Revozport my solution for an easy fit kit is to fit a solid rectangular duct which is low in height, from the front bumper back to the wheel well. Once more hight is available it will be connected to some hose.
I have no idea what size of hose to use but I'm sure it will be a min of 60mm (2.5")

Most likely a custom backplate will be required. Can only discuss once we have best confirmed way to cool brakes. (hub centered or to rotor)

I hope to have a look over what is truly possible this afternoon if I can get car on a ramp.

Baz
2014 F80 M3 / YMB / SS & CF interior / Black M437s / M Performance CF front splitters - CF boot lip - Electronic CF & alcantara steering wheel - CF & alcantara handbrake - YMB custom painted door cards & radio/CC surround - YMB custom painted engine cover
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
racsos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz171
Hi guys

Adding a brake cooling duct kit is something I think is seriously needed if your serious when going the track. I want to get a kit fitted or make my own (well probably with a little help)

I'm not sold on this Revozport kit but it seems to be the only kit available at the moment. It has Pro's and Con's which I think has been covered above.

I think we need to make a list of solutions etc as to decide whats the best way to:

1. Suck enough cold air in from the front
2. Best routing for ducting and size.
3. Best/most efficient way to cool rotors (direct at rotor face or into hub area)

I think it's necessary to discuss and resolve each of the above separately!

I guess we can start by using the Revozport kit and look at ways of improving it.

It seems the cold air intake is not big enough to flow sufficient air to cool the brakes. This is obviously due to the fact the kit has been designed to fit in nicely with the shape of the front bumper and their aftermarket kit. But a big thing to remember about this location is the fact its the only real option on standard bumper with out having an aftermarket lower lip fitted.

So as I have the M Performance lip I plan to utilise the opening between the bumper and lower lip. A custom fabricated rectangular duct seems to be the answer.

It's clear the ground clearance under the front of the car to the wheel well is limited in height.
As with the design of Revozport my solution for an easy fit kit is to fit a solid rectangular duct which is low in height, from the front bumper back to the wheel well. Once more hight is available it will be connected to some hose.
I have no idea what size of hose to use but I'm sure it will be a min of 60mm (2.5")

Most likely a custom backplate will be required. Can only discuss once we have best confirmed way to cool brakes. (hub centered or to rotor)

I hope to have a look over what is truly possible this afternoon if I can get car on a ramp.

Baz
Hopefully some builds this kit!

Not sure if it should be hub centered or blows on the face of the rotor. However would make more sense to be hub centered.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

J have the revozport brake cooling kit and il be going to spa next month so I'll see how it holds up
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Pretty easy solution

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316897
Appreciate 1
Brasko1420.00
      03-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

This kit screams out that it was made by someone that does not understand the fundamentals of brake cooling. You shoot air to the center of the hub, simple as that, never to the face of the brake disc.
      03-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #11
Flying Low
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2003 M3, 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
So we all know the M3 isn't the lightest car and the stock brakes aren't the best, and quite possibly undersized. That being said, the car seems to lack any sort of forced air brake cooling as seen in other performance cars like Porsche...

-Price was good
-Molding was quite good as in the form is almost perfect (Especially the CF backing plates)
-Backing plates are delicate and I could easily see breaking them if I drop the wheel on it, ( I almost wish they were metal instead of CF)
-I have a feeling the front scoops will eventually get damages by something like a speed bump, road debris, bad parking job etc...
-I have a bigger feeling I'll get the hoses ripped off from the bottom of the car at some point.
jMon,
Did the cooling hoses get pinched in the suspension, i.e. by the tie rod, when the wheels are at full lock?
      03-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
JMon
FAST
Rep

I don't think there is any real issues with the duct getting pinched. It may rub the tie rod end but I don't think that will be much of a problem. On the tire rod end, I did rotate the clip on the boot so that wouldn't catch the hose.
When I swap back to street pads, I'll take a quick look to see if there is any sign of wear due to rubbing or pinching.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
JMon
FAST
Rep

Also, even though I was't able to test with vs without cooling, I did 2 days at VIR really hammering it (Pagid RS29s and RBF) not even a sniff of fade, no cracked rotors, no discolored calipers, just solid brakes.
Next time I go, I'll block off one of the ducts and record Left vs Right temps to see how much the cooling helps.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      03-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #14
baz171
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3 SS M Performance CF

Hey JMon.

Yes I guess if you could try and block one off and get a temp gun on the discs for comparison that would be great.

I'd recommend you tape over one duct when heading out. Go for a normal session, have 2 laps flat out and come straight in to pits without cool down. Have a friend waiting to get temps and also to remove the tape. You can then get straight out for a couple of cool down laps.

Baz
2014 F80 M3 / YMB / SS & CF interior / Black M437s / M Performance CF front splitters - CF boot lip - Electronic CF & alcantara steering wheel - CF & alcantara handbrake - YMB custom painted door cards & radio/CC surround - YMB custom painted engine cover
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Bump.
Any new experience? How is the usage long-term? Happy?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #16
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Guys, what do you think of these shields?
From what I see they seem to be channeling part of the air into the center of the hub.
https://www.laptime-performance.de/s...remsentechnik/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #17
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
Guys, what do you think of these shields?
From what I see they seem to be channeling part of the air into the center of the hub.
https://www.laptime-performance.de/s...remsentechnik/
I'd be down to hear more about these as well.

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2023 BMW M4 CSL, 2021 Ferrari F8 Tributo, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Notable Past: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 1
Zoomz_714.00
      04-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #18
Driving for Charity UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post

-Price was good
Sorry to bring back an old thread but can I get any long term experiences on this kit?

Desperate to find a solution to my overheating brakes
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #19
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimike View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread but can I get any long term experiences on this kit?

Desperate to find a solution to my overheating brakes
My experience: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=Revozport

If I had to do it all again, I’d go for Essex BBKs and pads that would tolerate insane amounts of heat (not Pagid RS29s), and then decide if I still needed ducting.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #20
JMon
FAST
Rep

I ran these ducts on many track days at VIR and Sebring with the RS29 and never had an over heat situation. Fronts only. Definitely don't need any more cooling on the rears.
That being said. I never ran the car without the ducts so I'm not sure if they truly help or not. I'd be curious to know the difference. I install mine before I go to the track and remove them when I get home. I don't keep them on all the time. Where I live, I need good ground clearance.
Appreciate 2
      12-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #21
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Any updates JMon ?

How are the backing plates holding up?
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #22
JMon
FAST
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Any updates JMon ?

How are the backing plates holding up?
Holding up pretty good.
Actually I just took them off the car because I'm selling the M3.
Appreciate 0