BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Ok this is a small fun proof of concept derived originally from my paranoia that some strangers may do harm to my baby I wanted a means to locate my M as the BMW remote app only allows vehicle location within a small ridiculous radius and you'd get a message saying it can't be located for privacy reasons... I also wanted to remotely and over cellular data access an onboard camera so I can see around my lonely car !

Proof of concept:
- An old jailbroken iPhone 5
- Data sim card ($10/month for 150Mb)
- Apple app "Find my friends"
- Cydia app "AutoAnswer" : auto-answers incoming FaceTime calls!

I am able to locate my car anywhere there's a cellular signal (2G, 3G, LTE) and I can FaceTime it : I haven't finalized the hidden location of the iPhone 5 with power when ignition is ON. A small con is that the autoanswer app doesn't provide a means to choose the rear camera as by default FaceTime is active with the front facing camera. Thoughts/comments?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Ok this is a small fun proof of concept derived originally from my paranoia that some strangers may do harm to my baby I wanted a means to locate my M as the BMW remote app only allows vehicle location within a small ridiculous radius and you'd get a message saying it can't be located for privacy reasons... I also wanted to remotely and over cellular data access an onboard camera so I can see around my lonely car !

Proof of concept:
- An old jailbroken iPhone 5
- Data sim card ($10/month for 150Mb)
- Apple app "Find my friends"
- Cydia app "AutoAnswer" : auto-answers incoming FaceTime calls!

I am able to locate my car anywhere there's a cellular signal (2G, 3G, LTE) and I can FaceTime it : I haven't finalized the hidden location of the iPhone 5 with power when ignition is ON. A small con is that the autoanswer app doesn't provide a means to choose the rear camera as by default FaceTime is active with the front facing camera. Thoughts/comments?
Disassemble the iPhone, and stick the rear facing camera where you want!

And for shits and giggles - publish your FaceTime details so any random anywhere in the world can ring you
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@dinonz , the AutoAnswer app supports callerID so you can tell it to AutoAnswer from a list of approved numbers or emails!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

An alternative would be to add a Blackvue 2ch cam + *any* phone with Wi-Fi (for cellular data only).
      07-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
An alternative would be to add a Blackvue 2ch cam + *any* phone with Wi-Fi (for cellular data only).
That's an interesting solution, albeit with some limitation on cloud access. https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/...d-wifi-feature

thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0