European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Silica-Based Sealant Application

I've had a ceramic coating, and this was my 2nd time reapplying CarPro Reload after a Reset wash. To be safe, I've been using (water) damp MFs to apply and dry Reload on top of priming the towel for application but not so much to create streaking.

I don't know if this dilutes the product and creates a weaker bond to the coating, but I've been using this method to decrease marring and micro scratches on the paint.

But is Reload, primed on a MF, enough lubrication to use on dry towels, assuming the car is dust free, as well as a dry towel to buff?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

I use HydrO2 and seems to work pretty good without the hazing. Note that in Seattle, it's pretty easy to find a cloudy 60 degree day to do the washing and spraying!
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #3
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
I use HydrO2 and seems to work pretty good without the hazing. Note that in Seattle, it's pretty easy to find a cloudy 60 degree day to do the washing and spraying!
Ah yea, HydrO2 also has a simpler no contact application as well but it doesn't seem to be designed to work in conjunction with coatings? I researched it before, and wasn't able to find much on that route. Are you getting good results with it as LSP with a coating?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

I actually apply something similar, which is Shine Supply Clutch. I apply it just like a coating. MF applicator primed with product and then up and down strokes. After the wash process, the product to me has enough lubrication to not marr. I then let that set up, and flash. It should come off really easy, and you can let it flash for 15+ minutes.
I also like GTECHNIQ C2V3 Liquid Crystal. I use it almost like a detail spray, and its so easy that you will use it more often.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Ah yea, HydrO2 also has a simpler no contact application as well but it doesn't seem to be designed to work in conjunction with coatings? I researched it before, and wasn't able to find much on that route. Are you getting good results with it as LSP with a coating?
I don't have a coating on my car so it isn't something I worry about. Other people have posted that it works well with their coatings but would require more dilution and quicker rinsing.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
I don't have a coating on my car so it isn't something I worry about. Other people have posted that it works well with their coatings but would require more dilution and quicker rinsing.
I forgot there's 2 versions of HydrO2 available - concentrate and premix spray.

I'll look into it. I told myself I'd stop stocking up on multiple products for the same use though which is why I haven't switched to CarPro Gliss
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
I actually apply something similar, which is Shine Supply Clutch. I apply it just like a coating. MF applicator primed with product and then up and down strokes. After the wash process, the product to me has enough lubrication to not marr. I then let that set up, and flash. It should come off really easy, and you can let it flash for 15+ minutes.
I also like GTECHNIQ C2V3 Liquid Crystal. I use it almost like a detail spray, and its so easy that you will use it more often.
Hm, I see. Are you priming and applying from the towel or are you priming, and spraying on the paint?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 06:42 AM   #8
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Shine Supply Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Hm, I see. Are you priming and applying from the towel or are you priming, and spraying on the paint?
I prime the applicator pad with about three spritz, and only apply with the applicator. I do not spray on the paint.

Now if I am using the Gtechniq Liquid Crystal, I will prime the MF towel, with a spritz and then spray on the paint like a detail spray.

Bruce
Appreciate 0