Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #67
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
Using facts turns me on - which is weird considering

1. You didn't post any sources, but I know these are actually true
2. You're a guy (I assume) and I am too....a straight one.
Yep, I'm a happily married dude. Maybe it's because we are both Floridians? (Although I live in TN, now).

Sources, to make you excited

And for what it's worth, per the Mayo Clinic, the recommended daily amount of vitamin C for adult men is 90 milligrams and for adult women is 75 milligrams.

Per Harvard University, At doses above 400 mg, vitamin C is excreted in the urine. A daily dose of 2,000 mg or more can cause nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and it may interfere with tests for blood sugar.

Per the Emergen-C website, Emergen-C contains 1,000 mg of Vitamin C in each serving.

Yale University:
http://www.yalescientific.org/2015/0...c-really-help/

One Medical - primary care practice:
https://www.onemedical.com/blog/all-...nity-boosters/

Mayo Clinic:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...c/art-20363932

Harvard University:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/cold-...prevent-a-cold

Emergen-C Website FAQ:
https://www.emergenc.com/faqs
Appreciate 4
Taskmaster2463.00
RickFLM410883.50
minn1913970.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      09-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #68
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Yep, I'm a happily married dude. Maybe it's because we are both Floridians? (Although I live in TN, now).

Sources, to make you excited

And for what it's worth, per the Mayo Clinic, the recommended daily amount of vitamin C for adult men is 90 milligrams and for adult women is 75 milligrams.

Per Harvard University, At doses above 400 mg, vitamin C is excreted in the urine. A daily dose of 2,000 mg or more can cause nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and it may interfere with tests for blood sugar.

Per the Emergen-C website, Emergen-C contains 1,000 mg of Vitamin C in each serving.

Yale University:
http://www.yalescientific.org/2015/0...c-really-help/

One Medical - primary care practice:
https://www.onemedical.com/blog/all-...nity-boosters/

Mayo Clinic:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...c/art-20363932

Harvard University:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/cold-...prevent-a-cold

Emergen-C Website FAQ:
https://www.emergenc.com/faqs
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #69
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Wrong. No one is mandated to get a flu shot even if you have small children or are elderly.
Sort of wrong, it is mandated by my company (and probably all healthcare companies for employees that work with or around patients), which specializes in pediatrics. So unless I don’t feel like working for them anymore or don’t care about the ethics/morality of protecting our patients any way possible........sure it isn’t mandated.

How do you naysayers feel about the Hepatitis vaccines or Measles/Polio etc, both of which are either making a comeback or spreading faster because of lower vaccination rates?

Last edited by minn19; 09-21-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1451.50
      09-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #70
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

I always thought it odd that anti vaccination folk shun medical science, but will follow/agree with somebody like Jenny McCarthy and her like minded group. I feel terrible about what happened to her child and others like them, but I also don’t appreciate her (and again like minded people) spreading false information about vaccines that harm many more children and adults for that matter.

I also found it extremely odd that she rails against vaccines as they are supposedly harmful to children (which, some are/may be), but then decides to endorse a vape product, which is undoubtedly 100% harmful to young (any) people and spreading quickly thanks to endorsements such as hers. It is truly an odd world we live in sometimes.

Last edited by minn19; 09-21-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 6
RickFLM410883.50
Run Silent15127.00
Joekerr7926.00
Sea-Tac1451.50
      09-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #71
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Absolutely. I get the flu shot every single year. By choice.

It's a personal choice though.

However people who don't get the flu shot are stupid.

And being stupid is also a personal choice.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #72
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I always thought it odd that anti vaccination folk shun medical science, but will follow/agree with somebody like Jenny McCarthy and her like minded group. I feel terrible about what happened to her child and others like them, but I also don’t appreciate her (and again like minded people) spreading false information about vaccines that harm many more children and adults for that matter.

I also found it extremely odd that she rails against vaccines as they are supposedly harmful to children (which, some are/may be), but then decides to endorse a vape product, which is undoubtedly 100% harmful to young (any) people and spreading quickly thanks to endorsements such as hers. It is truly an odd world we live in sometimes.
I agree in general, it is extremely strange the behaviour of some people. Its the same in medicine - I can't tell you the number of stories my doctor friends have told me about patients with serious issues (like cancer) decide to refuse medical treatment because they don't believe in it, but happily turn to naturopaths and swallow whatever they recommend for pills and believe them wholeheartedly.

It is frustrating to me to see this. And then inevitably, they return, with the cancer having spread and there's not much the doctors can do at that point, and of course, who gets blamed - why the doctor of course. Not the naturopath who basically fricking killed them by feeding them a bunch of BS and letting the cancer spread. I have zero respect for naturopaths.

Where I say I agree in general, is that I am not certain if you are drawing a link to anti vaccers and those that don't get the flu shot. I don't think you can if you are. I refused the flu shot for a while, and probably will go back to not getting it, but I will always be vaccinated and all of my kids are (and will continue to be). The flu shot isn't the same really as other vaccines, because those vaccines are treating a disease that is predictable and well known in terms of pathology (I think would be the correct term, but I'm not in medicine). And so they are highly effective at preventing that disease from occurring.

The flu shot, not so much. It might, it might not. They have to guess at the strains and make their choice. Which is why I support anyone who chooses to get the flu shot, and those that don't equally - it's a guess at the end of the day.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      09-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #73
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
You are right, they are not "mandated" no one can mandate you to get a vaccine man. But unless you want the child or elder to get pneumonia then it's very recommended.
I guess I'll clarify, but if you think you can have a job in a daycare, hospital, or senior home without a flu shot, you are mistaken.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      09-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #74
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I guess I'll clarify, but if you think you can have a job in a daycare, hospital, or senior home without a flu shot, you are mistaken.

Schools don't require it (at least not around here).

I personally have never had one, mainly cause I don't get sick often and I'm too lazy to actually go in for one. My wife gets them (most) years since she is a teacher and at higher risk of getting sick.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #75
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Oh yeah I'm sure for those guys if you dont get a flu shot you get written up or something
      09-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #76
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I agree in general, it is extremely strange the behaviour of some people. Its the same in medicine - I can't tell you the number of stories my doctor friends have told me about patients with serious issues (like cancer) decide to refuse medical treatment because they don't believe in it, but happily turn to naturopaths and swallow whatever they recommend for pills and believe them wholeheartedly.

It is frustrating to me to see this. And then inevitably, they return, with the cancer having spread and there's not much the doctors can do at that point, and of course, who gets blamed - why the doctor of course. Not the naturopath who basically fricking killed them by feeding them a bunch of BS and letting the cancer spread. I have zero respect for naturopaths.

Where I say I agree in general, is that I am not certain if you are drawing a link to anti vaccers and those that don't get the flu shot. I don't think you can if you are. I refused the flu shot for a while, and probably will go back to not getting it, but I will always be vaccinated and all of my kids are (and will continue to be). The flu shot isn't the same really as other vaccines, because those vaccines are treating a disease that is predictable and well known in terms of pathology (I think would be the correct term, but I'm not in medicine). And so they are highly effective at preventing that disease from occurring.

The flu shot, not so much. It might, it might not. They have to guess at the strains and make their choice. Which is why I support anyone who chooses to get the flu shot, and those that don't equally - it's a guess at the end of the day.
Its sad the amount misinformation spread on the internet. It even drives me crazy to question professional judgement over something I read over the internet. Its fascinating; now doctors have gone from wanting to save your life vs trying to kill you. No one want to be accountable. "I aint taking them pills!!!!I aint got no blood sugar!!! He just be writing on his pad all day".....proceeds to check-out with 2l coke and candy....easier to blame the MD than to face the reality of ones's choices.

Just reading what is spread on the internet; or facebook is appalling. I mean you can just about get all the information in the world. But do you have real world experience? Can you determine if a clinical trial was biased to influence results? Were appropriate patient pops studied? Or just did some tard writing some BS you took to be true? I fall victim daily, so not trying to sound self-righteous. But I digress, no one wants to be put in their place.

I highly doubt MD's are tryna milk you with a flu shot. Shit brings an AVg profit of about 20 bucks.

For all you anti-vaxxers. Have yall ever had polio or small pox? Think that shits cool. Its only eradicated BECAUSE OF VACCINES. think about that. You don't have to get the flu shot. You also don't have to exercise and eat right. You ain't gotta do shit. But don't spread BS with you WEbMD degree....no personal attacks; just ranting
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      09-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #77
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah I'm sure for those guys if you dont get a flu shot you get written up or something
I would assume you would not be allowed to work anywhere near patient contact. It would be borderline negligent for the hospital for employees not to be vaccinated. To not create chaos, I assume you would be moved or something along those lines.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
catcher22294.00
      09-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #78
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not exactly, in my company you would be removed from any interaction with the patient. If they don’t have a job for you that doesn’t require that then you would be let go. But, thankfully everyone I work with takes patient safety seriously and not conspiracy theories/bad science or personal hunches.
Appreciate 1
catcher22294.00
      09-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #79
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Sort of wrong, it is mandated by my company (and probably all healthcare companies for employees that work with or around patients), which specializes in pediatrics. So unless I don’t feel like working for them anymore or don’t care about the ethics/morality of protecting our patients any way possible........sure it isn’t mandated.

How do you naysayers feel about the Hepatitis vaccines or Measles/Polio etc, both of which are either making a comeback or spreading faster because of lower vaccination rates?
I hear what you are saying. Some institutions or class of workers such as nurses, doctors, health care providers may be "required".

The term "mandated" is a legal term meaning: "...A judicial command, order, or precept, written or oral, from a court; a direction that a court has the authority to give and an individual is bound to obey..."

All that said though, even though it may be required at a place of employment there are, in fact, people with religious beliefs that prohibit them from receiving medical care and they would be well with in the bounds of legal precedent to say "no"to the requirement by their employer.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      09-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #80
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are right, they are not "mandated" no one can mandate you to get a vaccine man. But unless you want the child or elder to get pneumonia then it's very recommended.
And I think minn19 brings up a good point. Places of employment may require or strongly recommend vaccinations for flu, etc...
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      09-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #81
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I hear what you are saying. Some institutions or class of workers such as nurses, doctors, health care providers may be "required".

The term "mandated" is a legal term meaning: "...A judicial command, order, or precept, written or oral, from a court; a direction that a court has the authority to give and an individual is bound to obey..."

All that said though, even though it may be required at a place of employment there are, in fact, people with religious beliefs that prohibit them from receiving medical care and they would be well with in the bounds of legal precedent to say "no"to the requirement by their employer.
Dunno about the religious part. If they believe what they believe than they probably wouldn’t be caregivers as whatever they believe in is the ultimate caregiver. I’m not sure how that would fly either as ones personal belief or rights doesn’t give them the right to put somebody else in danger/ultimately cause death.
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1451.50
      09-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #82
Xeeh
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I don't think I've ever gotten one. That's not because I'm super against it or anything. It's just not something I ever think about going to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #83
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeeh View Post
I don't think I've ever gotten one. That's not because I'm super against it or anything. It's just not something I ever think about going to do.
Takes about 5-10 minutes at Walgreens. They even let you make an appointment so you don’t have to hang around waiting.
SakhirM410783.00
      09-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #84
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dunno about the religious part. If they believe what they believe than they probably wouldn’t be caregivers as whatever they believe in is the ultimate caregiver. I’m not sure how that would fly either as ones personal belief or rights doesn’t give them the right to put somebody else in danger/ultimately cause death.
A person or employee can always say "no" that they refuse to be vaccinated for the flu on whatever grounds they choose. If they are a health care worker, or a worker in a company that "requires" flu vaccinations and they refuse, there will obviously be ramifications. The employee may have to make a choice, i.e. the front door or get a flu shot, but and employer cannot force their employee to be vaccinated.

Its an interesting topic. Here's a cool link:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-man...tate-reqs.html
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      09-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #85
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
A person or employee can always say "no" that they refuse to be vaccinated for the flu on whatever grounds they choose. If they are a health care worker, or a worker in a company that "requires" flu vaccinations and they refuse, there will obviously be ramifications. The employee may have to make a choice, i.e. the front door or get a flu shot, but and employer cannot force their employee to be vaccinated.

Its an interesting topic. Here's a cool link:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-man...tate-reqs.html
Agreed and that was what I was saying as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #86
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

I get it every year. Got to get the software patch.
      09-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #87
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I have had a few, but am declining for the near future. Here's why:

1) If it's a vaccine, why do I need to get another one every year? My immune system should already have the code to fight off all the versions I've already been exposed to with previous shots AND exposure thru the wild.

2) related: Is it not just an (educated) guess as to which flu will run rampant this year? And going back to 1), if I've already had all those variations in the past, why to I need another needle prick (I'm allergic to needles, which really sucks being in the high risk group of insulin-dependent diabetic)

3)I'm still torn by the idea that this is given via injection. How many of you contract the flu via it being injected into your arm? Shouldn't the front line of the immune system be the area we train FIRST?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #88
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I have had a few, but am declining for the near future. Here's why:

1) If it's a vaccine, why do I need to get another one every year? My immune system should already have the code to fight off all the versions I've already been exposed to with previous shots AND exposure thru the wild.

2) related: Is it not just an (educated) guess as to which flu will run rampant this year? And going back to 1), if I've already had all those variations in the past, why to I need another needle prick (I'm allergic to needles, which really sucks being in the high risk group of insulin-dependent diabetic)

3)I'm still torn by the idea that this is given via injection. How many of you contract the flu via it being injected into your arm? Shouldn't the front line of the immune system be the area we train FIRST?
Great point!

Quote:
A flu vaccine is needed every season for two reasons. First, the body’s immune response from vaccination declines over time, so an annual vaccine is needed for optimal protection. Second, because flu viruses are constantly changing, the formulation of the flu vaccine is reviewed each year and updated as needed to keep up with changing flu viruses.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

I actually posed this question to my doctor years ago and she said that the Flu virus (as are most viruses) constantly mutate and evolve. Sucks for us.