Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
///M3NACE_F80 / F95
Sergeant First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 and F95 X5MC

Lowering springs with EDC?

I will be installing my EMD lowering springs. I have EDC, my question is will I be getting error codes? I have a few people telling me that I will and that I need to have it coded and I will lose the EDC function. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
///M4 F83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 convertible

I was always under the impression you'd get an error code only from replacing the shock absorber (full coilovers), requiring EDC delete modules. If you keep the factory shock absorber with EDC and install springs or height adjustable springs, you should be fine.

2008 BMW M3 E92 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige interior | 6 speed manual
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I installed my adjustable springs (MP-HAS) over the last two days in my driveway. No codes left over (well... none left after I plugged in that shock sensor properly and drove 5 miles). I did need to reconnect my battery overnight to roll up windows and lock trunk till morning, that's how I triggered the code (was on stands, EDC shocks were disconnected and removed). If I got the whole job done before connecting the battery this probably wouldn't have happened.

If you get work done at a shop make sure they're extra careful not to bang the sensors, they're super sensitive and break easy. Sometimes you need to push the connector on the sensor real good and lift the catch-clip with your thumbnail so it holds. I was pushing like crazy and the connector kept sliding loose, then I realized the clips were my issue.
      09-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Just installed my kw HAS kit in my garage last night. Kept battery disconnected the whole time. Maybe a few hour total, buttoned up and drives quite nice. No error codes and fwiw, not floaty like some mentioned. I paid attention to the alignment bolt and made sure that I adjusted as much as my eyes would allow for the change in geometry before I can schedule an alignment.

Don’t worry about it, keep the battery disconnected until done and then connect, step back and don’t look back.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3NACE_F80 View Post
I will be installing my EMD lowering springs. I have EDC, my question is will I be getting error codes? I have a few people telling me that I will and that I need to have it coded and I will lose the EDC function. Any help is greatly appreciated.
No you will not get error codes but start off driving easy so the car adapts to the lower ride height..... if not it starts to think something is broke.

Warning...when I ran the EMD's on the M4 they were way lower than they advertised.... I changed them in two weeks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3NACE_F80 View Post
Just springs you won't get any codes.
Appreciate 0