Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

10-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
M Mobility Kit missing on redelivery / 1200 mile service not done at VDC

My wife and I took redelivery of her Individual San Marino Blue M3 ZCP this past Friday at our dealer after our Euro Delivery in July. Upon inspection we noticed these two things:
  1. The M Mobility Kit was missing from the trunk. It simply wasn't there. It was definitely there at drop-off.
  2. The 1200 mile/2000 km run-in service wasn't done at the VDC.
I never totaled up our projected miles before our trip and I didn't think that we would exceed 1200 mile/2000 km, so I never factored in the service while in Europe. This actually happened between Grindelwald, Switzerland and Dijon, France, on a Saturday, two days before we dropped the car off at T.T. Car Transit at Charles de Gaulle Airport, after which we went on to Paris. The actual mileage at drop-off was 2483 km, so about 343 miles over.

On Saturday, August 11, a week after we returned home, we toured the Western VDC at Oxnard, CA with the LA Chapter BMW CCA. During the tour we were told, on more than one occasion, that if a car is received that is a Euro Delivery car, they check to see if the run-in service was done, and if not, it's done at the VDC. Apparently, they missed this on our car. Also, during their inspection, the VDC should have noticed that the M Mobility Kit was missing and replaced it at the VDC.

I mentioned this to our CA when we discovered it at redelivery. He e-mailed the VDC and was told that it would not have been removed at the VDC, that it must have been removed somewhere else. My dealer apparently decided that this wasn't his problem and suggested that I notify BMW Euro Delivery about the missing Kit. He apparently didn't mention that the run-in service wasn't done, so there was no reply from the VDC as to why they missed this. Since these are quality control issues, I e-mailed the Facility Manager at the Oxnard VDC to let him know of these oversights.

I've sent an e-mail to the BMW European Delivery department because from a quality control issue (parts missing on customer cars between drop-off and redelivery), they bear the overall responsibiility for this and they need to ensure that this type of thing doesn't happen in the future.

I decided that as the delivering dealer, it is their responsibility to obtain the missing Mobility Kit, so I looked up the components on realoem.com and included them in my reply to my dealer that he should provide them, including the hard foam storage tray.

Bit of a pain in the ass, since I now have to schedule a day to take the car in for the service and wait for the dealer to order the Mobility Kit components.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Reply from my dealer

"As soon as you submitted your complaint email to European Delivery, I forwarded it to my market manager for assistance (thanks for cc’ing me).

BMW North America doesn’t pay attention to dealer requests without a complaint or customer issue being raised first, so thank you for getting the ball rolling.

Obviously you are our customers so we will get this resolved even if BMW doesn’t act in good faith with us, but I’m hoping they will step up and help us out.

I’ll let you know as soon as we have the missing items."

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Reply from BMW European Delivery

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will certainly investigate into this further.

Unfortunately, our office does not do the replacements of the mobility kits.

This is actually going to be something that is done by the dealer and would be processed thru their parts department.

Should the dealer have any questions they may certainly contact our office."

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Reply from the Oxnard VDC Manager

"First of all let me apologize on behalf of the VDC for these issues. In regards to the 1200 KM service not being performed, I have researched the vehicle history and simply put, we dropped it! Plain and simple, this was all human error and clearly our oversight here at the VDC as a technician in the quick-repair area closed the service line without confirming if it was completed.

The mobility kit issue is a little tougher, because we were instructed by the European Delivery group that customers are supposed to remove small items so if something like that is missing, we would assume that it was removed by the customer. We have reached to them for further clarification as for sure it leaves room for questioning.

Again, my apologies and I hope this mishap does not keep you from buying a BMW (or a MINI) in the future.

PS: If you can send me a mailing address, I will send a small item as a goodwill token for the trouble caused."

Note the section that I bolded. It's my guess that the Mobility Kit was removed, without authorization, either at the TT Car Transit facility at Charles de Gaulle Airport, or by the trucking company/driver contracted to transport the car to Bremerhaven. But because it wasn't in the trunk the VDC assumed that it was removed by the customer. It's well known on BMW forums about European Delivery like this that if we want to keep these items, we need to remove the first aid kit and the warning triangle with bracket. But I've never seen anyone even asking whether they should remove the Mobility Kit.

I thought it was a nice gesture that he offered to send us a small item as a goodwill token, although this is completely unnecessary. It is certainly ironic and coincidental that we toured the VDC shortly after we returned from our Euro Delivery trip, specifically asked about the 1200 mile service, and our car was mistakenly overlooked.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Pardon my ignorance, what is the M mobility kit?

I waiting for redelivery for my car, I dropped my car off on Sept 21st in Nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Pardon my ignorance, what is the M mobility kit?

I waiting for redelivery for my car, I dropped my car off on Sept 21st in Nice.
I can't speak for Canada cars, but US M cars, including the F8x, have included a small air compressor that plugs into a 12V port, a small can of tire sealant, all secured in a hard foam storage tray that's strapped in the trunk. My 2006 M Roadster has one, as does my 2016 M4. I know that M2s also come with it.

Here's a photo:

and the breakdown of the three components on realoem.com. There's also a Velcro strap that wraps around it along with a pop-rivet that holds it in place. The three components retail for a combined ~$175 at ECS Tuning:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=71_0688

We almost dropped off in Nice when our plans were to do delivery in May and then go to the Monaco Grand Prix but then our trip got postponed to July so we went to the Grand Prix of Germany instead.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I’m sorry to hear about the mishaps but after reading all your posts I’m still a little confused...are your issues still unresolved or have they been addressed? From your posts I got that they forgot the 1200 mile service and that they are sending you a gift but what about the missing mobility kit? BMWNA said that it’s not their problem and advised you to take it up with your dealer and it seems that VDC is trying to imply that it’s not their responsibility. So what’s next or is it done with? Sorry I just couldn’t figure out the resolution to your problem. I too am waiting for redelivery and I will also be sure to check for that but I wanted to know what recourse I have if mines also missing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicchicken View Post
I’m sorry to hear about the mishaps but after reading all your posts I’m still a little confused...are your issues still unresolved or have they been addressed? From your posts I got that they forgot the 1200 mile service and that they are sending you a gift but what about the missing mobility kit? BMWNA said that it’s not their problem and advised you to take it up with your dealer and it seems that VDC is trying to imply that it’s not their responsibility. So what’s next or is it done with? Sorry I just couldn’t figure out the resolution to your problem. I too am waiting for redelivery and I will also be sure to check for that but I wanted to know what recourse I have if mines also missing.

Thanks!
My wife's M3 just arrived last Friday afternoon and today was the first day I had to address the problem as all recipients of my e-mails weren't at work until today. I had responses back from everyone by noon today as posted above.

Reader's Digest version: (with large type):

Our dealer initially said to contact BMW European Delivery, but in a subsequent e-mail reply, posted above, they said that they needed me to make a complaint before BMW would listen to them. They're going to order the parts and are expecting BMW to reimburse them.

BMW European Delivery is saying thanks for the info, but there's nothing we can do directly, contact your dealer.

The VDC said oops, the missed service was our fault, human error, sorry about that, let me send you a small items as a goodwill token and I hope this doesn't deter you from buying a BMW in the future. Also, if something is missing, they assume that the customer took it. They're going to contact BMW European Delivery for clarification of that policy in the future.

Bottom line, the dealer will order the Mobility System for us at no charge. I have to schedule the 1200 mile service with the dealer. We're leaving for a week-long trip tomorrow morning (not driving) so none of this will be resolved until late next week.

I've never heard of someone missing their Mobility System at redelivery, at least on this forum or on another forum, so this seems to be a first.

At redelivery, make sure that you open your trunk and lift up the trunk bottom. If you see the Mobility System on the right side, no problem. If you did drop-off at LOGIN/OUT at MUC, you probably won't have this problem.

If you exceeded 1200 miles/2000 km in Europe and didn't have your car serviced there, your dealer can run a check to see if the service was performed at the VDC. You can also go into the service menu in iDrive and see if it's still calling for the 1200 mile service. It not, it was probably done.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #9
DJM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

The mobility kit is not a small item. I'm not sure the tire sealant would pass airport security.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #10
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

When I did ED I was told anything left in the car is subject to the trash can. Luckily the car was redelivered with floor mats! :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
When I did ED I was told anything left in the car is subject to the trash can. Luckily the car was redelivered with floor mats! :-)
Are you serious?!?!?! I left my floor mats thinking that that is “part” of the car as a whole and didn’t take them out. Is there a chance they would redeliver it without the floor mats?!?!? Has anyone ever taken redelivery without the standard mats intact?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM4 View Post
The mobility kit is not a small item. I'm not sure the tire sealant would pass airport security.
Exactly! Not something that you would think about fitting into your luggage even if you packed for only a one week trip. Definitely a no-go for carry-on.

Someone along the way stole it, plain and simple.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I did ED, I was told that anything left in the car is subject to the trash can due to import customs. Luckily my floor mats made it :-)
They only dispose of items that don't meet US requirements and are not included for US delivery, namely the first aid kit and the warning triangle. Anything of a personal nature is simply subject to being stolen. Anything else in the car is considered standard equipment and shouldn't be removed by anyone. Car mats fall under the latter. The car is also required to be returned to the car with all standard equipment, because the car, and everything in it, is already owned by the customer.

In 2011, we bought micro fiber towels at a small store adjacent to a spray yourself car wash. We left them in the trunk and they were still there upon redelivery. No value in used micro fiber towels.

In 2016 and in 2018 we brought our own micro fiber towels (Costco) and a plastic bag to store them in and tossed them at the end of the trip.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you serious?!?!?! I left my floor mats thinking that that is “part” of the car as a whole and didn’t take them out. Is there a chance they would redeliver it without the floor mats?!?!? Has anyone ever taken redelivery without the standard mats intact?
I honestly can't tell whether your being serious or facetious. In any case:

I've never heard of this happening. However, at some prior point in time on previous models, floor mats were not considered standard equipment and therefore there were no floor mats in Euro Delivery cars. On US delivered cars, dealers often threw in the floor mats as a courtesy.

People traveled around Europe, where it rains a lot in the summer, and they're carpeting was a mess when they returned the car. A lot of people complained. Floor mats are now standard equipment.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #15
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Sorry, I was serious. I was just shocked at the post about the floor mats being thrown out, my post came across as too expressive, sorry. Thanks for clearing things up for me. Glad to know the floor mats will be intact when my car arrives!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #16
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Quote:
I was being a little bit cheeky :-). Of course the mats arrived safe and sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #17
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2018

Thanks for posting this, SD. We had left the mobility kit in the car when we dropped it off at the Munich airport, and it was there when we picked it up in the US. Someone definitely stole that thing!

Good to see that the dealer is pulling through for you, though.

We had some parking slips and entry tickets to a castle that we left in the cupholders back in Germany- and they were there when the car was delivered (the floormats too).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #18
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

FYI, just thought to check, and mine is missing also. Contacted the dealer now.

Mine was dropped off in June and re-delivered in August. Never thought to check until reading this post. So anyone getting redelivery, open the panel and see if it was removed. Now I have to play the battle of proving it was never there
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #19
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post

Mine was dropped off in June and re-delivered in August. Never thought to check until reading this post. So anyone getting redelivery, open the panel and see if it was removed. Now I have to play the battle of proving it was never there
Could you tell me where you dropped your car off? Was it in Paris? Thats where the OP dropped his car off. Maybe theres a connection?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post

Could you tell me where you dropped your car off? Was it in Paris? Thats where the OP dropped his car off. Maybe theres a connection?
Frankfurt drop off. West coast delivery. The styrofoam holder and straps were still there. The compressor and sealant were gone. Dealer is looking into it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:00 AM   #21
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

At least it sounds like it was all sorted out. I actually totally forgot to take things out of the car but luckily had everything as is when it arrived at my dealership. I left my hazard triangle, safety vests, USB stick, the mobility kit thing, etc etc. To my surprised, it was all there!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #22
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
FWIW, my M mobility kit did not make it back from my ED. The dealer mailed me a new complete new kit without any questions.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0