proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #287
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92V8 View Post
They've also updated the front end geo's so the steering is a lot better than the regular 981 S.
I take no exception to the other statements in your post, but this is not correct information. The geometry is unchanged, the handling is identical as both cars can have the same handling options.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #288
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

You are correct in that there are no published changes, but there may have been updates as part of normal in-life development.

I had a 2014 Cayman S on loan and now have a GTS. The steering in the GTS is better; has more weight and less of that dead feeling just off-centre. I mentioned this to a Porsche Experience Centre Instructor and his view was it was the probably the Sports Chassis that was the differentiator. At least until I pointed out that my car was equipped with the standard PASM.

Perhaps it is the PASM, perhaps a software update to the EPS, I can't be sure.

Other owners who've swapped from S to GTS have made similar comments.

UPDATE: My car has PTV and is the first p-car I've driven with this option. It may well be that.

Last edited by M4GTS; 08-01-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #289
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92V8 View Post
You are correct in that there are no published changes, but there may have been updates as part of normal in-life development.

I had a 2014 Cayman S on loan and now have a GTS. The steering in the GTS is better; has more weight and less of that dead feeling just off-centre. I mentioned this to a Porsche Experience Centre Instructor and his view was it was the probably the Sports Chassis that was the differentiator. At least until I pointed out that my car was equipped with the standard PASM.

Perhaps it is the PASM, perhaps a software update to the EPS, I can't be sure.

Other owners who've swapped from S to GTS have made similar comments.

UPDATE: My car has PTV and is the first p-car I've driven with this option. It may well be that.
May I know what's the depreciation of a CS under few months ownership in the UK?

Kind of surprising to see there are a number of owners upgrading from S to GTS....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #290
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

A lot! The 981C S has been around for nearly 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #291
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Why would anyone feel like they can't sleep at night for any car? It's just a car - it doesn't do much new and doesn't change your life (unless it's your first car - the first one is exciting.)
If you have to ask that question,you'll probably never get it
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #292
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
So, I have made my decision........

I' m ordering a Safire Blue Metallic Cayman GTS, and I`ll keep the the 1M.

All the driver goodies in it, PSAM, SCP, PTV, PDLS, PDK,Sports exhaust, PCCB, 20" Carrera Classic, Nav/Telephone stuff.

It was a hard decision for I had an E46 M3, E92 M3 and now a E82 1M (this car will be a keeper) and I had high expectatations over the F82 M4.
But IMHO it has outgrown it self, too big, too stretched, it has a certain puffy look over it like Jabba the Hut (no offense ) It lacks the outside sportiness IMHO that used to be typical M3 territory.

There is no doubt what so ever, the M3-4 are absolutely (very) fast cars, surplus on HP and Nm, and will kill a Cayman GTS straight line speed easy.

What the 1M has thought me; small, nimble and agile cars will do the job for me, so the Cayman will fit perfectly, and I will have the best of two worlds. A 2 seater PDK sportscar with a brilliant NA 6 boxer engine, an a 4 seater manual with a brilliant 6 IL TT engine.

In 2 or 3 years I,ll take on the coming M2, for now I`m enjoying these 2 cars !
Congrats on your new toy. I will most likely be ordering a Cayman S or GTS too. Tracking the 335i was fun for learning, but I now want a lighter car now to go faster in curves. The M4 will be quite an efficient weapon (road or track), but the weight (and partly the look) doesn't cut it for me.

An M2 would have been a better choice for me than the M4, due to less weight and size, but it will still be heavier than the Cayman and not look as good

So my mind is made up too. Will use the 335 for street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Couple of recommendations:
  • Consider the GTS interior package. It is a unique package that would increase resale value
  • If you intend to track with the car, I'd leave out PTV
  • Consider sport suspension if you don't mind a little harshness during DD work. Porsche is very good in shock calibration, and the sport suspension is probably the best they have come up with thus far. And the additional 10 mm drop in ride height makes the car's stance perfect even though on paper it is only 10 mm, the look is brilliant. Although it can be retrofit later on, the labor cost (not parts) will be more, replacing the A/R bars are a PITA.
  • Unless it is for visual reasons, PCCBs are not worth it on a Porsche as the steel brakes are truly superb. However, after you get your car, consider installing GT3 master cylinder for improve pedal feel and track duty.

Best of luck and enjoy the new car.
2 things I'll have to figure out for track duty, are whether to get PASM vs Sport Suspension and PTV/No PTV.

So why would you recommend no PTV for tracking? PTV seems to be the only way to get the Limited Slip Differential, no?

As for PASM, I was thinking of not getting it and going with the lowered 20mm sport suspension/ stiffer roll bars.
      08-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #293
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Oh! I wish others do not make the same mistake I made, which was to take a test drive of a Cayman S.

For those in the know, please comment on the PASM and PTV question above. Thanks

Ken
      08-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #294
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Oh! I wish others do not make the same mistake I made, which was to take a test drive of a Cayman S.

For those in the know, please comment on the PASM and PTV question above. Thanks

Ken
Indeed. Don't test drive one because it will tempt you.

As for your PTV question. I remember reading on Planet9 that it can cause excessive pad wear on the inner wheel as it modulates the brake on that wheel to help steer the car into the corner (among other things PTV does). I opted not to get it myself, but not for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #295
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:

Ken
PASM is truly a wonderful setup, quite compliant and very good performance on street and track. The Sport Suspension takes the setup at least 2 bars higher, it is probably the best setup, short of the GT3, that I have driven. If I were to order a Cayman it would be with the SS; however, the ground clearance drops to 4.7", which is exactly the same as 997.2 GT3 as it comes from factory, depending on where you live it should not be an issue, but it may be. It is noticeably harsher on the street, but definitely livable, again depending on where you live. Track performance of the SS setup is said to be literally 'superb.'

PTV is another electronic aid that helps rotate the car in corners with the combination of the inside rear brakes and the LSD. I come to hate such electronic aids as I think Porsche is lacking significant experience in this area. We had more electronic driver aide issues with the 997 generation than ever and I think it is getting worse. I would live it off, but many seem to think it improves lap times, to me it is a matter of learning to drive better. Also Porsche's LSD are very soft, many go through them within 2K miles, so essentially you have open diff after that, which actually works very well for the Cayman with the SS.

Disclaimers: All my personal opinion, I have no real data to back up my statements, except my personal experiences in these cars for several years.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #296
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Ground clearance can be an issue with the SS... Yes, it's only 10mm lower than PASM, but the car is already quite low even with PASM.

By the way, I read somewhere that the SS rear anti-roll bar is where most of the difference is found. However, this holds only when the car isn't equipped with PTV. When the car has PTV, the SS rear anti-roll bar isn't much different than the PASM one. I'm not 100% sure about this, but this has been my impression from some information I saw.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #297
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Thanks!

Quote:
PASM is truly a wonderful setup, quite compliant and very good performance on street and track. The Sport Suspension takes the setup at least 2 bars higher, it is probably the best setup, short of the GT3, that I have driven. If I were to order a Cayman it would be with the SS; however, the ground clearance drops to 4.7", which is exactly the same as 997.2 GT3 as it comes from factory, depending on where you live it should not be an issue, but it may be. It is noticeably harsher on the street, but definitely livable, again depending on where you live. Track performance of the SS setup is said to be literally 'superb.'

PTV is another electronic aid that helps rotate the car in corners with the combination of the inside rear brakes and the LSD. I come to hate such electronic aids as I think Porsche is lacking significant experience in this area. We had more electronic driver aide issues with the 997 generation than ever and I think it is getting worse. I would live it off, but many seem to think it improves lap times, to me it is a matter of learning to drive better. Also Porsche's LSD are very soft, many go through them within 2K miles, so essentially you have open diff after that, which actually works very well for the Cayman with the SS.

Disclaimers: All my personal opinion, I have no real data to back up my statements, except my personal experiences in these cars for several years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Ground clearance can be an issue with the SS... Yes, it's only 10mm lower than PASM, but the car is already quite low even with PASM.

By the way, I read somewhere that the SS rear anti-roll bar is where most of the difference is found. However, this holds only when the car isn't equipped with PTV. When the car has PTV, the SS rear anti-roll bar isn't much different than the PASM one. I'm not 100% sure about this, but this has been my impression from some information I saw.
Thanks for sharing! I'll go with the SS I can live with the lowered suspension and increased harshness. My other cars will be doing most of the city driving. Plus, having less electronic equipment means less costly parts to change.

As for the PTV, makes sense to also go analog. A little bit surprised though to hear the Cayman drives so well on track (with the SS) with an open diff.
      08-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #298
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
As for the PTV, makes sense to also go analog. A little bit surprised though to hear the Cayman drives so well on track (with the SS) with an open diff.
Diff is not necessary, but it does improve corner exit speeds on the track, but not the Porsche one If you feel you need a diff, I'd recommend the Guard Transmission LSD for the Cayman setup to your liking.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #299
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Diff is not necessary, but it does improve corner exit speeds on the track, but not the Porsche one If you feel you need a diff, I'd recommend the Guard Transmission LSD for the Cayman setup to your liking.
Got it sir! Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.
      08-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #300
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Car has arrived at the dealer.............yessssssss

Last edited by Romo; 08-12-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #301
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Car has arrived at the dealer.............yessssssss
Congratulations, looking great!
      08-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #302
Homsyboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 TB/SO

[QUOTE=kenneth;16442303]Congrats on your new toy. I will most likely be ordering a Cayman S or GTS too. Tracking the 335i was fun for learning, but I now want a lighter car now to go faster in curves. The M4 will be quite an efficient weapon (road or track), but the weight (and partly the look) doesn't cut it for me.

An M2 would have been a better choice for me than the M4, due to less weight and size, but it will still be heavier than the Cayman and not look as good

So my mind is made up too. Will use the 335 for street.

So that's assuming that you have both. What if you had to choose between one and had it as your only car? I drove the cayman gts today and my god it was amazing. The dealer offered me 2k off they one on the lot. I have an m4 ordered with no deposit coming next week so I need to make a decision quickly. So if u had to choose between one and it'll be your only car which would it be?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:24 AM   #303
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homsyboy View Post
So that's assuming that you have both. What if you had to choose between one and had it as your only car? I drove the cayman gts today and my god it was amazing. The dealer offered me 2k off they one on the lot. I have an m4 ordered with no deposit coming next week so I need to make a decision quickly. So if u had to choose between one and it'll be your only car which would it be?
I have a 981 Boxster S and an F80 M3. Get both! They're awesome contrasts to each other.

If you never have to haul people around, get the Cayman GTS. They are a lot more expensive than the F80, but a lot of fun to drive and visually differentiated enough to where they might do well in resale (although we'll see - with the upcoming Cayman GT4 and no limit on numbers of GTSs maybe not)

But, put it this way - you can always own a 4 door sedan, you can't own a 2 seater as your only car for your entire life if you get married and have kids, etc.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #304
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I have a 981 Boxster S and an F80 M3. Get both! They're awesome contrasts to each other.

If you never have to haul people around, get the Cayman GTS. They are a lot more expensive than the F80, but a lot of fun to drive and visually differentiated enough to where they might do well in resale (although we'll see - with the upcoming Cayman GT4 and no limit on numbers of GTSs maybe not)

But, put it this way - you can always own a 4 door sedan, you can't own a 2 seater as your only car for your entire life if you get married and have kids, etc.
Agree with you, however I'd say if you get married etc. then buy a second car, not as expensive as an M3 (e.g. a Passat)

Doesn't need to cost double. Also, I hear the GTS will be a limited run, so get your hands on it now as Porsche can pull the plug anytime.

As for GT4, it's quite possible it is turboed, so definitely faster but less engaging/enjoyable as this flat 6?
      08-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #305
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
I had to make this decision and went with the GTS. I have had it for 3.5 weeks and have seen and heard half a dozen M4s in the last two weeks at car meets and not once have I regretted the decision. That said, I haven't ridden in or driving an m4 to compare.
Attached Images

2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #306
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
I had to make this decision and went with the GTS. I have had it for 3.5 weeks and have seen and heard half a dozen M4s in the last two weeks at car meets and not once have I regretted the decision. That said, I haven't ridden in or driving an m4 to compare.
That looks incredible! I need to go back to my Porsche dealer and drive the GTS they got in.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #307
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
My growing family meant that I had to trade my cayman for an F80, but the cayman is a better performance car. By leaps and bounds. You made the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #308
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
My growing family meant that I had to trade my cayman for an F80, but the cayman is a better performance car. By leaps and bounds. You made the right choice.
Ha, my being 34 with no kid meant the cayman works.

So no more need to discuss.

Have kids - M4, don't have kids, cayman.
2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
Appreciate 0