Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #155
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkashanchi View Post
Great videos! Where/how are you mounting your camera?

Unfortunately this setup won't work with the F8X as you can see. I will need to find something that works too when I decide to order my F82.
Use a RAM mount with 4" arm on lower front corner of driver side rear window. You'll get tire action and can still see your hands. I'll have to do that once my seats go in until I get the half cage done.
      02-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #156
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Use a RAM mount with 4" arm on lower front corner of driver side rear window. You'll get tire action and can still see your hands. I'll have to do that once my seats go in until I get the half cage done.
I would do it on the inside as I have lost my camera and mount (I did have a RAM mount too) when I placed it on the outside.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #157
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest
Quote:
I would do it on the inside as I have lost my camera and mount (I did have a RAM mount too) when I placed it on the outside.
Did you go 4x4 or something? Haha

I always do a chin up on it to make sure it's on very securely.
      02-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #158
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you go 4x4 or something? Haha

I always do a chin up on it to make sure it's on very securely.
I fell down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca too far to the right, lol. Made a loud bump, forgot to check how secure the mount was. Sure enough next session, it fell off.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #159
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

Incoming noob video of Buttonwillow 13CW (2:04.0x):

Brake pads felt HORRIBLE, had much more fade than ever (6th event on the oem pads so they were very thin).. no confidence with braking late

6MT
Hankook RS3 265/35/18 and 285/35/18
Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
ER Catless Downpipes (no tune)
Euro MDM

I used Harry's Lap Timer for one session and the theoretical best lap was a 2:01.45 after 10ish laps including warm up and cool down laps.. hopefully I can get closer to this soon.

If any of the more experienced guys (especially at this track/configuration) can give me tips on how to be a faster/better driver I would really appreciate it. Just trying to learn as much as I can!

I apologize for the horrible angle and wind noise.

Thanks!

Last edited by YMB_M3; 03-01-2016 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #160
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

VIR NORTH: 1:47.55
VIR FULL: 2:15.90

Mods: Pagid RS29 + revozport brake cooling ducts

Stock ContiSportContact 5P tires (destroyed)

The brakes were 100% solid the entire day. Not even a hint of fade.... No rotor cracking no caliper discoloring.... Just perfect brakes...

....So, I'll blame my poor times on the tires + pressure... here goes:
Tires are garbage and the car "desperately" needs more negative camber on the front. But I have to be careful about saying the stock 5p tires are garbage. The camber issue may have been to blame.
Ran 36psi hot on the north course and after tearing up the LF tire, raised it to 45 psi hot for the full course. That seemed to help, & quite a surprisingly didn't seem to hurt handling all that much.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #161
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M3 View Post
Incoming noob video of Buttonwillow 13CW (2:04.0x):

Brake pads felt HORRIBLE, had much more fade than ever (6th event on the oem pads so they were very thin).. no confidence with braking late

6MT
Hankook RS3 265/35/18 and 285/35/18
Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
ER Catless Downpipes (no tune)
Euro MDM

I used Harry's Lap Timer for one session and the theoretical best lap was a 2:01.45 after 10ish laps including warm up and cool down laps.. hopefully I can get closer to this soon.

If any of the more experienced guys (especially at this track/configuration) can give me tips on how to be a faster/better driver I would really appreciate it. Just trying to learn as much as I can!

I apologize for the horrible angle and wind noise.

Thanks!

Hard to say without speed data but I didn't see anything obviously wrong, it's very similar to the line I take. How fast are you going through Riverside up to Phil Hill? I find you can get a lot of time through here - my biggest improvements were just carrying more speed through, same with going into Sunset right before the main straight - not messing up the approach.

I think it's hard to distinguish between what you could do better if your brakes aren't inspiring any confidence, that's a huge deal.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #162
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Hard to say without speed data but I didn't see anything obviously wrong, it's very similar to the line I take. How fast are you going through Riverside up to Phil Hill? I find you can get a lot of time through here - my biggest improvements were just carrying more speed through, same with going into Sunset right before the main straight - not messing up the approach.

I think it's hard to distinguish between what you could do better if your brakes aren't inspiring any confidence, that's a huge deal.
I'm not sure exactly, maybe exiting riverside with the speedo reading 85? That day I was experimenting with a couple lines from the exit of riverside to phil hill. In this video I came out of riverside slower than usual so that I could have enough track to stay full throttle all the way until phil hill.

I can't seem to come out of riverside much faster and be able to be WOT all the way until phil hill; not sure if that's better than exiting riverside a bit faster and having to let off, turn in for that left kink, and get back on throttle leading up to phil.

I think its time for some data acquisition for some definitive answers of what's faster lol.

Are you full throttle through there? I can't seem to tell in your 2:00 video if you lift a bit.

Also regarding the brakes, I haven't been to the track yet with non-oem brake pads so I'm excited to see what kind of difference it will make.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #163
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M3 View Post
I'm not sure exactly, maybe exiting riverside with the speedo reading 85? That day I was experimenting with a couple lines from the exit of riverside to phil hill. In this video I came out of riverside slower than usual so that I could have enough track to stay full throttle all the way until phil hill.

I can't seem to come out of riverside much faster and be able to be WOT all the way until phil hill; not sure if that's better than exiting riverside a bit faster and having to let off, turn in for that left kink, and get back on throttle leading up to phil.

I think its time for some data acquisition for some definitive answers of what's faster lol.

Are you full throttle through there? I can't seem to tell in your 2:00 video if you lift a bit.

Also regarding the brakes, I haven't been to the track yet with non-oem brake pads so I'm excited to see what kind of difference it will make.
Only lift a bit for the left kink - 50% throttle or so until I'm past the Apex, but full throttle the rest of the way up phil hill. I've played around a bit with the line going out of Riverside to see which way works best. I think I like coming as far to the right out of the turn as possible to prepare for that left kink. I trail brake into the right hand turn coming down off phil hill, same with entering sweeper.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #164
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post

The brakes were 100% solid the entire day. Not even a hint of fade.... No rotor cracking no caliper discoloring.... Just perfect brakes...

Tires are garbage and the car "desperately" needs more negative camber on the front. But I have to be careful about saying the stock 5p tires are garbage. The camber issue may have been to blame.
Ran 36psi hot on the north course and after tearing up the LF tire, raised it to 45 psi hot for the full course. That seemed to help, & quite a surprisingly didn't seem to hurt handling all that much.
Which group were you running in? I was there both days running in Blue Group (Non-BMW though).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #165
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Only lift a bit for the left kink - 50% throttle or so until I'm past the Apex, but full throttle the rest of the way up phil hill. I've played around a bit with the line going out of Riverside to see which way works best. I think I like coming as far to the right out of the turn as possible to prepare for that left kink. I trail brake into the right hand turn coming down off phil hill, same with entering sweeper.

Got it- I'll try to carry some more speed through riverside and lift a tad before that dreaded left kink. I also like to trail into phil and sweeper, it helps a lot to rotate the car. For cotton corners I see a lot of people who are running faster laps run over the curbs on the first right hander and second left to rotate the car, I'm going to also give that a try. I'll post a follow up video if I can make a better lap on the 26th.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #166
notoriousjje
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Clipping apexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post

Good to know about the brakes with the ducts. Did you get to track the car with pads and no ducts before this time? Curious if you could tell a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #167
JMon
FAST
Rep

I was going to do a test where I block off one of the vents and measure the temp differences Left Front vs Right Front after a few laps, unfortunately my temp sensor wasn't working so I didn't do that. Maybe Next time.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #168
notoriousjje
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Clipping apexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Has anyone ran PBIR?
Not in the F80, but I have in all other kind of cars.

Track is pretty meh...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #169
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon
I was going to do a test where I block off one of the vents and measure the temp differences Left Front vs Right Front after a few laps, unfortunately my temp sensor wasn't working so I didn't do that. Maybe Next time.
I would expect the left/right temps to be unequal even without blocking, depending on track layout.
But am exited what you get.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #170
JMon
FAST
Rep

I'll establish a baseline without cooling on both sides to see how unequal it is to start with.
Then full cooling. See how unequal that is.
Then block off one side.
See if the data is definite enough to draw any conclusions.
Looking for big obvious differences
like 100 degrees. Not 15

FYI. I have another thread on the brakes with pictures of the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #171
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M3
Quote:

Got it- I'll try to carry some more speed through riverside and lift a tad before that dreaded left kink. I also like to trail into phil and sweeper, it helps a lot to rotate the car. For cotton corners I see a lot of people who are running faster laps run over the curbs on the first right hander and second left to rotate the car, I'm going to also give that a try. I'll post a follow up video if I can make a better lap on the 26th.
I'll be there on 26th too
      03-11-2016, 01:46 AM   #172
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, I'll see you out there. I've watched quite a few of your Buttonwillow videos on youtube and am excited to see some of those slides in person!

Seeing those make me want to start driving with traction completely off rather than euro mdm... I've been practicing car control with my G27/Gran Turismo 5 simulator at home but have way less to lose playing that game haha.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #173
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, I'll see you out there. I've watched quite a few of your Buttonwillow videos on youtube and am excited to see some of those slides in person!

Seeing those make me want to start driving with traction completely off rather than euro mdm... I've been practicing car control with my G27/Gran Turismo 5 simulator at home but have way less to lose playing that game haha.
True lol

I first got up to speed with MDM and then turned everything off and slowed down again. Then slowly got up to speed and then some. Just have to slow it down and learn control and you won't hit anything. Besides you gotta look where you want to go so in fact I don't even see walls anymore.
      03-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #174
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True lol

I first got up to speed with MDM and then turned everything off and slowed down again. Then slowly got up to speed and then some. Just have to slow it down and learn control and you won't hit anything. Besides you gotta look where you want to go so in fact I don't even see walls anymore.

I'm thinking I should do the same soon so that I don't develop any bad habits that euro mdm may be masking. Plus tracking with everything off looks way more fun... My biggest fear is spinning at a high speed and rolling by the left kink before phil hill and also the left before bus stop. I'll probably give it a go half way through the day on the 26th, we'll see how it turns out. Maybe I'll get track insurance for the first time.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #175
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
True lol

I'm thinking I should do the same soon so that I don't develop any bad habits that euro mdm may be masking. Plus tracking with everything off looks way more fun... My biggest fear is spinning at a high speed and rolling by the left kink before phil hill and also the left before bus stop. I'll probably give it a go half way through the day on the 26th, we'll see how it turns out. Maybe I'll get track insurance for the first time.
I can sit in a session if you want. What group are you running?
      03-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #176
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True lol

Quote:
I can sit in a session if you want. What group are you running?
I'd appreciate that, I'm running in the intermediate group. I'm assuming you'll be in the advanced?
Appreciate 0