proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Video: M3 VS Giulia Quadrifoglio Owners' real life comparison (UK versions)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Probably the 1st owners' comparison... Enjoy the view!

ando2002.00
Dackelone10588.50
brava09767.00
The_M6248.00
chief208.00
      03-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
The sub texts made for a good laugh.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 02:36 AM   #3
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Couldn't they have picked a better day for such a comparison.
      03-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

yet another video from an annoying all-capslock-clickbait car youtuber that I cannot delete from my recommended video list?

Appreciate 9
Ian1973736.00
Lorde266.00
AndrewC198910931.00
Jadar1752.50
raysspl991.50
      03-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Have both cars and I think there summary is pretty accurate. The M3 is more clinical (German!) whereas the Giulia Quadrafoglio is more emotional (Italiano!). The M3 is more daily driving flexible (fold down rear seats, infotainment), but the engine in the Alfa is handsdown better. It also seems to put the power tonthe ground better than the M3 despite having 80 more horsepower. Always loved the steering in my M3 and think it is the best in this class, however, the Giulia is much better balanced on the limit. I suspect the torque vectoring is better than the M3's limited slip diff.

The interior quality on the BMW is only slightly better, but the Alfa's interior and exterior design are pretty special in person. Lastly, the Alfa in Race mode sounds a 1,000x better than the M3. My M3 had an MPE, but though louder than the Giulia, the Alfa sound like a Ferrari underload. Just amazing.

Only time will tell on the general ownership experience and reliability, but hard to see it eclipsing the M3. I think the next Gen M3 will leapfrog over the Giulia QV out of absolute necessity, but if this is Alfa's entry point, I can't even fathom where they go from here, other than adding a few missing features, and adding even more horsepower. Lastly, Pogea Racing already has a 600hp tune on for the Giulia Quadrafoglio. Given how much faster the Alfa is than the M3, I'm not even sure the tune is desirable at this point. These cars are already approaching too fast for the public roads as is.

If you haven't seen, heard, ridden in, or driven the new Quadrafoglio yet...phone a friend who has access to one. BTW...my number's unlisted now!! ;-)
Appreciate 13
ecf34304.00
bmwjpn66.00
mookie45770.00
DeeKay553.00
ando2002.00
nathanm4683.00
njw58.00
Bbb34730.50
chief208.00
      03-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Sport+ steering in M3 does not feel anywhere close to perfection at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
Lastly, the Alfa in Race mode sounds a 1,000x better than the M3. My M3 had an MPE, but though louder than the Giulia, the Alfa sound like a Ferrari underload. Just amazing.
It may sound 'better', but no turbocharged engine has ever sounded 'good'

Comments like 'it sounds like a Ferrari' are laughable except if you're talking about the new turbocharged Ferraris that sound like crap
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Comments like 'it sounds like a Ferrari' are laughable except if you're talking about the new turbocharged Ferraris that sound like crap
You may have to leave the "turbocharged cars sound bad" clichee behind at some point and just admit it...the Alfa Quadrifoglio just sounds great.
Appreciate 6
      03-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

I hate turbo engine sound in general (even hate the current M3 sound), but the QV is quite amazing.
Appreciate 3
      03-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Thought the passenger looked a wee bit nervous as to his friend's driving. Maybe my passengers look this way too. Sometimes, they get awful quiet. Except for wifey who says "Is it time to slow down now?"
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
It also seems to put the power tonthe ground better than the M3 despite having 80 more horsepower.
how much of that though is PSS on the M3 vs cup 2 tires on the alfa (or did you switch your m3 to cup tires also)
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      03-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Have both cars and I think there summary is pretty accurate. The M3 is more clinical (German!) whereas the Giulia Quadrafoglio is more emotional (Italiano!). The M3 is more daily driving flexible (fold down rear seats, infotainment), but the engine in the Alfa is handsdown better. It also seems to put the power tonthe ground better than the M3 despite having 80 more horsepower. Always loved the steering in my M3 and think it is the best in this class, however, the Giulia is much better balanced on the limit. I suspect the torque vectoring is better than the M3's limited slip diff.

The interior quality on the BMW is only slightly better, but the Alfa's interior and exterior design are pretty special in person. Lastly, the Alfa in Race mode sounds a 1,000x better than the M3. My M3 had an MPE, but though louder than the Giulia, the Alfa sound like a Ferrari underload. Just amazing.

Only time will tell on the general ownership experience and reliability, but hard to see it eclipsing the M3. I think the next Gen M3 will leapfrog over the Giulia QV out of absolute necessity, but if this is Alfa's entry point, I can't even fathom where they go from here, other than adding a few missing features, and adding even more horsepower. Lastly, Pogea Racing already has a 600hp tune on for the Giulia Quadrafoglio. Given how much faster the Alfa is than the M3, I'm not even sure the tune is desirable at this point. These cars are already approaching too fast for the public roads as is.

If you haven't seen, heard, ridden in, or driven the new Quadrafoglio yet...phone a friend who has access to one. BTW...my number's unlisted now!! ;-)
So the M3 is the practical every day choice and the Alfa the drivers car? What the hell happened BMW?!
      03-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

I watch a video like this and I just can't help but think we truly live in the best time ever to be a car enthusiast.
Appreciate 6
mc3456389.50
Xerxes480130.00
lab_rat394.50
      03-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:

The Alfa absolutely does not have 80 hp more than the BMW. Probably closer to 30hp, if the Alfa performs as listed, which the BMW does not do.

Where they should go from here is focus on quality. Every review I have read or watched they mention the Alfa breaks down after or during.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
how much of that though is PSS on the M3 vs cup 2 tires on the alfa (or did you switch your m3 to cup tires also)
I intially wondered the same thing before getting to drive a Quadrifolio, but now having had a chance to drive them back to back daily for the last two weeks, I can honestly save it's not just street tires versus R compound tires.

The suspension on the Alfa is both firm and compliant. I drove the car yesterday on a bitterly cold 11 degree cold day, and even in those conditions, the Alfa felt more sure footed. R Compound tires alone don't behave that way in sub-freezing temps. There is something else mechanical going on here. I was even driving it in Race mode (traction control off) versus my M3 on Blizzaks. The Alfa still seems to put the power down better even on full boil.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-12-2017 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #16
Rudeboy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Quote:

So the M3 is the practical every day choice and the Alfa the drivers car? What the hell happened BMW?!
Never saw a Giulia in person but from the pictures and videos, imho the M3 is better looking and way more aggressive in styling, that V shape grill just don't do it for me. As for performance, they seem more exited in the M3 than the Giulia!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #17
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
The Alfa absolutely does not have 80 hp more than the BMW. Probably closer to 30hp, if the Alfa performs as listed, which the BMW does not do.
Trust me, Dude, I been driving them both daily for last two weeks. The Alfa is definitely faster. I've compared it my M3 both when tuned and untuned. It sure as shit feels like a true 80hp difference to me. There is no denying that. I love my M3 but it starts weasing around 5,000 RPM while the Alfa is just warming up. It is very noticeable and very fast.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4683.00
      03-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #18
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
Never saw a Giulia in person but from the pictures and videos, imho the M3 is better looking and way more aggressive in styling, that V shape grill just don't do it for me. As for performance, they seem more exited in the M3 than the Giulia!
First off, it's "excited", not "exited", and you'd better watch the video again. The M3 is an awesome car, but no longer king of the hill at this particular moment. However, 12-18 months from now, it will definitely leapfrog the Alfa.

Never try to compare cars solely based on pictures. All cars present differently in person except the ATS-V. That's ugly any way you slice it.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-06-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Certainly seems that way to me. The Alfa is a more joyful, fun drive than the M3, and that's really saying something, but there are compromises in it's utility (slightly smaller trunk, less storage, no fold down seats, only 6 preset radio stations, a central media display that is hard to view in the direct sunlight, etc.), BUT in so far as engine, handling, ride, engine sound, and exclusivity, the Alfa is miles ahead. Those items make accepting the convenience compromises palatable.

People need to realize that just because the Alfa accels in certain driving dynamics, that doesn't mean the M3 is dogshit. It's quite the opposite, the Alfa is better in most ways, but the M3 feels more solidly connected overall. The Alfa corners better, yet the M3 feels more precise, like an extension of your body. The Alfa is incredibly capable yet a little removed from steering response.

As similar as these two cars are, is also how different they are from one another. You have to spend a few hundred miles behind the wheel of the Alfa to see what I mean. I was devastated at the thought of getting rid of my M3, but 560 miles into the Alfa, I can't get it out ofvmy garage fast enough, avoid the heart tugging comparisons. Eventually, I will be back to an M3. It's just a matter of when.

Anyway, that is actually a ringing endorsement of both cars. They are both head and shoulders above the competition. The C63s is no longer in the conversation in my mind.
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
nathanm4683.00
      03-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I intially wondered the same thing before getting to drive a Quadrifolio, but now having had a chance to drive them back to back daily for the last two weeks, I can honestly save it's not just street tires versus R compound tires.

The suspension on the Alfa is both firm and compliant. I drive the car yesterday on a bitterly cold 11 degree cold day, and even in those conditions, the Alfa felt more sure footed. R Compound tires alone don't behave that way in sub-freezing temps. There is something else mechanical going on here. I was even driving it in Race mode (traction control off) versus my M3 on Blizzaks. The Alfa still seems to put the power down better even on full boil.
I'll take your word for it. thanks for sharing

Am I reading that right that you are driving with traction control off, on R tires, in 11F weather?

Hope I misunderstood, be careful out there....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

The thing i love about m3 is all-around balance. Giulia is a better driver 's car but lack in tech. Even out dated f8x(tech wise) is better than alfa. However, giulia 's huge metal paddle shifter is amazing! Saw it and touch it on autoshow last month. Love it
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #22
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

I love modern cars for this reason. Every car in this segment is good in its own way. I think BMW still had the edge when it came to "overall best car" but the Alfa really came in and shook things up.

Can someone tell me if the Alfa has a manual option. Heard it was squashed but have yet to confirm it.
Appreciate 0