GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #1079
Duck Sauce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto M3

Is there any kind of coding required if I were to install the V1s on a ZCP?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #1080
M4rkM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Is there any kind of coding required if I were to install the V1s on a ZCP?
No
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #1081
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
I haven't logged that many miles since the install but I personally don't feel any noticeable differences. I think the spring ratings on the V2 and ZCP fronts are pretty close to one another. Looks wise it's fantastic. I'm no longer rocking the 4x4 stance.

Before

After

I have the exact same car and front springs only is definitely the way to go. Looks awesome and the gaps look equal front to and back. How is the ride after 8 months or so? Does it feel like factory? I also have that carbon front splitter and wondering how much more often you scrape with the front lowered.....
Appreciate 1
yjypm219.00
      06-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #1082
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
After reading through a bit of this thread and learning quite a bit, I'm left with a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on Eibach v2's.

1) I think the back ride height is perfect and I don't want to mess with it. So I plan on just installing the front Eibach v2 springs and calling it good. With that in mind, would I run into any handling issues with OEM springs in the back and the Eibach V2's in the front? It seems like a couple people have done this without issue, but I'm still curious for definitive answers.

2) I'm new to the BMW world and specifically the M3 platform. I'm seeing mention of needing to re-code the EDC (am I saying that right?) after spring install. Above, someone asked if this was necessary on the ZCP trim and the answer looks to be that it is not required. However, I'm now curious if DCS coding is required after spring install on a non-ZCP M3? Another member asked this in post #1000 of this thread, which was followed up by a couple people wanting to know the same thing. But as far as I can tell there haven't been any answers provided.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DadVibes; 06-08-2019 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #1083
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
After reading through a bit of this thread and learning quite a bit, I'm left with a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on Eibach v2's.

1) I think the back ride height is perfect and I don't want to mess with it. So I plan on just installing the front Eibach v2 springs and calling it good. With that in mind, would I run into any handling issues with OEM springs in the back and the Eibach V2's in the front? It seems like a couple people have done this without issue, but I'm still curious for definitive answers.

2) I'm new to the BMW world and specifically the M3 platform. I'm seeing mention of needing to re-code the EDC (am I saying that right?) after spring install. Above, someone asked if this was necessary on the ZCP trim and the answer looks to be that it is not required. However, I'm now curious if DCS coding is required after spring install on a non-ZCP M3? Another member asked this in post #1000 of this thread, which was followed up by a couple people wanting to know the same thing. But as far as I can tell there haven't been any answers provided.

Thanks in advance!
No coding is required for spring fitment, in saying that the non-ZCP responds well to the CS coding of the EDC so if you haven't done that I'd give it a go.

You're first question is subjective to personal feel and perception, I've seen no complaints from people that have done the front only.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #1084
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley74 View Post
No coding is required for spring fitment, in saying that the non-ZCP responds well to the CS coding of the EDC so if you haven't done that I'd give it a go.

You're first question is subjective to personal feel and perception, I've seen no complaints from people that have done the front only.
I appreciate the response. Thank you.

Good to hear that no coding is necessary. I'm not one to shy away from tuning/coding, coming from the Audi world. But I was really hoping to hold off on figuring that stuff out until later down the line. I'm happy to hear that I won't need to mess with it for the springs. I suppose I'll start out with the front to get the look where I want it. Then, if handling takes a negative impact, I'll tackle the rears as well.

My other concern is adjusting the headlight vertical leveling with the front end dropping 0.8". But, in my opinion the cut-off lines of the HID headlights sit a bit high for my liking, as is. Dropping the front a bit might actually align them where I'd prefer them anyway.

One last thing I'm curious about, is what the ground clearance is from the bottom of the front bumper (with no added lip) to the ground, with the Eibach v2s installed. I wonder if anyone has that measurement that they could provide?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #1085
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley74 View Post

I appreciate the response. Thank you.

Good to hear that no coding is necessary. I'm not one to shy away from tuning/coding, coming from the Audi world. But I was really hoping to hold off on figuring that stuff out until later down the line. I'm happy to hear that I won't need to mess with it for the springs. I suppose I'll start out with the front to get the look where I want it. Then, if handling takes a negative impact, I'll tackle the rears as well.

My other concern is adjusting the headlight vertical leveling with the front end dropping 0.8". But, in my opinion the cut-off lines of the HID headlights sit a bit high for my liking, as is. Dropping the front a bit might actually align them where I'd prefer them anyway.

One last thing I'm curious about, is what the ground clearance is from the bottom of the front bumper (with no added lip) to the ground, with the Eibach v2s installed. I wonder if anyone has that measurement that they could provide?
You don't need a drop to adjust the cutoff line of your HID. There are screws in your headlights for that purpose.

For handling, with spring rate being almost identical and a mild drop you shouldn't feel much of a difference to stock.

Btw you had b8 s4? I was running eibach pro kit on my b8.5 s5 before I switch to m3.

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #1086
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjypm View Post
You don't need a drop to adjust the cutoff line of your HID. There are screws in your headlights for that purpose.

For handling, with spring rate being almost identical and a mild drop you shouldn't feel much of a difference to stock.

Btw you had b8 s4? I was running eibach pro kit on my b8.5 s5 before I switch to m3.

Sounds good!

On my B8.5 S4, I had H&R springs on the stock shocks. It was a solid setup. From what I hear these Eibachs are as good or better. Excited to get that front dropped down a bit. Hopefully I won't scrape the front bumper around town too much.
Appreciate 1
yjypm219.00
      06-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #1087
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry if this has already been answered. New to the lowering scene. So does changing out springs negate EDC?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:46 AM   #1088
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Sorry if this has already been answered. New to the lowering scene. So does changing out springs negate EDC?
No
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #1089
ccarte45
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

It has probably been answered here but can someone specify how to purchase the V1 vs V2 F82 springs? I want the V2 but I don’t see these different options listed when I got to buy them. Or is the V2 the only thing available now when purchased new, being a new version?

Last edited by ccarte45; 06-23-2019 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:03 AM   #1090
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

S4toM3 - Did you pull the trigger yet? I'm also contemplating doing only front "V2" springs but don't want the ride quality to degrade in any way. Otherwise I may just buy the much more expensive MP HAS system.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #1091
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Just got done installing mine, the front driver's side sits ~1/4 inch higher than the passenger, in the rear it's the passenger side that sits marginally higher.

The car ever so slightly pulls to the left, getting an alignment tomorrow hopefully
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #1092
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
S4toM3 - Did you pull the trigger yet? I'm also contemplating doing only front "V2" springs but don't want the ride quality to degrade in any way. Otherwise I may just buy the much more expensive MP HAS system.
Sorry, just saw this. I have not yet pulled the trigger. Before ordering the Eibachs, I called two local shops and got an initial price for install of $1700 and another one for $1400. Both of which require me providing the springs.

I've had lowering springs/coilovers installed on many previous cars and this is the most outrageous pricing I've been given. It's high enough to keep me at bay, for now. In fact, some have told me that it's cheaper to have the dealer install the HAS kit.

However, apparently there is another local shop with great reviews that may have more reasonable pricing. I'll give them a call sometime this week to see what they say. But, if it's still $1k+ I'm honestly just gonna live with the stock suspensions setup until more time passes and I get comfortable attempting the install myself, which likely wouldn't be this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Just got done installing mine, the front driver's side sits ~1/4 inch higher than the passenger, in the rear it's the passenger side that sits marginally higher.

The car ever so slightly pulls to the left, getting an alignment tomorrow hopefully
If you haven't gotten an alignment yet, I'd most certainly bet that the issues you are having are from that alone. Get the alignment and report back.
      07-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #1093
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Just ordered a set of the Eibach v1 Springs (E10-20-031-09-22). They should be here by early next week. I have an appointment setup for install and alignment next Thursday.

I was initially going to go with the v2's but after seeing THIS GUY'S experience, as well as some others reporting that the v2's drop the front too far, I decided the v1 is the way to go for me, for just that tiny bit of extra ground clearance.

Will report back with pics and experience once those get installed next week.
      07-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #1094
Duck Sauce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto M3

Quote:
Just ordered a set of the Eibach v1 Springs (E10-20-031-09-22). They should be here by early next week. I have an appointment setup for install and alignment next Thursday.

I was initially going to go with the v2's but after seeing THIS GUY'S experience, as well as some others reporting that the v2's drop the front too far, I decided the v1 is the way to go for me, for just that tiny bit of extra ground clearance.

Will report back with pics and experience once those get installed next week.
Any update? I too am about to follow the same route and I'm curious what to expect. I'm also leaning towards installing them on my own after watching Tommy's HAS install video.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #1095
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Any update? I too am about to follow the same route and I'm curious what to expect. I'm also leaning towards installing them on my own after watching Tommy's HAS install video.
I actually installed my Eibach v1's last night. As long as you have the necessary tools, you should definitely tackle the project yourself. It took myself and a buddy, just over 2 hours from start to finish. And I was moving at a pretty slow/cautious pace while double checking every aspect of the install.

During the process, my buddy only needed to lend a hand while jacking up the strut assembly as I was guiding the top of the strut spindle into place. However, even that could be done solo, if you wanted.

Other members claimed that this was the easiest spring install they had ever done. I took that with a grain of salt. However, I can now also say that this truly is the easiest spring install I've done. And I've done 5 previous to this, on different makes/models. Especially since there is absolutely no need for a spring compressor, if you follow the video guide linked at the bottom of this post. In fact, it's so easy that it REALLY annoys me that all the shops I called claimed 6+ hours and upwards of $1700 to install just the fronts. Absurd.

Here are some initial before/afters. Keep in mind that the car has not been driven since install (alignment scheduled for this afternoon), so they still need to settle a bit. But even in current form, they've already dropped the front by almost 3/4". Once settled, they should end up somewhere between 3/4" and 1" drop.

*Pics removed. Updated pics in post #1098*

Install video I followed:

Link to exact springs I bought: (3 total days from order to delivery, coming to US from Germany. Crazy fast shipping!)
https://www.tunershop.co.uk/eibach-p...e-f32-f82.html

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-22-2019 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #1096
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Just looking for opinions here. I currently have Eibach V1's on my M3, but I'm looking to go a bit lower, primarily in the front. Is it worth trying the V2's or should I commit to a height adjustable suspension (preferably M Performance HAS)? I want to keep stock-like ride quality and am not looking to do coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #1097
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

S4toM3 - Any updated pics since driven? Curious as to your thoughts on ride performance vs. stock and also what the final resting drop is. At $220 shipped to my door (thanks for the link), that's an easy pill to swallow vs. the MP HAS system.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #1098
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
S4toM3 - Any updated pics since driven? ...
I just went out and snapped some pics for you (please excuse the dirty car).

The alignment was performed Friday and I've driven about 200 miles since. So I think it's safe to say everything is pretty much settled in its final state. Below are some updated before/afters. Overall, it looks like it settled just barely over that advertised 0.8" drop. As far as "finger" gap goes, it's 1 finger in the back and ~1.5 fingers in front.

As far as driving feel... ride quality feels the same as stock. Not noticeably firmer or softer. However, it does seem to feel more solid in turns with less front end "floating" or body roll. I also noticed that the front end doesn't seem to lift nearly as much under hard acceleration, which I'm pleased to report.

Overall, I am very happy and, like you said, at $220 shipped, you really can't go wrong. You'll also be amazed at how fast they get to your door from Germany. It almost doesn't make sense.

I measured to see what the 1.2" drop (which many report the V2's provide) would look like and I'm quite happy I went with the V1's. The V2's would have less gap than the OEM rears (less than 1 finger) and would make front ground clearance even more iffy. This would provide a more flush look but just isn't realistic on a daily driver, in my case.

Before

Immediately after install

After alignment and ~200 miles driven

Before

Before

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-22-2019 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #1099
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks S4toM3. Highly informative post. My car came with the carbon fiber front splitter from the factory so I would hope with only the v1 front springs that the scraping would be minimal. Maybe wishful thinking though. Thanks again for the detailed response!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #1100
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks S4toM3. Highly informative post. My car came with the carbon fiber front splitter from the factory so I would hope with only the v1 front springs that the scraping would be minimal. Maybe wishful thinking though. Thanks again for the detailed response!
Of course!

Seeing how low the bottom of the front bumper sits now, I'm confident that I'll have some inevitable scraping, which is just an unfortunate side effect.

I'm thinking about picking up some CF Front Side Splitters to protect the lowest part of the bumper. Pricey for what will eventually get beaten up. But better than paying $2k for a replacement bumper down the road.