Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-20-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Anyone actually installed Catted DP's and found them to be good?

From what I have searched on the forums, catted dp's offer very little performance gain and provide a bit more sound.
I had catless dp's on my 335 and there was a bit of smell, but the noise was fantastic.
Also guys that have had catless dp's on 335's and now have them on the M3/4, say that the smell isn't as much.
Can anyone comment on that please?
Thanks,
Jp.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
From what I have searched on the forums, catted dp's offer very little performance gain and provide a bit more sound.
I had catless dp's on my 335 and there was a bit of smell, but the noise was fantastic.
Also guys that have had catless dp's on 335's and now have them on the M3/4, say that the smell isn't as much.
Thanks,
Jp.
The DP setup on F8x are different from the F3x.

I'm pretty certain if you do straight DP w/ Stock Exhaust, the smell won't be that bad since you're retaining all of the cats in the middle. F3x exhausts aren't the same. F3x is about half the section of compared to how the F8x exhausts are.

So your friend is right. The smell would only get worse if you change rear and mid as well, going full length.

I gotten to know this pretty well since I been going back and forth on my decisions for a month + now.

supremepower or tom @ eas or Alex from ACM West, or anyone really can correct me if I'm wrong.
      01-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Smell is still horrible with catless dp and stock exhaust .. I thought it won't be as their still cats in the mid pipe .. But it still smell pretty bad ...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
M4RAUDR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AY M4

Quote:
Thanks,
Jp.
I can only speak for a full exhaust replacement with catless dp's. The smell is bothersome - no two ways about it. If you start your car in the garage - even if you back out immediately - the garage will be full of fumes. If you are moving 30+ mph and your windows are down, you are usually ok. Slower speeds and idling with windows down, you will get annoying fumes. It's not even so much just the smell - it's that it can give you a nasty headache really fast - the fumes are potent. Windows up solves all problems and you don't notice them at all. It's definitely a tradeoff. Sounds great, but you pay a price.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:02 AM   #5
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

I have catless DPs and the MPE which retains the 2nd cats. No rotten smell. I was told by people who have done it, that taking the 2nds out will smell bad. This info is only for the M4. I don't know about other cars (335 etc.)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:28 AM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnazzy View Post
I have catless DPs and the MPE which retains the 2nd cats. No rotten smell. I was told by people who have done it, that taking the 2nds out will smell bad. This info is only for the M4. I don't know about other cars (335 etc.)
Any car with an exhaust system setup like a F8x (full length, rear, mid and downpipes) will be the same. F30x or any more mainstream car models (4, 5 series etc) won't go this far when it comes to exhausts.

It depends on how you handle the fumes, some people can, some can't. If you have the habit of keeping your windows up then it honestly might not matter. I was around TwinMTurbo car for a few and he kept his rear section with Mid AA + DPs and I wasn't bothered much by the fumes but we were outside then so take that as it is.

If you keep rear or mid stock, the fumes shouldn't be EXTREME, but you will still smell it because you changed the downpipes.

As long as you change the DPs, you will smell the fumes regardless. Then there is the whole engine check light and SMOG if you plan to keep your car long term like me.
      01-21-2016, 01:43 AM   #7
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Thanks,
Jp.
We're running an Akrapovic Evolution system and ER Catless downpipes on our shop M4 (sans cats) and have no issues with fuel smell, some may be a bit more sensitive than others.

If this is still a concern, its best to keep the stock midpipe, there are no performance benefits to changing if keeping stock turbos. A stock exhaust with caqtless downpipes sounds pretty good on its own, especially with a controllable exhaust flap like the Macht Schnell EVC module.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:03 AM   #8
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Well the F3x is a single downpipe to a single pipe with a resonator to the muffler vs the F8x with a primary cat, to dual secondary cats. If you decide to do downpipes with the stock exhaust, the smell isn't too bad

We highly recommend downpipes with the stock exhaust OR doing the Active midpipe for added sound without any unattractive smells

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I run the akra EVO with ER catless DPs and I rarely ever have the smell. The only time I ever smell it is when I pull into my garage and the car is idling for a few moments then I get a brief smell but nothing crazy. Maybe i just am use to it I don't know but I have had no issues so far

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
M4 CSL
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I run the akra EVO with ER catless DPs and I rarely ever have the smell. The only time I ever smell it is when I pull into my garage and the car is idling for a few moments then I get a brief smell but nothing crazy. Maybe i just am use to it I don't know but I have had no issues so far
Same, I run Akra DP and akra Evo. The only time I get a breif wiff is when I first start up in the garage if windows down. Never smell anything when moving.

Being a child of the 70's I'm used to petrol fumes. I don't understand the delicate petals of today.

I remember the days of diesel trucks and buses bellowing black soot into your car as they went past, as no air con in those days in most cars. If a bus was coming everyone would hurry to wind up the windows as it went past..

But the kids of today are wrapped in cotton wool.
      01-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #11
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I have a catless convertible and dont get much smell at all. Even with roof down
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I never found the smell from catless downpipes to be an issue, but like mentioned above different people have different sensitivities. I would say unless you are overly sensitive there should be no issue with smell.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #13
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post

We highly recommend downpipes with the stock exhaust OR doing the Active midpipe for added sound without any unattractive smells
The Active midpipe sounds interesting, but from what I can see, it deletes the secondary cats - is this right?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #14
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Quote:
The Active midpipe sounds interesting, but from what I can see, it deletes the secondary cats - is this right?
Yes, it does delete the secondary cats

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Catless DP with Active midpipe sounds amazing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #16
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post
Well the F3x is a single downpipe to a single pipe with a resonator to the muffler vs the F8x with a primary cat, to dual secondary cats. If you decide to do downpipes with the stock exhaust, the smell isn't too bad

I want to change the exhaust tone of my car but cant justify buying an expensive exhaust system. Not quite sure if I want to do catless DP either. I would like it to be slightly deeper and louder than stock but no drone. Are you saying if I keep stock DP and stock exhaust... but change to Active midpipe, the sound will change tone?

Also, Will i have issues passig Smog testing later on without 2nd cat?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #17
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
I want to change the exhaust tone of my car but cant justify buying an expensive exhaust system. Not quite sure if I want to do catless DP either. I would like it to be slightly deeper and louder than stock but no drone. Are you saying if I keep stock DP and stock exhaust... but change to Active midpipe, the sound will change tone?

Catless downpipes while leaving the the stock exhaust and mid pipes will give you the sound you are describing.. Great combination.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

replacing midpipes only will change the tone.
You will still pass OBD emission test but might run into problems with the sniffer test

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Had a lengthy discussion with the team from Akrapovic during their visit from Slovenia at our facility. Some very exciting things coming through the pipeline.

They are considering offering a 200cpsi catted version of the S55 downpipes.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #20
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:

For catless downpipes you will need either JB4 / Macht Schnell / Akrapovic module to clear the CEL that will be present.
For the secondary cat being removed, if a legit smog station actually checked under your car then yes you would fail by inspection.
Some check the cars and some don't. That is the risk but the system is very easy to revert to stock so I would recommend to do that before taking a chance.
Appreciate 0