Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-19-2021, 03:47 AM   #1
Bladerosee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

So I am trying to figure out which I should apply on my car I am trying to get the most horsepower for the cash, i just got downpipes charge-pipes and cold air-intakes it says that this AFE is just a power module so would I be able to run different stages on it? because my goal is to get the most horsepower out of the engine without break obviously a engine can still break if pushed hard but lots of videos say you can run e85 mix with 92 on jb4 with a back-end tune and it still will be reliable but I was reading into this afe scorcher and it says it can't do back-end or stack tunes like a jb4 with Mhd can, I'm not even sure if it is a tune or like a just a power add but since my tuner that I'm trying to work with is really good at building has built over 1,500 go cars, said he has customer support with afe that's why he said it would be the best option but I'm not sure if you can get the same power with the afe he isn't a licensed or know bmw worker but was willing to work on mine I will be having downpipes intakes and charge pipes and I really wanna run e85 easily and get the gts transmission from Mhd to stack on with jb4 so I'm not sure what to do should I return the AFE and get the jb4 haven't seen videos or forums of the AFE anywhere and I'm worried I won't be able to stack tunes or even do custom tunes or if it's even technically a tune so what would be the best option

Ps: sorry I'm a noob still getting into the tuning/power community
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:40 AM   #2
BYT_M4C
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4C, '73 Cuda, '98 RSTi

What year is your car?

Regardless, don't you dare buy that aFe module...
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Best power for the dollar is a used BM3 license with the Stage2 E30 map ($350 plus $25 cable). That gets you about 500WHP. No other components needed, except removing your charcoal prefilters.
>>Read up on spun crank hubs, hub fix, and the CBC, Jimmy told U!<<
You can use the free BM3 GTS tune if you want a safer power level while U think about hub protection.

Your extra money goes towards a set of new ARM resonated DPs from Mike@X-PH. Then you get silicone chargepipes. Then fat wheels and tires become needed.
      01-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
Bladerosee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYT_M4C View Post
What year is your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYT_M4C View Post
What year is your car?

My car year is 2017 Competition, I was thinking of just returning it going jb4 because I heard it was safer since it's piggy back it won't over push the turbo and I heard once paired with a backend tune it's a monster not sure which way I should go , car at the moment will be having VRSF downpipes charpipes and a AFE cold air intake , I'm just not sure what to do because my performance mechanic is saying we should go with that ARE because he won't know how to work other products so that's why I'm thinking of doing that jb4 because it seems just as easy since it's a plug and play
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Best power for the dollar is a used BM3 license with the Stage2 E30 map ($350 plus $25 cable). That gets you about 500WHP. No other components needed, except removing your charcoal prefilters.
>>Read up on spun crank hubs, hub fix, and the CBC, Jimmy told U!<<
You can use the free BM3 GTS tune if you want a safer power level while U think about hub protection.

Your extra money goes towards a set of new ARM resonated DPs from Mike@X-PH. Then you get silicone chargepipes. Then fat wheels and tires become needed.
Agree on the tune + downpipe for the most HP gains

I'm not sure the used bm3 is a better value than a new one since you cannot sell the used license.

In your case OP paid $350 for a used bm3 which he will never get back and he has to pay for the Enet and phone adapter. If he gets a new one, he'll get a phone adapter and cable for free then can sell it later for $350.

Assuming he is getting it from us of course

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Mike,
Agreed. If he chooses to buy a new BM3 license so he can resell it later you do have the best price, with cable too.
-Jimmy