R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

09-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #67
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Kudos. Good to know that your sound deadening efforts have paid off. I've actually planned a whole sound-deadening-regiment myself in case I decide to install it again.

I think the source of a lot of the whirring and humming that annoyed me was amplified by the direct mating of the shifter and chassis; metal on metal. It kind of created a weird harmonic that would get in my head. Perhaps a thin rubber lining between the shifter and chassis mounting plates along with everything you've done will deaden it enough for me to be happy.
You know the satisfying clunk everytime you shift? Would that piece of rubber take away from that? I find that clunk the most rewarding part of the shifter besides the extremely short throw.

Have you been reinstalling your shifter yourself? Or have a shop do it for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 12:23 AM   #68
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Haha. I know what you mean. We purchased this car to be a great dual duty vehicle: daily and track/canyon, but the more we mod to track and canyon, it really becomes worse at the daily part.

Oh well, que sera sera...

Im still enjoying my car, but recently I've been eyeing a 4x4. =)
We bought the car exactly for that reason. We ended up buying a X3 as well so now with the pandemic the M3 gets driven to get groceries maybe twice a week.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:51 PM   #69
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drove around a bit with the newly greased and soundproofed shifter and I can definitely say that the NVH is dramatically improved. You should try it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #70
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Drove around a bit with the newly greased and soundproofed shifter and I can definitely say that the NVH is dramatically improved. You should try it.
So the main thing would be the greasing? You didn't add any rubber to the mounting right? Just some dynamat around the area.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #71
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
So the main thing would be the greasing? You didn't add any rubber to the mounting right? Just some dynamat around the area.
Yes but and its a big but, I put some dynamat on the shifter on strategic places where it wouldn’t interfere with the shifting. Like small pieces and stuck them on. Looks ghetto fab but man o man is it better. Cool thing is that you can still take it off if you would sell the item. That with the grease and some foam sound deadening material in empty cavities of the shifter and feels somewhat like a normal car now.
Appreciate 1
EvoFire99.00
      12-10-2020, 11:59 PM   #72
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Mine is sitting in a box and I haven't installed it.

Ever since having a kid I've only been driving the M3 by myself, which is all fine and dandy. We took it out with the kid the other day and all the noise that doesn't bother me all of a sudden are really loud.

Maybe cause I've been autoxing the shit out of the car stock and the tires are very worn now, but the tire hum was excessive on the highway. Compound that with I guess roads that are just of a lower quality, NVH that seemed completely fine when we did 160km/h in Germany seem unbearable at 100km/h in Canada.
I hear you man. Flying down the autobahn at 220, car was solid and didn’t seem that loud. But back in Alberta, going 120 with the wife and baby and the tire howl is crazy loud. Maybe it’s the continental tires? Maybe throwing 18”s on would quiet it down a bit. I guess if the car is loud anyways, why not install the shifter. I think I’d give it a go, plus it’s pretty much totally reversible. Did you ever install the shifter?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #73
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Yes but and its a big but, I put some dynamat on the shifter on strategic places where it wouldn’t interfere with the shifting. Like small pieces and stuck them on. Looks ghetto fab but man o man is it better. Cool thing is that you can still take it off if you would sell the item. That with the grease and some foam sound deadening material in empty cavities of the shifter and feels somewhat like a normal car now.
Could you show or say where, exactly, you added the sound deadening and the dynamat?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #74
dc5rob
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
interested to know any tips on where to put dynamat as well
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 12:12 AM   #75
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Nice....! I was just thinking about this....I put some Dynamat style material in my M2C and figured putting some on the tunnel and shifter would remove a lot of the NVH.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #76
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hey guys!

Sorry for the late reply but the pandemic and kids and work really keep you busy! Especially from driving the car!

Anyways, I added dynamat pieces to almost all parts of the shifter that is not impacted by moving parts or visibly seen. It looks super ugly, but it did help dampen the noise. Literally like 1 inch long by 1/4inch strips all over the beautiful shifter assembly. I'll try and take a picture when I have time, but who knows when my wife will let me go out and play in the garage.

Lastly, I think the most impact in noise abatement was using spray white lithium grease on the shifter joints and inside the rubber boot. A lot of my noise was rod noise and small, rattly noise when accelerating and this was just the metal on metal micromovements which greasing took away. My installer did not grease the shifter as stated in the instruction manual and that really helped in the noise. Like I said in my post above, you really have to close all the windows to hear any noise, but now it even bareable with the windows up.

Oh and I also stuffed sound foam inside the shifter tunnel which probably helped as well, but it was mainly the grease and the dynamat which reduced the overall NVH.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #77
dc5rob
Rep
Drives: F80

Thanks man. I feel ya.. I'm in the same boat with kids and work at home.. Hard to get away

Quote:
Hey guys!

Sorry for the late reply but the pandemic and kids and work really keep you busy! Especially from driving the car!

Anyways, I added dynamat pieces to almost all parts of the shifter that is not impacted by moving parts or visibly seen. It looks super ugly, but it did help dampen the noise. Literally like 1 inch long by 1/4inch strips all over the beautiful shifter assembly. I'll try and take a picture when I have time, but who knows when my wife will let me go out and play in the garage.

Lastly, I think the most impact in noise abatement was using spray white lithium grease on the shifter joints and inside the rubber boot. A lot of my noise was rod noise and small, rattly noise when accelerating and this was just the metal on metal micromovements which greasing took away. My installer did not grease the shifter as stated in the instruction manual and that really helped in the noise. Like I said in my post above, you really have to close all the windows to hear any noise, but now it even bareable with the windows up.

Oh and I also stuffed sound foam inside the shifter tunnel which probably helped as well, but it was mainly the grease and the dynamat which reduced the overall NVH.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #78
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ben View Post
I hear you man. Flying down the autobahn at 220, car was solid and didn’t seem that loud. But back in Alberta, going 120 with the wife and baby and the tire howl is crazy loud. Maybe it’s the continental tires? Maybe throwing 18”s on would quiet it down a bit. I guess if the car is loud anyways, why not install the shifter. I think I’d give it a go, plus it’s pretty much totally reversible. Did you ever install the shifter?
Super late reply.

No I never got around to it. I have Rogue Engineering monoballs and the shifter just sitting in storage because I don't drive the car. I've put on ~1000km since Nov till now.

And now I am thinking of getting rid of the car cause we are looking to upgrade our house. To get a bigger mortgage I'll need to get rid of the payment. The car payment buys me something around extra $350k of mortgage at the current rates. Might mean the difference of buying a duplex vs buying an actual house around here.

I still really want to drive the car with the shifter. Maybe in my next life
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #79
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Quote:
Kudos. Good to know that your sound deadening efforts have paid off. I've actually planned a whole sound-deadening-regiment myself in case I decide to install it again.

I think the source of a lot of the whirring and humming that annoyed me was amplified by the direct mating of the shifter and chassis; metal on metal. It kind of created a weird harmonic that would get in my head. Perhaps a thin rubber lining between the shifter and chassis mounting plates along with everything you've done will deaden it enough for me to be happy.
Raising this one from the dead a bit.
After much consideration I finally broke down and purchased a CAE shifter. After reading both about the issues and potential solutions with/for the increased NVH, I decided on a plan.

I purchased a few sheets of Dynamat XTreme and plan on using it not only to cover key areas on the shifter itself, but also as a rubberized gasket material on both the upper and lower mounting plates. My hope is that it dampens some of the vibration likely caused by the metal to metal mounting, along with reducing some of the reverberation on the shifter itself.

More to come once it finally arrives.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:54 PM   #80
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
Quote:

Raising this one from the dead a bit.
After much consideration I finally broke down and purchased a CAE shifter. After reading both about the issues and potential solutions with/for the increased NVH, I decided on a plan.

I purchased a few sheets of Dynamat XTreme and plan on using it not only to cover key areas on the shifter itself, but also as a rubberized gasket material on both the upper and lower mounting plates. My hope is that it dampens some of the vibration likely caused by the metal to metal mounting, along with reducing some of the reverberation on the shifter itself.

More to come once it finally arrives.
Awesome. Keep us updated. I still have my CAE shifter on the shelf. I think about reinstalling it every now and then. If I do, I'll be doing the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #81
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Shifter came in over the weekend, so I spent some time applying dynamat to select areas. I'm planning on installing it this Saturday, so I'll likely follow up with some installation pics and a quasi-DYI once it's all said and done in a separate thread.

For now though, here's some pre-install prep work:
Attached Images

For Sale
Appreciate 1
x.shell6576.50