EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

10-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #45
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
Another example, try mounting a 295 tire on an OEM 666 10" rear wheel and watch it bulb, according to your logic sidewalls should be completely straight since the true wheel width would be 11".

True wheel width is irrelevant for the sake of this discussion. Believe that's just adding confusion.
It should bulge out because a 295 mm tire is nominally 11.6” wide > 11”
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #46
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW M5+16'M4 GTS - M2 SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post
Just got this from Apex:

Front: 19x10" ET25 with 275/30-19 tires
Rear: 19x11" ET44 with 305/30-19 tires
Brake clearance: SB CCB
Available in SM-10 design only.
5mm front spacers may be required for certain aftermarket suspensions, see below.
Front 19x9.5" ET22 wheel can be used to avoid running spacers with certain aftermarket suspensions due to its superior inner clearance.
315/25-19 rear tires may also be used, but may require rolled rear fenders and/or negative camber.
Rear 295/30-19 tires can also be used.

With a 19x10" ET25 front and a 19x11" ET44 rear, you can run 275/30-19 front and 305/30-19 rear tires as a mostly direct fit on a stock car. Since the GTS utilizes a rebranded KW clubsport suspension, a 5mm front spacer will be required with the 19x10" ET25 wheels. If you are running an aggressive tire compound, such as the NT-01, this additional spacing may require some front negative camber to compensate. As an alternative, you can run the 19x9.5" ET22 up front, which will clear without a 5mm spacer or additional front negative camber. These 19" wheels will also have no problem clearing the larger CCB's if your GTS is equipped with them.

In a follow up email, they said that if I decided on the ET25 (25mm offset) front, With the required 5 mm spacer I might need to get some negative camber, so he was recommending the 19x9.5 ET22 with 275/30 for a completely stock compatible set up.

They offer a mounting and balancing, so I'm thinking Nitto NT-01.

I just sent them another email about the possibility of installing TPS at the same time.

I kind of went through this whole dilemma already regarding wheels for GTS. I knew that I want the 19x11 in the rear, but the front was concerning. Do I get 9.5" and keep the ability to clear suspension and drop the car? or do I 10" rims, then have to buy spacers, bolts, and camber plates.

I too spoke with APEX and was leaning towards the SM-10s in Anthracite... problem was that the front wheels became unavailable within the hour since I last checked it, so that was a no go. I spoke with Geirsen at APEX and he confirmed what the website updated too(BACK ORDERED UNTIL DECMBER). I cant wait until December since I have two track events in November and one rally in December. Bummer for me.

So rather than spending nearly (plus or minus a few hundred) $3K on a new set of wheels, tires, spacers, bolts, camber plates. I am just going to track my GTS with stock components at factory(street) height. I know this isn't ideal but at least I will set a base line for myself, maybe others. Ill try to lower if I ever get time to do so for track day.

Now aside from waiting for APEX SM-10's to be back in stock, Don't forget the say they will unveil some 19" Forged Rims, maybe EC-7R or SM-10R will become available in early 2021. Yes they will be a little more expensive, but Buy Once Cry Once seems to be the motto around these forums these days.

Honestly, I might get 9.5x19 and 10.5x19 (or 11") forged rims now, burn out the CCBs(Hopefully not), switch to M2C Brake rotors with more aggressive brake pads, and drop the car which would induce increased camber.

Reason being so I can be that guy that pushes harder to get the most out a relatively stock car. This way I show/compete with others out on the track. There will always be someone else putting more pro track stuff into a GTS to make it a GT4, one person who stands out the most is such as one member "YMS" or Ymotorsport on instagram.

Check their page on forums :
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1660084

In the mean time, I will be that guy doing the subtle changes to the GTS. Hopefully driving this car to its fullest potential.
Appreciate 1
h_bakken148.50
      10-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #47
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_397K View Post
Quote:
Just got this from Apex:

Front: 19x10" ET25 with 275/30-19 tires
Rear: 19x11" ET44 with 305/30-19 tires
Brake clearance: SB CCB
Available in SM-10 design only.
5mm front spacers may be required for certain aftermarket suspensions, see below.
Front 19x9.5" ET22 wheel can be used to avoid running spacers with certain aftermarket suspensions due to its superior inner clearance.
315/25-19 rear tires may also be used, but may require rolled rear fenders and/or negative camber.
Rear 295/30-19 tires can also be used.

With a 19x10" ET25 front and a 19x11" ET44 rear, you can run 275/30-19 front and 305/30-19 rear tires as a mostly direct fit on a stock car. Since the GTS utilizes a rebranded KW clubsport suspension, a 5mm front spacer will be required with the 19x10" ET25 wheels. If you are running an aggressive tire compound, such as the NT-01, this additional spacing may require some front negative camber to compensate. As an alternative, you can run the 19x9.5" ET22 up front, which will clear without a 5mm spacer or additional front negative camber. These 19" wheels will also have no problem clearing the larger CCB's if your GTS is equipped with them.

In a follow up email, they said that if I decided on the ET25 (25mm offset) front, With the required 5 mm spacer I might need to get some negative camber, so he was recommending the 19x9.5 ET22 with 275/30 for a completely stock compatible set up.

They offer a mounting and balancing, so I'm thinking Nitto NT-01.

I just sent them another email about the possibility of installing TPS at the same time.

I kind of went through this whole dilemma already regarding wheels for GTS. I knew that I want the 19x11 in the rear, but the front was concerning. Do I get 9.5" and keep the ability to clear suspension and drop the car? or do I 10" rims, then have to buy spacers, bolts, and camber plates.

I too spoke with APEX and was leaning towards the SM-10s in Anthracite... problem was that the front wheels became unavailable within the hour since I last checked it, so that was a no go. I spoke with Geirsen at APEX and he confirmed what the website updated too([SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]BACK ORDERED UNTIL DECMBER[/SIZE][/SIZE]). I cant wait until December since I have two track events in November and one rally in December. Bummer for me.

So rather than spending nearly (plus or minus a few hundred) $3K on a new set of wheels, tires, spacers, bolts, camber plates. I am just going to track my GTS with stock components at factory(street) height. I know this isn't ideal but at least I will set a base line for myself, maybe others. Ill try to lower if I ever get time to do so for track day.

Now aside from waiting for APEX SM-10's to be back in stock, Don't forget the say they will unveil some 19" Forged Rims, maybe EC-7R or SM-10R will become available in early 2021. Yes they will be a little more expensive, but Buy Once Cry Once seems to be the motto around these forums these days.

Honestly, I might get 9.5x19 and 10.5x19 (or 11") forged rims now, burn out the CCBs(Hopefully not), switch to M2C Brake rotors with more aggressive brake pads, and drop the car which would induce increased camber.

Reason being so I can be that guy that pushes harder to get the most out a relatively stock car. This way I show/compete with others out on the track. There will always be someone else putting more pro track stuff into a GTS to make it a GT4, one person who stands out the most is such as one member "YMS" or Ymotorsport on instagram.

In the mean time, I will be that guy doing the subtle changes to the GTS. Hopefully driving this car to its fullest potential.
Thanks for that . due to availability and other points you raise , I'm likely going to be doing my first ever track day with a completely stock set up , triple six wheels and my sport cup twos . fingers crossed .
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #48
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_397K View Post

I too spoke with APEX and was leaning towards the SM-10s in Anthracite... problem was that the front wheels became unavailable within the hour since I last checked it, so that was a no go. I spoke with Geirsen at APEX and he confirmed what the website updated too(BACK ORDERED UNTIL DECMBER). I cant wait until December since I have two track events in November and one rally in December. Bummer for me.

You WILL destroy your front tires if you are capable of any decent pace. At a minimum install camber plates and put a decent amount of front camber. Or set aside a pile of cash to replace front tires that look immaculate besides the outer shoulder being worn to cords.

Last edited by Gomeler; 10-29-2020 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 3
fanatic11018.50
redrumm3417.00
JLS_397K126.00
      10-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #49
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I am aware of that. I saw this with my first set of Cup2s that came with the car at Auto Club Speedway while at Bimmerfest.

yet, following that event.... I switch the fronts for PS4S and kept the rears original cup 2, and the car held up well on a 95+ degree day at buttonwillow and Auto Club.

Cup 2 weren't available at the time and considering I only had one set of wheels, I tried it mixed. .... yes the PS4S got grease but they did well for couple of laps, kinda impressed really. However they held up. no chunking no issues.

We are coming up to the holidays and money will end up being spent elsewhere.

I will burn these tires, replace them, and move on. Like I said, I will end up waiting to see what happens with APEX and if they come out with their forged products in 19 inch rims. These way when I buy,... I buy once and go to the track. At least starting small gives me the baseline, and every second gained is a win. Most of us are only trying to beat ourselves on the track. Otherwise we would all be in a GT4 or DTM race with B.O.P regulating. it would suck knowing someone spent an extra 10K to gain nothing compared to a stock car of equal make. Unfortunately I have not seen another GTS on track driven where I live to compare results. And some of these other BMW M4/Comp/CS are gutted/modified so much that you couldn't even take your date to dinner even if you tried.

I am the guy running close to stock components... close...meaning I will upgrade some things. Then this way we can see how much improvement has been made to a car and/or to the driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #50
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Any way you could post a pic of the plates installed?
hey bud, was sent this pic confirming i do indeed have GC camber plates installed.

on a side note, mechanic said "all bushings look new and pretty much everything looks brand new" so the car is in good shape.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
JLS_397K126.00
h_bakken148.50
      10-30-2020, 12:55 AM   #51
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786 View Post
hey bud, was sent this pic confirming i do indeed have GC camber plates installed.

on a side note, mechanic said "all bushings look new and pretty much everything looks brand new" so the car is in good shape.
Damn your lucky...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending the money for some new components on the GTS... aside from the mentioned holidays... I already spent damn near same amount of money for a whole new front suspension kit on my E60 M5.... and this is after the whole engine overhaul, and SMG replacement cost x 2.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 07:13 AM   #52
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:

That's awesome. I love finding little things like this, that the previous owner already spent money on the parts that I would probably get eventually
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #53
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
That's awesome. I love finding little things like this, that the previous owner already spent money on the parts that I would probably get eventually
Yes, agreed. It's the gift that keeps on giving lol. I have a few more tweaks to make it perfect then ill just drive and enjoy.

Btw, hit an easy 160mph otw to the dealer yesterday. Car was pulling hard, felt like it had a lot more in the tank.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #54
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, agreed. It's the gift that keeps on giving lol. I have a few more tweaks to make it perfect then ill just drive and enjoy.

Btw, hit an easy 160mph otw to the dealer yesterday. Car was pulling hard, felt like it had a lot more in the tank.
Did they do anything with the water injection while there?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they checked it and it was all functioning normally. No issues or codes. But my guy there went ahead and ordered the parts because the car is still under warranty. The valve block is in the States but the filter has a 2-3 week delay from Germany so i'm taking the car back in a couple weeks.

While it was there they changed the oil, flushed the coolant, flushed the brake fluid, and went over the car with a fine toothed comb. They found 3 stripped lugs so those were replaced and he is removing the harnesses installed by PO. Also, installed some K&N filters. He said car is perfect so im happy to hear that.
Appreciate 2
h_bakken148.50
      10-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #56
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, they checked it and it was all functioning normally. No issues or codes. But my guy there went ahead and ordered the parts because the car is still under warranty. The valve block is in the States but the filter has a 2-3 week delay from Germany so i'm taking the car back in a couple weeks.

While it was there they changed the oil, flushed the coolant, flushed the brake fluid, and went over the car with a fine toothed comb. They found 3 stripped lugs so those were replaced and he is removing the harnesses installed by PO. Also, installed some K&N filters. He said car is perfect so im happy to hear that.
Perfect! Couldn't have asked for better outcome.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #57
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Any way you could post a pic of the plates installed?

Great to hear!

So that's what the rebound adjusters look like!

Nice acid orange accent on the stock shock, very cool.

I need those GC camber plates...

I haven't had my wheels off yet.

Also your knuckle looks intact.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 07:25 PM   #58
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did your car have race harness?

If so how are they mounted I thought the stock seat was not compatible. If the PO found a way around this please post details!

OH! Where were the stripped lugs?
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #59
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great to hear!

So that's what the rebound adjusters look like!

Nice acid orange accent on the stock shock, very cool.

I need those GC camber plates...

I haven't had my wheels off yet.

Also your knuckle looks intact.
thanks man! ya i was happy to see the knuckles intact as well

Quote:
Did your car have race harness?

If so how are they mounted I thought the stock seat was not compatible. If the PO found a way around this please post details!

OH! Where were the stripped lugs?
yes it had harnesses the PO put in there, they were mounted to the roll bar and went over top/around sides, and under the stock seats (5-point). they were really uncomfortable and dumb looking for a street car so i had them removed.

stripped lugs were on one of the wheels, not sure which one but he replaced them with new lugs so all is well. did a run today and everything felt great, this car is so underrated.
Appreciate 1
h_bakken148.50
      11-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #60
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just some fun math, I took a few quick measurements of my stock set up.

Distance from one side of the tire's rim protector to the other is just over 55 cm, and the top of the tire at the protector is just over 1.9 cm inboard of the lower one.

Using Google and my junior high level geometry, assuming isosceles geometry, this calculates out to front wheels having just over 1.5° of camber, which I think is within factory specs. Probably there's some measurement error but it was a fun exercise.
Appreciate 0