Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

12-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #23
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc3153 View Post
BMW say you must only fit star rated tyres! I hope they bring out a star rated tyre for the fronts. Cheers.
Not at all true. As long as the tires have the appropriate load and speed ratings and are the correct size, you may use any tire.

Not sure why this "debate" is continuing. PS4S are fine and you can be confident in fitting them on your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #24
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
No to be honest their customer service which used to be exemplary is now pretty poor. BMW say you must only fit star rated tyres! I hope they bring out a star rated tyre for the fronts. Cheers.
Ah, i see. Thanks for responding. So i agree with you guys that it isn’t necessary to ‘strongly discourage’ a tire just because it’s not star rated. Particularly since the PS4S wasn’t even out yet when the GTS was developed/launched, and it represents a new generation of tire tech that wasn’t available at the time.

The one thing i just realized is that i don’t think they’ll CPO a car if it has non-star rated tires fitted. If that ever becomes an issue for anyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
The one thing i just realized is that i don’t think they’ll CPO a car if it has non-star rated tires fitted. If that ever becomes an issue for anyone.
What a scam.

Although it would be funny to roll up to the dealership with my Pirelli Ferrari Challenge slicks mounted and ask if these tires are BMW approved.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #26
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
What a scam.

Although it would be funny to roll up to the dealership with my Pirelli Ferrari Challenge slicks mounted and ask if these tires are BMW approved.
Your car will explode in a ball of flames......
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #27
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
No to be honest their customer service which used to be exemplary is now pretty poor. BMW say you must only fit star rated tyres! I hope they bring out a star rated tyre for the fronts. Cheers.
Just the "star" in itself is not enough. It has to be for the right vehicle.

Specific tires are designed and optimized for a specific vehicle application. For example, there are two star spec PSC2 in 265/35R19 size. One is for the front application of the M4 GTS/CS while the other is the rear M-Performance tire for the M2. They ARE NOT interchangeable. Going with the right specific tire for a given application is the safest bet. However. that being said, choosing an alternative appropriate tire can yield better desired result, depending on which specific compromise one desire to achieve. Further, tire development also means that sometime a more modern tire can yield better overall results than an older gen specific tire. It his however usually preferable to chose a tire that best matches the application in terms of front/rear fitment and wheel width, not only size and load.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0