R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-05-2021, 04:59 AM   #67
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP manual (previous)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
^Yep.

I traded my F80 M3 in for a B9 RS5 Sportback, mainly because I have a predisposition for AWD and really desired the interior tech in the current Audi lineup. That said, the G80 M3 has improved interior tech compared to the F80 and with Xdrive, it will be an absolute beast of a machine. If I can get over the grill, it just might be my next ride.
Any regrets or dislikes about the RS5? I am considering AWD again because of the traction out here in the NE. I am guessing it will be 2 years before the G80 is released and discounted.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:27 AM   #68
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Good call - The F80 has to be in the "top 3" of possible one car solutions currently available:

- daily driver with four doors
- fast and fun enough
- good looking
- not to big not to small
- long highway cruising no problem
- bad back just don't get the ZCP seats
- 6MT or auto you choose
- good gas mileage
- easy to mod if that's your thing
- some HDPE/track if you want

Nuff said
I’ll bite. What are the other 2 in top 3?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #69
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it View Post
I’ll bite. What are the other 2 in top 3?
I'd argue M5 for people who rarely go to the track is one of the greatest all around cars you can get.

M3/M4 for people with a little more of a performance lean (more than just stop light launches). M5 is too much of a cow but the new one does handle like it weighs less than it really is. Still not amazing but I've always been a fan.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #70
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Any regrets or dislikes about the RS5? I am considering AWD again because of the traction out here in the NE. I am guessing it will be 2 years before the G80 is released and discounted.
I feel ya. Here in Colorado, even with snow tires, driving the RWD M3 was a chore in the winter. Especially up in the high country, where we can get 1'+ of snow overnight. It was manageable but definitely required more patience and strategy. With snow tires the RS5 is an absolute tank. Regardless of how much snow is on the ground. Ground clearance is a wash between the two cars.

The option packed & customizable gauge cluster and MMI display in the RS5 make those in the F80 feel like they were last revamped in 2002. But that's not entirely fair because this could be said when comparing Audi's current interior tech to most other makes/models from 2019 and before. I think the G80 will close this gap.

That said, switching to/from full screen map navigation to a center or side mounted tach with all sorts of real-time monitoring metrics is very neat and I have found it to be quite handy. I'm approaching a year into ownership and I'm still finding new features and continue to have fun playing with it all.

Admittedly, I'm a pretty big "techie". So the above is a big factor for me in vehicle enjoyment. Aside from the tech in the dash, the interior quality (trim, seats/bolsters, stitching, leather, button/knob locations etc.) feels equal to the F80. I found the interior quality in the F80 to be excellent and Audi didn't seem to improve on that by a notable margin. In fact, I'd say the M3 has a bit better sound deadening in the doors. When you shut the doors, there's a solid "thud", for lack of a better term.

The RS5 doesn't have that same "thud". When you shut the doors it has more of a hollow sound and you can almost hear the internal bits moving around. It's almost like there is no sound deadening between the outer door shell and the interior door panel. It's kind of tough to explain until you feel both, side by side. But it is my one gripe as it does make the RS5 feel "cheaper". Well, at least until you get in and watch that gauge cluster come to life.

Aggressive exterior appearance goes to the M3. I do enjoy the look of the RS5. However, I won't deny it's more "subdued".

As for power/performance...

When the RS5 was stock, at highway speeds, it did feel a bit sluggish compared to my M3. But at 1,200 miles on the ODO I had the car reflashed by APR, adding "98lb-ft of TQ / 75hp" in the mid range. Now, when you hit the gas at highway speeds, the RS5 pulls much harder and now feels at least as fast as my M3 from 50MPH+. Granted, I'm comparing a tuned car to a stock car, which isn't fair and not "apples to apples". I just figure it's worth mentioning for this specific context.

At lower speeds or from a stop, stock vs stock the RS5 takes the cake. After the tune, it's not even worth trying to compare. This is all thanks to AWD. Which is why I think the Xdrive G80 is going to be pretty bonkers.

For a skilled driver, cornering is where the F80 would still pull ahead of the RS5, especially since it weighs ~500lbs less. But with AWD and constant traction, I feel much more confident whipping the RS5 through a corner and then mashing the throttle out of the turn, accelerating out like a rocket. But keep in mind, I am far from a skilled driver.

As for the other stuff: Suspension in the RS5 is more comfortable and less harsh, even with 20" wheels. Body roll feels about the same. Steering is less direct but still great. The B&O sound system in the RS5 lags behind the H/K system in the M3. Particularly in the bass department.

One of the big things that drew me to the RS5 was the large rear hatch. I know the M3 can handle daily Dad duty just fine. But the RS5 simply does it better, with tons of room in the back to fit a stroller, diaper bag and two other full size bags for longer trips. With that top rear shelf removed and the seats down, it has more usable room than my wife's SUV.

IB M2782.00
2011ninja3391.50
      01-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #71
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
The option packed & customizable gauge cluster and MMI display in the RS5 make those in the F80 feel like they were last revamped in 2002. But that's not entirely fair because this could be said when comparing Audi's current interior tech to most other makes/models from 2019 and before. I think the G80 will close this gap.
While I thought the MMI was beautiful (and agree with interior tech), I thought the RS5 interior (dash, shortcut buttons, trim) were subpar to BMW. I think what really got me was the $90K price tag for a car with a vinyl dash (and those silly shortcut buttons, there are actually a large piece of plastic) were big time turn offs. But the car sure is great looking and performed nicely.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #72
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 RS6, RR LWB, Raptor

What’s next for me 🎉
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25083.00
GERMAN M34181.00
Mar481099.50
duky1316.50
Darth One6612.50
      01-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #73
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Congrats to you, that is one mean and sexy looking wagon.

Enjoy the new beast
GERMAN M34181.00
      01-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #74
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
While I thought the MMI was beautiful (and agree with interior tech), I thought the RS5 interior (dash, shortcut buttons, trim) were subpar to BMW. I think what really got me was the $90K price tag for a car with a vinyl dash (and those silly shortcut buttons, there are actually a large piece of plastic) were big time turn offs. But the car sure is great looking and performed nicely.
Those shortcut buttons in the RS5 are funny. I always forget they're there and agree that they really don't seem like actual buttons. They feel and look like a cheap afterthought.

The price aspect is tough because while Audi definitely prices the RS5 high, it's pretty easy to get one for 15% - 20% off. I got mine for 15% off with minimal effort, dropping the price down to the low $70's. And I've read of many others getting upwards of 20% off, since I bought mine. In fact, the 15% off and the very good trade in they gave me for the M3, are what ultimately sealed the deal.

Another thing that this does bring to mind and should be mentioned, is the "Audi tax" for aftermarket parts. The markup on similar/same parts for the RS5 are literally 3x more than the M3 variant, from the same company. Especially when it comes to cooling upgrades. It's obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #75
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those shortcut buttons in the RS5 are funny. I always forget they're there and agree that they really don't seem like actual buttons. They feel and look like a cheap afterthought.

The price aspect is tough because while Audi definitely prices the RS5 high, it's pretty easy to get one for 15% - 20% off. I got mine for 15% off with minimal effort, dropping the price down to the low $70's. And I've read of many others getting upwards of 20% off, since I bought mine. In fact, the 15% off and the very good trade in they gave me for the M3, are what ultimately sealed the deal.

Another thing that this does bring to mind and should be mentioned, is the "Audi tax" for aftermarket parts. The markup on similar/same parts for the RS5 are literally 3x more than the M3 variant, from the same company. Especially when it comes to cooling upgrades. It's obnoxious.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I also came from an S4 and also think the G80 AWD is going to be a killer. On the other hand, while is tech is nice, it’s lower on my priorities and I still enjoy driving a manual. I am just tired of having a beater that I drive just as often than my m3 simply due to preference during bad weather. Talking on both sides of my mouth... while I don’t try to stand out, I enjoy how the M series is differentiated aesthetically. Honestly don’t think most people notice but I do. To me, I think it’s a negative that the 2021 A/S/RS refresh makes the RS5 less distinguishable. If dealers are willing to discount the RS5 more aggressively than I might be able to look past that. The tune on the RS5 is a plus because I don’t need any more power in the M, although i don’t want too much less either

Last edited by Nicky_do_it; 01-06-2021 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #76
GearRex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, E46 ZHP, 991.2 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoostedBMWM3 View Post
Hmm... that sound like a very clean setup. Do share more.
Here is the old girl. Still looks as impeccable as the day we met.

Name:  M3_exterior.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  385.3 KB
Name:  M3_Interior.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  275.7 KB

My friends always bother me, and say "you are taking care of the car for the next guy". I always think that I do it because I think I am going to keep it forever, until I see the next model....

I love driving her, even if at times I wish I had the DCT, for the red light Grand Prix, but the level of involvement on the manual is unparalleled. Just accept that you are not going to be the fastest off the line, and live with it.

But she is a looker.
Appreciate 4
doug_9992541.50
GERMAN M34181.00
Mar481099.50
      01-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #77
GearRex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs16 View Post

What’s next for me 🎉
That looks amazing. Congratulations!
Appreciate 1
jballs16549.00
      01-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #78
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearRex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
^^^This^^^
I'm going this route. I like the 997.2's, 991.1's, but cannot seem to part with my manual F80. I feel that I'd really regret unloading it for something like a beater/911 rotation.
I love the lines on the 991, it has the wide hips as the C4S on the 997.
No, it doesn't.
      01-07-2021, 02:06 AM   #79
GearRex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
No, it doesn't.
I stand corrected. Wide body only on 992 gen.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #80
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:

My local dealer, who had a 2019 RS5, in the spec I wanted (hint, Heated Steering wheel was a must) was barely taking 5% off - and they sold it at that price too! (or at least he said they did). This dealer also does not allow test drives of cars (yea, I'm serious - they were like "after you sign the papers we will allow it" - yea, well the car is mine then dumbass.)

There was a guy out on the East Coast that had a car where they were doing the 15-20% off - but the car only lasted a day or two at that price (and no, no heated steering wheel).

So I think my challenge (if I ever want to get into an Audi) is to find a dealer that is not a total you know what.....

Of course a Porsche dealer I just talked to that has a 992 C2S allocation wants a $10,000 non-refundable deposit to place my order... so what do I know?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #81
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply. I also came from an S4 and also think the G80 AWD is going to be a killer. On the other hand, while is tech is nice, it’s lower on my priorities and I still enjoy driving a manual. I am just tired of having a beater that I drive just as often than my m3 simply due to preference during bad weather. Talking on both sides of my mouth... while I don’t try to stand out, I enjoy how the M series is differentiated aesthetically. Honestly don’t think most people notice but I do. To me, I think it’s a negative that the 2021 A/S/RS refresh makes the RS5 less distinguishable. If dealers are willing to discount the RS5 more aggressively than I might be able to look past that. The tune on the RS5 is a plus because I don’t need any more power in the M, although i don’t want too much less either
I thought I'd miss the 6-speed but haven't found that to be the case. The transmission shifts so fast and so crisp that I find no reason to mess with it. Unless I'm on a twisty canyon road and want a little more interaction. Then I'll switch to the paddles. That said, I've heard that the F80 auto transmission is as good or better. Though, I've never personally driven one to compare against.

I should clarify that you're not going to get notably less power in the RS5. In fact, it has more HP/TQ. But there is a slight dip in power in the mid range with the stock tune, which can be felt at highway speeds. The APR tune more than resolves that, while also improving throttle tip-in/response. It makes such a difference for daily drivability that I'd dare to call it a "no brainer" for any new owner. Especially if you're coming from an M3, which has excellent power delivery to begin with.

With the tune, I haven't found a single situation in which the RS5 has felt slower than the M3. Even without the tune it's at least on par, in most scenarios. Also, if you pay a bit extra, the tune comes with a factory matching power train warranty. As such, I didn't hesitate to flash it, almost right away.

The 2021 facelift does blend the A5/S5/RS5 more and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel better about owning the 2019 pre-facelift model. However, it really is one of those situations where pictures "don't do it justice", as pictures don't seem to convey just how different they truly appear in person. When standing in front of them, side by side, the RS5 is quite clearly wider and has a more aggressive appearance than the S5, even with the black optics package on the S5.

When driving down the road, similarly packaged A5's and S5's look pretty much the same. But even at a far distance, you can tell that the RS5 is something different with broader "shoulders" and meaner presence as it comes towards you. Which is actually a bit odd since I think the RS5 is only ~1" wider. But when you see them parked side by side and step back a few feet, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear which route you go. Regardless of whether it's M3 to RS5, or to something else.

Last edited by DadVibes; 01-07-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #82
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearRex View Post
That looks amazing. Congratulations!
Thanks, man!
      01-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #83
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Congrats to you, that is one mean and sexy looking wagon.

Enjoy the new beast
Thank you! 🙂
      01-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #84
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What’s next for me 🎉
In my rant about the RS5, I completely missed this. That beautiful, beautiful V8TT. 🤤

I've been following the "RS6 Avant Deposit/Order" thread in Audizine, living vicariously through all of you. Congrats!
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      01-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #85
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:

What’s next for me ��
DAMN!!! Congrats Sir! Absolutely stunning!
      01-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #86
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I'm planning an F90, and working on my build now. If not, I will buy my F80. It's a fantastic car tbh. Best in its class imho

Also not a huge fan of the size of the F90, but other than the F87 CS, it's probably the best M BMW is building right now.

The G80 looks to be a fine car, but it's not for me, for so many reasons. Not even sure where to begin, but I'm not touching that platform at least until the LCI.

If you don't need 4 actual seats (I have 2 car seats in the back for now, one forward, one rear facing), get a used 997.2. That's what I was going to get before we got pregnant with our second...had to settle for the F80, but have been very happy.

My lease matures in April. Get an F90 along with me, we can be twinsies! A lot of F80 folks have jumped ship already and are loving it. Do it!!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #87
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

New Porsche 911 (992) S for me. F80 has been a thrill and I plan on hanging onto it even after I take delivery of the 911. I don't like the direction BMW is going with their new models. Gonna hang back on new BMW's and see what the future holds.
      01-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #88
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nmotion18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBread View Post
Stick with f80 and do yourself a favor get a 911 when the time is right