Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #67
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Why not? I've never had an issue, I don't think it's the same steaming broiling hot mess like engine coolant right?
It has a warning on the cap. I didn’t try to find out.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #68
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Did you guys read the actual contracts and compare the two? Are the coverage's the same? I am leaning towards fidelity primarily because they have been the underwriters for most BMW, Audi, etc. warranties.
This is key -- compare contracts! I am a finance manager at a European dealership and often hear: "I found a great deal online/through my credit union," Some pretty awful stated-component options and fly-by-night companies out there. Fidelity and EasyCare both very reputable, just ask for a draft contract to review before you sign & pay.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      08-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #69
Vehicle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Depends on your commitment to the car. Is it just a car, something which gets you from A-B, or do you have a passion specifically for your car, and are willing to carry some financial burden that is the ownership of not just a BMW in general, but a performance model?

There are always mixed experiences with not just the F8x cars, but BMWs in general. Is it going to be expensive if something breaks? yep. Are you going to get irritated at how expensive it is? yep.

Question is; how much do you love this woman?
Appreciate 2
zamboni1127.50
      08-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #70
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993 911 View Post
Quote:
Did you guys read the actual contracts and compare the two? Are the coverage's the same? I am leaning towards fidelity primarily because they have been the underwriters for most BMW, Audi, etc. warranties.
This is key -- compare contracts! I am a finance manager at a European dealership and often hear: "I found a great deal online/through my credit union," Some pretty awful stated-component options and fly-by-night companies out there. Fidelity and EasyCare both very reputable, just ask for a draft contract to review before you sign & pay.
Congratulations!?
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 11:15 PM   #71
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluM4 View Post
PM'ed.
Is there any reason why you can't post the price?
      08-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #72
slush2go
Rep
Drives: '16 MG DCT F80

I'm also on the same boat (warranty and maintenance are expiring in the upcoming month) with my 43k mile 2016 F80 daily driver. As such, I've been doing research to figure out if I should purchase either. Spoiler alert - will not be purchasing either.

Warranty Extension
Based upon other owners experience (on this forum), there is a low likelihood of catastrophic engine/transmission failure on these S55 motors (unlike BMW's N63 or S85). In addition, I watched Matt's Obsessed Garage video yesterday - icing on the cake for my decision. I concluded that I can tolerate a certain amount of risk with this car (have not had any issues yet/ I "baby" the car) and will forego any extended warranty.

Maintenance Extension
This decision was based upon cost analysis (for services covered under the extension) and value of time (i.e. taking to indy shop without loaner).
- Cost vs Value of Service: Under my situation (considering the 3 yr/125k extension ~$5k), the covered maintenance (for me) would include: 1) 3 Oil Changes; 2) Brake Fluid Change; 3) Differential Fluid Change; 4) Spark Plug Change. Based upon the above, I would overpay to extend my maintenance for $5k. The only unknown that I have - will I utilize my brakes enough to be covered by the extended maintenance (i believe BMW got rid of brakes under maintenance plans beginning MY17)? Based on my driving, I may cut it close. However, I do not want to pay the premium to find out.
- Time: If I do not extend my maintenance plan (and try to save money for each maintenance item), do I really want to drive an hour to go to a reputable BMW indy shop to perform maintenance? I know there many other places in my area (Houston), but just haven't researched others as of yet. My first 4 years of ownership has been so easy/convenient (dropping car off to dealer and receive a loaner), I would hate to give it up.
CONCLUSION - Prior to my last service (covered by BMW), I took my car to the indy shop and paid for a full inspection (~$200), where they performed a detailed review of the car (looked for any fluid leaks - including undercarriage, checked brakes, air conditioning, etc). They found no issues, except for wheel alignment (not covered by BMW). However, they did warn me about the Lithium Ion Battery and the costly replacement (confirmed by this forum). So, when I took my car into BMW for its final (covered) maintenance, I asked them to also "check" the battery. Sure enough, they deemed that it needed to be replaced (this is a $1,800+ service) .

My solution going forward will be to get small maintenance items performed by BMW dealership (i.e. oil changes and fluid changes) and get the bigger items performed by the indy shop (i.e. spark plugs, brakes).

I hope this post helps for anybody that may be considering extending maintenance and warranty.
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      08-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #73
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slush2go View Post
I'm also on the same boat (warranty and maintenance are expiring in the upcoming month) with my 43k mile 2016 F80 daily driver. As such, I've been doing research to figure out if I should purchase either. Spoiler alert - will not be purchasing either.

Warranty Extension
Based upon other owners experience (on this forum), there is a low likelihood of catastrophic engine/transmission failure on these S55 motors (unlike BMW's N63 or S85). In addition, I watched Matt's Obsessed Garage video yesterday - icing on the cake for my decision. I concluded that I can tolerate a certain amount of risk with this car (have not had any issues yet/ I "baby" the car) and will forego any extended warranty.

Maintenance Extension
This decision was based upon cost analysis (for services covered under the extension) and value of time (i.e. taking to indy shop without loaner).
- Cost vs Value of Service: Under my situation (considering the 3 yr/125k extension ~$5k), the covered maintenance (for me) would include: 1) 3 Oil Changes; 2) Brake Fluid Change; 3) Differential Fluid Change; 4) Spark Plug Change. Based upon the above, I would overpay to extend my maintenance for $5k. The only unknown that I have - will I utilize my brakes enough to be covered by the extended maintenance (i believe BMW got rid of brakes under maintenance plans beginning MY17)? Based on my driving, I may cut it close. However, I do not want to pay the premium to find out.
- Time: If I do not extend my maintenance plan (and try to save money for each maintenance item), do I really want to drive an hour to go to a reputable BMW indy shop to perform maintenance? I know there many other places in my area (Houston), but just haven't researched others as of yet. My first 4 years of ownership has been so easy/convenient (dropping car off to dealer and receive a loaner), I would hate to give it up.
CONCLUSION - Prior to my last service (covered by BMW), I took my car to the indy shop and paid for a full inspection (~$200), where they performed a detailed review of the car (looked for any fluid leaks - including undercarriage, checked brakes, air conditioning, etc). They found no issues, except for wheel alignment (not covered by BMW). However, they did warn me about the Lithium Ion Battery and the costly replacement (confirmed by this forum). So, when I took my car into BMW for its final (covered) maintenance, I asked them to also "check" the battery. Sure enough, they deemed that it needed to be replaced (this is a $1,800+ service) .

My solution going forward will be to get small maintenance items performed by BMW dealership (i.e. oil changes and fluid changes) and get the bigger items performed by the indy shop (i.e. spark plugs, brakes).

I hope this post helps for anybody that may be considering extending maintenance and warranty.
Is replacement of the battery covered under warranty?? I’ve never had a battery covered under warranty before.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #74
karlskry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Silverstone/Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknlo View Post
This seems like the most reliable M car yet.

I got one of the axle seals on the diff and the M badges on the seats replaced on the last day of the warranty, which was 2 days after I bought the car.
Lol this was my exact scenario- just add the USB port to that list.

No issues, 46k on it so far
Appreciate 2
fknlo88.50
      08-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #75
BluM4
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue M4

Quote:
Can you pm me the name of a contact to get easycare quote from?

Thanks.
Sorry, I was traveling. Here is the info:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=165

Last edited by BluM4; 08-16-2019 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      08-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #76
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Sorry, I was traveling. Here is the info:

That link doesn’t work.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #77
BluM4
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue M4

Quote:
That link doesn’t work.
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      08-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #78
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I too am debating this issue on my 2016 with 33k miles and a warranty expiration date of 12/19.

My car has had 3 warranty issues so far, bad spark plug, bad cat gasket and new seal on top of front window.

That said my 2013 M6 had many warranty problems, all covered by the factory warranty program (24 days in the shop chasing excessive engine oil consumption, parts alone were 3k). Paid $5200 for platinum 2/75k

I drive 8-9k a year, and have a good indy as well, so probably will not extend this time unless problems crop up this fall.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #79
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Nice! Travis will hook it up! Tell him that I sent ya!

Julian.
Appreciate 1
BluM459.50
      09-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #80
yusheng123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Nice thread! I am facing the same issue, and still struggling.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #81
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
I concur, anybody looking at extended warranty should shop around and check out the BMW warranty via Checa, Fidelity warranty via Troy and EasyCare. Once you make these phone calls, deciding what makes the most sense is an easy decision.
Does this mean Checa only sells BMW extended warranties where Troy sells Fidelity and EasyCare? I'm interested in an EP but will have to go 3rd party because the factory warranty is expired.

What is Troy's contact info and who to contact for EasyCare if it's not troy?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #82
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

Got my wife a ‘18 M3 this past Halloween weekend. Will likely to get an Platinum extended warranty from GOLFFRR as we plan on keeping it as long as we can, we just love the this gen and bodystyle of the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #83
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Best deals in town!! here is the link to our gal Christine

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676787

worth a few moments of your time!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #84
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

Warranty expiring I am the warranty.
      01-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #85
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I'm 6 months out of warranty. Need to replace both front lower control arms (ball joints have play, never lowered car, caused vibration when turning), and have a valve cover gasket leak and oil filter housing leak.

Indy price would come out to 1k minimum (suspension is $400ish for 2 lower control arm parts, then $100 alignment + labor and I'm not sure about the other stuff yet) and dealer is going to be more for sure. Keep in mind I only have 37k miles on a stock car that's never been tracked. I think an extended warranty is always worth it on these cars. This is why in the future I'm just going to stick to leasing. Outside of the money, sending my car to the dealership is just annoying again and again.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:36 AM   #86
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
I'm 6 months out of warranty. Need to replace both front lower control arms (ball joints have play, never lowered car, caused vibration when turning), and have a valve cover gasket leak and oil filter housing leak.

Indy price would come out to 1k minimum (suspension is $400ish for 2 lower control arm parts, then $100 alignment + labor and I'm not sure about the other stuff yet) and dealer is going to be more for sure. Keep in mind I only have 37k miles on a stock car that's never been tracked. I think an extended warranty is always worth it on these cars. This is why in the future I'm just going to stick to leasing. Outside of the money, sending my car to the dealership is just annoying again and again.
I think you’ll still be in the hole. Control arms aren’t covered by BMW extended warranty (gold or platinum) or ball joints either.

The valve cover gasket and oil filter gasket will be covered but not sure how much this would cost out of pocket. If it’s only 1000, you’ll still need repairs to make up the 3-4K difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #87
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:

I think you’ll still be in the hole. Control arms aren’t covered by BMW extended warranty (gold or platinum) or ball joints either.

The valve cover gasket and oil filter gasket will be covered but not sure how much this would cost out of pocket. If it’s only 1000, you’ll still need repairs to make up the 3-4K difference.
They covered ball joints/control arms thankfully. Total job was 3k. I'm sure at an Indy would've been less.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #88
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
They covered ball joints/control arms thankfully. Total job was 3k. I'm sure at an Indy would've been less.
That’s interesting. It’s not listed in the extended coverage. It’s like the entire suspension isn’t covered in BMWs warranty except steering.
Appreciate 0