Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #23
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Gents, I have a question in regards to GC turbos. If you upgrade, can you run OEM tune with these turbos as CA has started to detect tunes? Of course no craziness, just to get inspection done.
Yes, you can run the factory tune on just about any bolt-on turbo for the S55 that utilizes the factory electronic wastegates. You can also run any aftermarket OTS map as you please, neither will give you the benefit of having upgraded turbos.

I've personally been using BMS' free E85 map set to factory boost targets with no issues so far.
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M756.00
      01-13-2021, 06:25 PM   #24
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Hey bro, did you also installed the VTT crack hub fix?
I need to schedule with shop, next month for sure.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #25
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Thanks for everyone's reply, HyeM3 nailed it. I don't want everybody to panic but be aware that these new features at smog stations are real and no way around them yet..
Friedpiston that's excellent news, just thinking ahead as I keep my cars for a while and I dislike chasing the latest and greatest. I'm old school lol.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11468.50
HyeM3464.50
F80_Greg135.50
      01-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #26
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
Got mine installed in November.
It’s January now and I have Pure 2+ on the car.
What’s that tell you...
Same thing with me, ordered GCs. Returned both sets after RMA with the first set. Pure stage 2+ will be here tomorrow actually. Quality control just ain't there.. Actually wanted them work, it was a good deal at the time.
      01-13-2021, 11:25 PM   #27
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
Same thing with me, ordered GCs. Returned both sets after RMA with the first set. Pure stage 2+ will be here tomorrow actually. Quality control just ain't there.. Actually wanted them work, it was a good deal at the time.
Yup. I know how u feel ...
Appreciate 1
F80_Greg135.50
      01-14-2021, 12:22 AM   #28
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
What was wrong with the units?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:22 AM   #29
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
What was wrong with the units?
Poor quality control and cheap casting. They are identical to no brand eBay turbos. I'm sure the internals are the only things swapped out. I had issues with the compressor side not being milled out properly, wheel was like hair away from touching the housing. Uneven to all the sides as far as the clearance and gap between the walls of the compressor wheel surrounding housing. Pitting in the cast metal in the compressor housing, poorly machined waste gate flap mating surface, poor welding on the waste gate arm. Stuff like that, no idea if the turbos would have functioned properly but with visibly poor QC on the exterior, i wasn't going to risk installing them on my car. Especially after paying 4k for them. Don't get me wrong, i would have really loved for them to have arrived in good shape, i would have ran them 100%. I received a full refund and therefore i was made whole. So i can't bash VTT by any means, just giving my personal experience with the GC turbos
      01-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #30
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Hi Greg,

One correction, the units most certainly are not identical to no-brand ebay turbos, they were ground up designed by and for VTT.

The issues that you had were cosmetic in nature only, and as we previously discussed would not impact form, fit, or function. Nevertheless, we understand your preference and fully refunded you. We really prefer happy customers! As stated above, literally hundreds of these out in the field, very few issues -of those that have issues, it's normally someone winding them out very aggressively (which we like to see/hear.... but everything breaks if you lean on it hard enough).

Best,
Chris
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #31
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Hi Greg,

One correction, the units most certainly are not identical to no-brand ebay turbos, they were ground up designed by and for VTT.

The issues that you had were cosmetic in nature only, and as we previously discussed would not impact form, fit, or function. Nevertheless, we understand your preference and fully refunded you. We really prefer happy customers! As stated above, literally hundreds of these out in the field, very few issues -of those that have issues, it's normally someone winding them out very aggressively (which we like to see/hear.... but everything breaks if you lean on it hard enough).

Best,
Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for clearing that up. Like i stated I have no issues with VTT as I was made whole at the end of the story. I actually run your CBC kit on my car along with the Max Psi crank hub. To potential buyers, GC turbos are definitely a bargain as they perform & make more power than Pure HF hybrids which is more costly and has a core charge. Chris is also a stand up guy from my experience as he answered all (a lot) of my questions and took care of my refund process.
      01-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #32
S55freak
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Hi Greg,

Best,
Chris
If i buy some turbos would i be able to pick up at your guys warehouse in Hayward same day..? Also if any issues with fitment or anything can i get a full refund? Lastly can oem airbox work with these turbos? Or will i need aftermarket intakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #33
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S55freak View Post
Quote:
Hi Greg,

Best,
Chris
If i buy some turbos would i be able to pick up at your guys warehouse in Hayward same day..? Also if any issues with fitment or anything can i get a full refund? Lastly can oem airbox work with these turbos? Or will i need aftermarket intakes.
You'll want to run aftermarket intakes and catless downpipes at the very least with upgraded turbos. Aluminum charge pipes are a good idea as well due to cracking possibilities from increased cold side boost pressures. Ideally full bolt on with a custom tune. Not sure what mods you have but just an idea. I can recommended Paul & Cary from personal experience as I have tunes from both well known tuners for the s55 platform. You will have some issues with some intakes that do not replace the rubber 90 degree boot before the Air Flow sensor on the passenger side. VTT will provide silicone inlets for front and rear turbos. I have heard some guys running a piece of 3" PVC pipe to adapt to the silicon inlet. I would run the FTP 90 degree rear turbo intake pipe with GC turbos instead & not use Mickey Mouse PVC pipes. That's just my .02
      01-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #34
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
You'll want to run aftermarket intakes and catless downpipes at the very least with upgraded turbos. Aluminum charge pipes are a good idea as well due to cracking possibilities from increased cold side boost pressures. Ideally full bolt on with a custom tune. Not sure what mods you have but just an idea. I can recommended Paul & Cary from personal experience as I have tunes from both well known tuners for the s55 platform. You will have some issues with some intakes that do not replace the rubber 90 degree boot before the Air Flow sensor on the passenger side. VTT will provide silicone inlets for front and rear turbos. I have heard some guys running a piece of 3" PVC pipe to adapt to the silicon inlet. I would run the FTP 90 degree rear turbo intake pipe with GC turbos instead & not use Mickey Mouse PVC pipes. That's just my .02
Nailed it. You can tweak some of the stock stuff to work with upgraded turbos but at best you're hamstringing yourself. Do it up, throw some intakes on, let that baby breeaaaaath like the turbos want it to.

Remember guys, an engine is an air pump. Anything you can do to help it breath -on the intake side or exhaust side- will always help out. When you get bigger, better, higher flowing and sweet looking turbos like the GC's, you're forcing more air in with seeming impunity, but even then -especially then- the plumbing matters.

There are a small subset of people who are absolutely constrained by visual differences. Those guys are going to keep anything visible stock.... and they're going to pay a price for it with potential safe HP/TQ numbers. Hey, it's still a win, just not as much of a win as it could be.

Best,
Chris
Appreciate 1
F80_Greg135.50
      01-15-2021, 12:37 AM   #35
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Same day? Maybe. They need to be put together -email sales@vargasturbo.com to set that up.

Fitment? There aren't going to be issues. You need to be experienced, some tweaking is required -these are much higher flowing than stock. Someone else just asked the same question, they fit like stock, but due to the larger diameter you're going to have to do some tweaking when it's all said and done. What's that mean? Rear turbo heat shield, re-clocking parts -this is all basic minor tweaks needed for anything that flows a ton more than stock.

OEM airbox is best left for OEM turbos and OEM tune. You can do it, but turbo compressor maps are made on differential pressure. You can have 25psi difference between the intake and the compressor discharge because you're running 25 psi, or you can have 25 psi difference because your intake sucks (not literally) and you're pulling a vacuum at the compressor inlet and 22 psi at the compressor discharge -the turbo doesn't know the difference, the dyno does. What's the stock airbox good to? No idea. I wouldn't run it unless I had to, and if I had to, I'd accept the fact that I wasn't going to make the same power as those who don't have to run it. Thems the facts.

Best,
Chris
Appreciate 2
F80_Greg135.50
Wanted_M756.00
      01-15-2021, 03:23 AM   #36
S55freak
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Same day? Maybe. They need to be put together -email sales@vargasturbo.com to set that up.

Fitment? There aren't going to be issues. You need to be experienced, some tweaking is required -these are much higher flowing than stock. Someone else just asked the same question, they fit like stock, but due to the larger diameter you're going to have to do some tweaking when it's all said and done. What's that mean? Rear turbo heat shield, re-clocking parts -this is all basic minor tweaks needed for anything that flows a ton more than stock.

OEM airbox is best left for OEM turbos and OEM tune. You can do it, but turbo compressor maps are made on differential pressure. You can have 25psi difference between the intake and the compressor discharge because you're running 25 psi, or you can have 25 psi difference because your intake sucks (not literally) and you're pulling a vacuum at the compressor inlet and 22 psi at the compressor discharge -the turbo doesn't know the difference, the dyno does. What's the stock airbox good to? No idea. I wouldn't run it unless I had to, and if I had to, I'd accept the fact that I wasn't going to make the same power as those who don't have to run it. Thems the facts.

Best,
Chris
What about if your running oem box with bmc drop ins..? Charcoal removed
Appreciate 1
MJ6963.50
      01-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #37
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

When you say intakes are highly recommended, would a system like the Dinan intake system apply? I have the dinan intake and it is a sealed setup as the oem but with cone filters rather than panel inside. I don't understand what parts on the OEM setup won't fit well with these turbos that replacing with intakes will take care of
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #38
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
I need to schedule with shop, next month for sure.
So no issues with the new turbos without the VTT crank fix but you are going to install it.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #39
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
When you say intakes are highly recommended, would a system like the Dinan intake system apply? I have the dinan intake and it is a sealed setup as the oem but with cone filters rather than panel inside. I don't understand what parts on the OEM setup won't fit well with these turbos that replacing with intakes will take care of
I have not seen air flow data with Dinan intake, i always recommend open intakes with upgraded turbos

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #40
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Generally speaking drop ins are a very minor upgrade over stock. If you must have the stock parts, that's a good path to go, but no substitute for DCI's.

Quote:
As far as the Dinan, usually their intakes are pretty good but we haven't personally tested it. Not all intakes are the same, some are complete plumbing for larger turbos, some utilize the stock plastic elbow, if you run a set that utilizes the stock plastic elbow you'll have to rig something up to adapt them. Whereas something like the VRSF High Flow Upgraded Air Intake Kit fits fine. It's not a difficult problem to solve, just be advised that not all aftermarket intakes are the same.

Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #41
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My buddy just installed GC's and has the Dinan intake. He said everything fit pretty good
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #42
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Generally speaking drop ins are a very minor upgrade over stock. If you must have the stock parts, that's a good path to go, but no substitute for DCI's.

Quote:
As far as the Dinan, usually their intakes are pretty good but we haven't personally tested it. Not all intakes are the same, some are complete plumbing for larger turbos, some utilize the stock plastic elbow, if you run a set that utilizes the stock plastic elbow you'll have to rig something up to adapt them. Whereas something like the VRSF High Flow Upgraded Air Intake Kit fits fine. It's not a difficult problem to solve, just be advised that not all aftermarket intakes are the same.

Chris
Chris that picture seems very familiar 😂 I think that's the one i sent? Lol
      01-15-2021, 10:52 PM   #43
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Genuinely curious if there are any dyno comparisons which support the claim that an aftermarket intake flows better or provides any benefit over that of the stock box and drop-in filters, specifically in the context of supporting modifications when upgrading turbos.

For Sale
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #44
S55freak
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
Genuinely curious if there are any dyno comparisons which support the claim that an aftermarket intake flows better or provides any benefit over that of the stock box and drop-in filters, specifically in the context of supporting modifications when upgrading turbos.
Fr.. i heard drop ins are best for stock turbos.. so curious about any data regarding upgraded turbos
Appreciate 0