Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Crazy People Bothered by Amplified Engine Noise?

I really don't understand why so many people seem bothered by this. I've heard it far too many times.

As we know there is a microphone in the engine bay that picks up the sound of the engine and pumps it through the speakers. This saves weight over an firewall sound port, creates clearer sound and results in lower road noise.

I just honestly can't believe that people are so bothered by having a microphone and speakers instead of a muffled sound tube like most manufacturers use.

Do these same crazy people attend a conference and then complain that the speaker is using a microphone and speakers and insist that an antiquated speaking trumpet be installed on stage?

I just don't get it. I could sort of understand if the analog sound was higher quality clearer and less muffled but the digital one is way better in every measure of quality. It's clearer crisper and has a better fidelity.

Does anyone else think the backlash against this new tech is silly?

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
XtoM
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4. Soon......

its just people desperately trying reasons to bitch and moan about something they weren't going to buy anyway and claiming that is the reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
You make a good point, especially if it actually saves weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtoM View Post
its just people desperately trying reasons to bitch and moan about something they weren't going to buy anyway and claiming that is the reason.
This.

And I don't want to hear anything about heritage or purity crap. You are not a race car driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
XtoM
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4. Soon......

The system in the M5 that had the "purists" up in arms was so unobtrusive I didn't even notice it, I even thought sounded too quiet, so how exactly are we supposed to believe the naysayers when they say the non prerecorded system in the M4 it going to be terrible?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Excellent trolling. 9.5/10
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtoM View Post
There are the same people who are infuriated that BMW still does not produce the E30 M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

amplified sound is a solution to a problem created by other compromises to make this vehicle appealing to the widest market possible. any way you call it still its artificial.

this is all due to people complaining of hearing any noise made by the car. its why the US spec E46 M3 didn't have floating rotors. god forbid if you hear a noise. there is so much sound deadening material in new cars and more and more layers of technology designed to isolate the driver. on a bentley or a big 7 this is ideal. but on a sports car its counter intuitive. so the engineered solution is to play the only sound track from the car that the majority wants to hear.

this is not about wanting the glory days of the past, technology used in the spririt of the intent is cool. in this case its a sports car. amplifying its noise through the speakers is not cool.
      11-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

I'm not sure who's crazier, those whom you claim are crazy because they are bother by this, or those who think those who are bothered by this are crazy.

I think very few would see this issue as a show stopper and, IMO, all that would be needed to nip this in the bud is for BMW to simply allow drivers the ability to turn off this feature should they so desire. Just give us the option.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

I work long days taking care of people all day. My drive to and from work makes my day. I have the upgraded sound system in my M3, but I never turn it on because I love the sound of the engine. It soothes me!!! From an entertainment standpoint, I will trade purity for my own pleasure because I just love the M engines more than music most days. So please amplify it a bit so on colder days I can hear it!

That being said, I love great music and I'm a jazz drummer, so I will still get the HK upgrade so when I want tunes they sound great.
      11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Its not about the noise

Its that a great car company would stoop to this level to make peeps happy...what if your girlfriend had to amplifiy her squeels to make you happy? would it make you feel like more of a man...or you do you prefer the ACTUALL groans she makes at the level she intends you to hear?

I would just prefer the ACTUALL cabin noise. You know for years M cars have had so so brakes because BMW knew that drivers would purchase BBK for the track...So why give use this amplified sound knowing most enthusiasts will purchase aftermarket exhaust...Ill tell you why..its because M stands for marketing NOT motorpsorts anymore.

Sorry if I offended any female board members..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minator
Its that a great car company would stoop to this level to make peeps happy...what if your girlfriend had to amplifiy her squeels to make you happy? would it make you feel like more of a man...or you do you prefer the ACTUALL groans she makes at the level she intends you to hear?

I would just prefer the ACTUALL cabin noise. You know for years M cars have had so so brakes because BMW knew that drivers would purchase BBK for the track...So why give use this amplified sound knowing most enthusiasts will purchase aftermarket exhaust...Ill tell you why..its because M stands for marketing NOT motorpsorts anymore.

M doesn't stand for marketing, it stands for money. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

As I've owned more cars in my life, and driven countless loaners and rental cars, I've realized how important cabin isolation is to me. I want a solid, rattle free cabin with muted road noise and NO suspension or mechanical sounds. When I want my car loud, I'll hit the gas. So if I buy an M, I'm glad it can give me both.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minator View Post

Sounds like you prefer a Ford Mustang...

How can people be so backwards?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Its that a great car company would stoop to this level to make peeps happy...what if your girlfriend had to amplifiy her squeels to make you happy? would it make you feel like more of a man...or you do you prefer the ACTUALL groans she makes at the level she intends you to hear
For me, it would depend on whether we were in a survivalist bunker in Idaho, or a rest room on a commercial flight. It's a matter of personal preference.

BTW, worst...analogy...EVER!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Minator
Whatever
Rep

your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
For me, it would depend on whether we were in a survivalist bunker in Idaho, or a rest room on a commercial flight. It's a matter of personal preference.

BTW, worst...analogy...EVER!
Analogy did suck...but you get my point why do you need any unnatural sound in the cabin? just let it make what noise it makes!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
Minator
Whatever
Rep

2015 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post

Hey chill:

Never owned a stang but looks like the 2015 will be formitable...it has nothing to do with being backwards..I LOVE tech..but it some cases newer is not always better and a performace SPORTS car should not need amped up engine noise pumped into speakers period!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Minator
Whatever
Rep

I get it now!

Quote:

So I did not know the mustang had a sound tube going into the cabin to transfer engine noises....What is the world coming to?

When my I drive orders for me at the drive through...oh wait a minute maybe does and I just don't know how to get the combox to do that!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

The last-gen Boss 302 was a very formidable opponent for the E9x M3. With better suspension, the next-gen Boss can only be better. The only thing that drove me away from a Mustang was the interior, but it's still a great 'sportscar.'
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
MisterEm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow turd

You have to have skin in the game to have a relevant discussion and want someone to hear your opinion.

I could be wrong here, but my guess is generally folks who complain about the new M3 are current E9XM owners who are not lining up with a deposit at their local dealer - regardless of the powerplant or artificial noise.

Again, they have no skin in the game. None of us do frankly, unless your deposit is in.

Sounds alot like the S54 purists who hated the S65 V8 idea. It is all crickets from that bunch in 2013.
      11-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I really don't understand why so many people seem bothered by this. I've heard it far too many times.
I just don't get it. I could sort of understand if the analog sound was higher quality clearer and less muffled but the digital one is way better in every measure of quality. It's clearer crisper and has a better fidelity.
Really?

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:

Along the same lines, i prefer actual groans and real boobs over fake bolt-ons … but i can always accommodate both!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Guaranteed the new engine isnt going to sound anything like the s65. Just like the s63tu transition from the s85. The s55 is undergoing the exact same thing. And you cant have the new car sound like shit compared to the old one.

Im talking about induction noise - its just not happening in a turbo engine. Thats just reality.
Appreciate 0