EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-30-2020, 04:01 AM   #1
Charleskirkp060889
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Downpipes and Tune on a M4cs... advice welcome!

Hi all,

Looking for some friendly advice on down pipes and re-tuning of my M4CS. Currently considering the akrapovic down pipes for the car and have the following questions;

- Anyone who has made this change, were you happy with outcome, I.e. good change to the exhaust note etc.
- What did people pay for this kind of work including a retune on the engine. Being honest, I have no idea what this kind of work should cost so wanted to know what others had paid for similar work.
- also, has anyone had any issues with MOT’s due to the decat system. I am leaving all the other parts of the system stock.

Thanks all and appreciate any comments or feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

honest question why do you want downpipes and a tune
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

You can get VRSF or other catless downpipes for 400-600 range. I don't know much about akrapovic I know they're expensive, but most people run cheaper downpipes I don't know if the extra "quality" is there for more than double the price but it's up to you.

Installation should be around 200ish for downpipes depending where you are, some shops will try to rip you off.

Bootmod3 stage 2 (catless downpipes required for stage 2, stage 1 is just tune no DP) is 595$ to flash can all be done at home by yourself with an OBD cable to your laptop. Custom tunes are more, they vary a lot in pricing. It's up to you and what you want to do in terms of how much extra power you want compared to the OTS tune. You'd be around 480-510 wheel stage 2 93 octane, sometimes a little more which from what I hear feels fast as hell compared to stock.

Plus the CS's come with Michelin Cup 2's sometimes so you can put the power down even better.

Don't pay like over 300 for DP installation that would be a scam, if you're in NY Pm me i'll put you onto reasonable pricing reliable shops near by for installation and more advice on tuning etc. RK tunes, VF, DME, F80 Paul are to name a few methods of tuning although I'm pretty sure you need Bootmod3 to be flashing the F80 Paul tunes but I might be wrong ab that, if anyone knows please correct me.

F80 Paul is known to build race cars that are relatively reliable consider they push insane power, he knows what he's doing he makes the fastest stock turbos F8x in the U.S.

DME is known for reliability they're like 1500$ good tune good service.

VF is great but I feel like a lot of the Spun crank hubs and DCT problem F8x on here usually are running either Jb4 or VF.
Lots of people love VF idk.

Stay way from JB4; it's the cheapest way to make power but if you can afford a CS you can afford to not go thru JB4, not even a true tune. It just ups the boost lol.

Lastly, I would recommend considering staying stock and just doing some exhaust work (non-DP). Power is put down better, car is more well balanced and less likely to step out on you, spinning crank hub becomes more likely, easier to maintain, have to change out tires less often bc you're not spinning everywhere, car can sound a lil raspy with DPs, the CS exhaust is great as is etc. etc. etc.

Your car though, your decision. I'd drive a Stage 2 M4 on BM3 or something making 500 wheel so you know what it feels like to drive a high horsepower rwd car because stage 2 and traction don't go well together in my opinion, but again it's all personal preference and other factors like tires and driver experience play a key role.

Last edited by bsmf8x; 05-30-2020 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
raym3cs152.50